• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

LeftWinger

2017 NHLTrade Deadline Discussion

Rate this topic

Simple, do the Wings Buy to try to make the playoffs or SELL to get draft picks and rebuild.  

101 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

39 minutes ago, joesuffP said:

The Wings have invested soooo much time with Smith. I'd rather keep him then get a 5th round pick and watch him play like Shultz for Pittsburgh. But watch people will assume for the next 5 years Wings were offered 1st round picks left and right

This is exactly the type of thinking that got the organization into the situation it's in. He would get more than a 5th, more likely a 3rd. It would be a terrible idea to tie up more significant cap space on a 3rd pairing defenseman during a rebuild. Let alone they have to structure raises to AA, Mantha, Larkin, and Jensen. 

5 minutes ago, kylee said:

no one wanted him for free, what would be different a few months later? 

Injuries, bad performances, etc can cause roster changes.. there's a (probably pretty small) chance that a team that passed on him before would trade "future considerations" for him. That's essentially for free too. 

Slightly off topic: does anyone know of any evidence of "future considerations" paying off down the line? To me it's always seemed like a legal/formal way of giving away a player and not much more..

The Wings have invested soooo much time with Smith. I'd rather keep him then get a 5th round pick and watch him play like Shultz for Pittsburgh. But watch people will assume for the next 5 years Wings were offered 1st round picks left and right

So you'd rather overpay a mediocre player than trade him because he might be better in another system? That's a terrible line of reasoning.

Sent from my LGLS676 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, HadThomasVokounOnFortSt said:

Of course NBC Sports screws up an article about hockey. He says Wings haven't been Sellers in about a quarter of a DECADE. Only 2.5yrs, eh? :lol:

22 minutes ago, DickieDunn said:

So you'd rather overpay a mediocre player than trade him because he might be better in another system? That's a terrible line of reasoning.

Sent from my LGLS676 using Tapatalk

My thinking is Smith is more valuable to us than one of the last picks in the 3rd or 4th round. Holland has been brutal with his contracts but if he signs short term for what he's worth it's a no brainer to me. I think we'd be very lucky to get Pittsburgh's 3rd round pick but if we did I would think long and hard about it. Anything less than that just keep him

Edited by joesuffP

5 minutes ago, joesuffP said:

My thinking is Smith is more valuable to us than one of the last picks in the 3rd or 4th round. Holland has been brutal with his contracts but if he signs short term for what he's worth it's a no brainer to me. I think we'd be very lucky to get Pittsburgh's 3rd round pick but if we did I would think long and hard about it. Anything less than that just keep him

Or let him walk? Why must everyone be kept? Can we just move on from players and try to make the team better and focus on more important things? Like clearing some cap space and unloading bad contracts, drafting good players and making some meaningful trades. 

Smith would be an idiot to want a short term contract.. He's 28. If he signs a 3 year deal he'll be 31. Who would offer him another good contract when he's 31? Nobody. He's better off signing a longer term somewhere else and be guaranteed to play in the NHL till he's 34 or something.

But then again, Smith is a bonehead so I can see him being suckered in for a 2 year deal or something. 

2 years (or even 3) $3 million per would be a win for Holland and a loss for Smith. Absolutely no future job security and easily a waivable contract. 

Edited by kickazz

What contract would you offer Brendan Smith to stay with this team?

This whole "I can't let go of you" mentality is what's put the Red Wings in the position they are today. Bad contracts and not a dollar to spend. What a lot of people don't seem to realize is that Larkin, Mantha, AA will be due for some hefty contracts. Not to mention Tatar will be demanding a lot of money as well. But of course, Brendan Smith gets locked in along with DK and Ericsson so not much money to spend >.> 

SAD!

Edited by kickazz

Wings are in a lose lose position. They're not gonna get any first round picks for anybody. Vanek should be traded for a 2nd cause he will be old and expensive but Smith is young and cheap and fits the criteria of what the Wings are after. Although the more I think about the less likely it is Smith gets a cheap deal from Holland anyways. Smith will sit in FA like Quincey and sign cheaply for 1 year

Lots of folks don't seem to realize that the Red Wings ONLY have $6.1 million in cap space when this season ends and need to re-sign the following players:

Tomas Tatar (priority if we're not trading him)

AA (even bigger priority, he's 100% our future)

Jensen

Oullette

Smith

Jurco

Who do you guys re-sign? You only have $6.1 mill to work with. Best case scenario Vegas takes Howard and we have $11 million and we're ok. But if they take Sheahan then we're up $8 million and that's still not enough for everyone imo. 

Edited by kickazz

I guess my rationale was that if Smith resigned really cheap I'd rather him than a 4th round pick but I guess Smith is going to test FA unless Holland overplays him. But if Smith ends up being like Quincey and nobody wants him I'd take him back in a heartbeat for a cheap short term deal

Wings are in a lose lose position. They're not gonna get any first round picks for anybody. Vanek should be traded for a 2nd cause he will be old and expensive but Smith is young and cheap and fits the criteria of what the Wings are after. Although the more I think about the less likely it is Smith gets a cheap deal from Holland anyways. Smith will sit in FA like Quincey and sign cheaply for 1 year

If someone offers a solid pick you take it and run.

If the asking price for Vanek is too high lower it and get something before he walks for nothing in July.

1 minute ago, kickazz said:

Lots of folks don't seem to realize that the Red Wings ONLY have $6.1 million in cap space when this season ends and need to re-sign the following players:

Jensen

Oullette

Smith

Jurco

Who do you guys re-sign? You only have $6.1 mill to work with. 

Honestly AA is the only on of that group I particularly care about.  Tatar would be nice to hold onto as well but if we're blowing up the team for a complete rebuild I wouldn't be distraught if he were traded.

Just now, Echolalia said:

Honestly AA is the only on of that group I particularly care about.  Tatar would be nice to hold onto as well but if we're blowing up the team for a complete rebuild I wouldn't be distraught if he were traded.

Well assuming Holland doesn't trade him. He'd be an RFA and someone we would most likely re-sign 100% and he'll be asking about Nyquist money (4.5 million or whatever at least)

3 minutes ago, joesuffP said:

I guess my rationale was that if Smith resigned really cheap I'd rather him than a 4th round pick but I guess Smith is going to test FA unless Holland overplays him. But if Smith ends up being like Quincey and nobody wants him I'd take him back in a heartbeat for a cheap short term deal

What contract do you offer Smith TODAY?

Well from what I heard Holland has been in talks with Smith's agent. If Smith's asking price is too high then you trade him for WHATEVER you can get (4th or 5th) instead of losing him for free. Because he'll be gone in the free agency anyways. As a GM you simply can't bank on the fact that "Well hopefully no one re-signs him and maybe we can get him back" 

See what I mean? 

Would you rather sell your used car originally valued at $20,000 for a $1000 or donate it for free? That's the logic here. 

Edited by kickazz

6 minutes ago, kickazz said:

Jensen

Oullette

Smith

Jurco

Who do you guys re-sign? You only have $6.1 mill to work with. Best case scenario Vegas takes Howard and we have $11 million and we're ok. But if they take Sheahan then we're up $8 million and that's still not enough for everyone imo. 

We're screwed.

Holland has mucked up this team so badly, I don't know how you fix it. The only way he can possibly salvage any hope of a brighter future, sooner rather than later, is trading away Smith, Vanek, Green, Tatar/Nyquist and letting the kids play. I almost think trading Mrazek may be necessary. Vegas is not picking up Howard.

12 minutes ago, kickazz said:

Jensen

Oullette

Smith

Jurco

It's all those bad contracts that are still on the books that will be hurting us for years to come 

5 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

What contract do you offer Smith TODAY?

Unless Smith takes 3 years @ $2 Million per, we can't afford to sign him.

Dekeyser is making $5 Million

Ericsson $4.25 Million

Smith would want close to Ericsson money.

17 minutes ago, kickazz said:

Jensen

Oullette

Smith

Jurco

Honestly I go AA and Jensen. Rest get traded. This is so f***ed...