• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

LeftWinger

2017 NHLTrade Deadline Discussion

Rate this topic

Simple, do the Wings Buy to try to make the playoffs or SELL to get draft picks and rebuild.  

101 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

A smidgen off subject, but still has to do with acquiring players. From finishing so low, It'll be nice next October to have almost first Crack at players being waived out of their training camps! Not that there are too many great pickups, but sometimes you get a diamond due to numbers...

Ansar's thoughts:

Blashill could be on the hot seat, but I don't think the club will replace him during the season. I think they'll evaluate after the season.

I think Blashill earned more time based on a track record of success everywhere he's been, including a Calder Cup championship with the Grand Rapids Griffins in 2013.

In regards to Assistant coaching changes...

If they were to make a change, I think it would start with the head coach and the new coach would decide the fate of the assistants. But, like I said above, I don't think that will happen in-season.

In regards to Vanek...

The Red Wings will probably wait until closer to the deadline to get the best possible return (guessing a second-rounder and perhaps an additional third- or fourth-round selection or maybe a prospect).

He's not coming back in the summer. He'll want a multi-year deal at a significant increase. The Red Wings won't have much cap space and have several younger players to sign over the next two seasons

Vanek, as much as he has enjoyed his time here, probably will want to go to a Stanley Cup contender, not a rebuilding team.

In regards to trading either Tatar or Nyquist...

Generally, only rentals are dealt leading up to the deadline, as Holland pointed out. If the Red Wings were to move either Nyquist or Tatar, it wouldn't be for futures (picks, prospects), they'd want in return a player who could help them now. That type of trade is more apt to happen in the off-season or well before the deadline.

In regards to trading Mike Green...

I consider Green a quasi-rental, since he has just one year remaining ($6 million, plus a no-trade clause). But I doubt he'll be moved because he's their only offensive threat on the blue line, someone they'll need next season, too.

In regards to young guns...

The 23-man roster restriction is lifted at the trade deadline, and if they have the cap space, they should get a look at some Griffins, one or two at a time. It would be good to see center Tomas Nosek, wingers Martin Frk and Evgeny Svechnikov and defenseman Robbie Russo for a few games.

I quoted this CRL post from the other thread, figured it has a lot to do with the Deadline as well! Thanks for the info CRL!

23 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Yotes trade Michael Stone to  CGY for a 3rd and conditional 5th

So maybe we can get a 4th for Smith?

Probably a 4th and a 6th ? If stone can get 2 picks surely smith can as well, I do believe top teams will be desperate for d depth and we'll benefit , see smith landing in pittsburgh or winnipeg

this goes out to everyone ... Is there anyone from the 2017  ufa class that we might land for a one year deal that we might turn to a good trade deadline bait like we did with vanek this season? 

13 minutes ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

Probably a 4th and a 6th ? If stone can get 2 picks surely smith can as well, I do believe top teams will be desperate for d depth and we'll benefit , see smith landing in pittsburgh or winnipeg

this goes out to everyone ... Is there anyone from the 2017  ufa class that we might land for a one year deal that we might turn to a good trade deadline bait like we did with vanek this season? 

Chris Pronger and Marc Savard are both 2017 UFAs. Both guys are decent players who've had oddly low numbers the past few seasons. 

Wonder if Green could get us a first rounder too.

Man can you imagine having three 1st round picks this season? And then taking the two low 1st rounders and trading up for 1 high pick... Dammm!  Get it done Kenny.

Oh wait that's me. 

I'M GONNA GET IT DONE. 

Edited by kickazz

37 minutes ago, kickazz said:

Wonder if Green could get us a first rounder too.

Man can you imagine having three 1st round picks this season? And then taking the two low 1st rounders and trading up for 1 high pick... Dammm!  Get it done Kenny.

Oh wait that's me. 

I'M GONNA GET IT DONE. 

Boot that tire right outta the park

On February 16, 2017 at 6:12 PM, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Dater reporting Toronto has entered the mix on teams going hard after Landeskog and Duchene

Toronto looking at Hanzal now as well, but price still too steep.

5 hours ago, kickazz said:

If Stone is worth a 3rd pick then Vanek is for sure worth a 1st round pick. 

No doubt. I don't see a 1st happening though for some reason. He needs to be moved if he'll be looking for a long term deal at at least double what the Wing are paying now, but man I wish he was around for another season.

Too bad Vegas can't take Howard now if they really are interested. Lol

1 minute ago, kliq said:

Good...the more future assets our divisional rivals spend on rentals, the better for us.

Agreed. I'd like a player like him in Detroit, but it's unrealistic at this point. If Toronto wants to break the bank for a rental, cool. I don't see why they would though. It's not as if they're a Hanzal or Duchene away from contender status.

4 minutes ago, chaps80 said:

Agreed. I'd like a player like him in Detroit, but it's unrealistic at this point. If Toronto wants to break the bank for a rental, cool. I don't see why they would though. It's not as if they're a Hanzal or Duchene away from contender status.

Agreed, Toronto's D has too many holes to for a long playoff run. If I am a TO fan, I want them to stand pat. This year is not the year to give up future assets.

On February 16, 2017 at 6:52 PM, LeftWinger said:

A smidgen off subject, but still has to do with acquiring players. From finishing so low, It'll be nice next October to have almost first Crack at players being waived out of their training camps! Not that there are too many great pickups, but sometimes you get a diamond due to numbers...

That is true. I hadn't thought of that. I'm used to the Wings being in the pile of teams that good players that hit waivers never reach.

38 minutes ago, kliq said:

Agreed, Toronto's D has too many holes to for a long playoff run. If I am a TO fan, I want them to stand pat. This year is not the year to give up future assets.

Toronto fans aren't used to success though. They're not known to be patient once they experience some, and may want their team to make those deals now because they're starved for a cup. They're only two seasons into Shanny, Lou, and Babs overhaul and i'm surprised at the progress, but getting Matthews gave it a huge kickstart. They still need a few more seasons of rebuild, be patient, not throw away assets, and they may finally get that cup. In past seasons they made the wrong horrible trades (Rask and a 1st, who turned out to be Seguin for Andrew Raycroft? Hahaha) when they had something good going and it set them back again.

They may make the playoffs this season, but as you said, their D isn't good enough. They're winning some games mostly due to youngsters like Matthews, Marner, Nylander, and a rejuvinated Kadri scoring a lot of goals, and solid goaltending from Andersen. How will those kids hold up to a playoff run? Can Andersen stay solid, or revert to his early season struggles? Not worth the risks.

Here's an interesting couple of questions for you guys. We've talked, to no end, about trading the 1st round pick or keeping it, if it would get us Trouba or not (see the pick or trouba thread.)  My opinion is well known, but I have to admit, I have been warming up to this Liljigren kid a bit, but anyhow, with Arizona looking to be sellers this week, if Trouba was too expensive, or even if he were available, if ARZ was shopping OEL would you trade the 1st rounder for him? What if both were available?

Would you trade the 1st for OEL?

If both teams were interested in our 1st, which would you rather have?

Pitt plays more offensively and tries to win high scoring games.. sounds like a place Smith might strive. 

If he were traded there, I wouldn't be surprised if they re-signed him for next season too.  

Just now, LeftWinger said:

Would you trade the 1st for OEL?

If both teams were interested in our 1st, which would you rather have?

In a heartbeat! and I'd take OEL over Trouba any day.. not that I think Trouba is bad, I'd love to have either. But I'd be extremely shocked if ARI ever traded OEL.... especially for just a first. 

3 minutes ago, amato said:

Pitt plays more offensively and tries to win high scoring games.. sounds like a place Smith might strive. 

If he were traded there, I wouldn't be surprised if they re-signed him for next season too.  

In a heartbeat! and I'd take OEL over Trouba any day.. not that I think Trouba is bad, I'd love to have either. But I'd be extremely shocked if ARI ever traded OEL.... especially for just a first. 

I just meant would anyone want to give up the 1st. I agree it would take more to get OEL, or Trouba for that matter.

1 minute ago, LeftWinger said:

I just meant would anyone want to give up the 1st. I agree it would take more to get OEL, or Trouba for that matter.

Fair enough. I thought you meant straight up :P 

but yeah, I'd be fine with giving up the first in a package for ether.. I'd really like to win the lottery too though :D