• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

LeftWinger

2017 NHLTrade Deadline Discussion

Rate this topic

Simple, do the Wings Buy to try to make the playoffs or SELL to get draft picks and rebuild.  

101 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 minutes ago, kylee said:

Lots of folks don't seem to realize that the Red Wings ONLY have $6.1 million

Don´t forget to do the simple math, like resigning Tatar for 4M AAV will take actually only 1.250M from this budget.

AA, XO, Jensen will get some 2yrs bridges.

Don´t count with Jurco.

7 minutes ago, kylee said:

It's all those bad contracts that are still on the books that will be hurting us for years to come 

We're stuck with Kronner & Franzen until 2020 and Zetterberg until 2021. What a cluster bleep.

1 minute ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I wouldn't pay Smith 2 million, let alone give him 3 years.

They paid Kindl $2.4 at one point... I'm merely pointing out the absurdity of thinking about resigning him. Holland is a doofus.

Imo by next week we should: 

Trade Vanek for 1st round pick

Trade Tatar (or Nyquist) for something I can't tihnk of because I'm not a GM and don't understand market value more than the average fan. But it's got to be something good.

Trade Smith for 2nd round pick maybe in a package with Jurco.

Now you have enough money to resign AA, Jensen, Oullette, guaranteed with possible some left over with the expansion draft. Save that money for the following year to re-sign Larkin, Mantha and MRAZEK (yep theyre due for contracts in a year guys). If possible somehow get Trouba or: 

Draft high this summer, trade up your pick if possible. 

I think those things need to be on the "to-do" list. Obviously not all can be accomplished but hopefully some of those things can be. (Vanek trade, Smith trade, High pick). 

Or stand pat and cry. 

Edited by kickazz

8 minutes ago, scotzman said:

We're stuck with Kronner & Franzen until 2020 and Zetterberg until 2021. What a cluster bleep.

Franzen is on LTIR so no cap hit. Zberg and Kronwall will likely both end up there or retired before 2020.

5 minutes ago, kickazz said:

Imo by next week we should: 

Trade Vanek for 1st round pick

Trade Tatar (or Nyquist) for something I can't tihnk of because I'm not a GM and don't understand market value more than the average fan. But it's got to be something good.

Trade Smith for 2nd round pick maybe in a package with Jurco.

Now you have enough money to resign AA, Jensen, Oullette, guaranteed with possible some left over with the expansion draft. Save that money for the following year to re-sign Larkin, Mantha and MRAZEK (yep theyre due for contracts in a year guys) 

Draft high this summer, trade up your pick if possible. 

We know Ken.

38 minutes ago, kickazz said:

Lots of folks don't seem to realize that the Red Wings ONLY have $6.1 million in cap space when this season ends and need to re-sign the following players:

Tomas Tatar (priority if we're not trading him), AA (even bigger priority, he's 100% our future), Jensen, Oullette, Smith, Jurco

Who do you guys re-sign? You only have $6.1 mill to work with. Best case scenario Vegas takes Howard and we have $11 million and we're ok. But if they take Sheahan then we're up $8 million and that's still not enough for everyone imo. 

The cap will almost definitely go up. Latest projection was at the board of governors meeting. They said a 3 million increase.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/nhl-salary-cap-projection-down-from-board-of-governors-meeting-175338945.html

So that would leave the available cap space as 9.1 mill.

Then there will be someone claimed Vegas, so that gives extra cap space. Could someone like Jensen which won't give much cap space (but will be one less to re-sign), but who knows if it's someone like Howard with his hefty caphit.

I really don't think we'll re-sign Smith. I don't think it's a bad thing to ask how much it would take to re-sign him. If anything, It does seem like good negotiating to make a buyer think you're not in a rush to sell and they'll have to persuade you to let a player go.

Edited by PavelValerievichDatsyuk

5 minutes ago, PavelValerievichDatsyuk said:

The cap will almost definitely go up. Latest projection was at the board of governors meeting. They said a 3 million increase.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/nhl-salary-cap-projection-down-from-board-of-governors-meeting-175338945.html

Then there will be someone claimed Vegas, so that gives extra cap space. Could someone like Jensen which won't give much cap space (but will be one less to re-sign), but who knows if it's someone like Howard with his hefty caphit.

I really don't think we'll re-sign Smith. I don't think it's a bad thing to ask how much it would take to re-sign him. 

My numbers assumed the cap at $73 million. So if it goes up to $74 million then that's $7.1 to work with instead of the base $6.1. 

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/redwings

4 minutes ago, PavelValerievichDatsyuk said:

I really don't think we'll re-sign Smith. I don't think it's a bad thing to ask how much it would take to re-sign him. 

Agreed. You always explore all options. Which is why I don't understand the hysteria about Holland inquiring about what it would take to re-sign him. Of course he's inquiring. That's good business. That being said, there's a very slim chance he's actually re-signed.

2 minutes ago, kickazz said:

My numbers assumed the cap at $73 million. So if it goes up to $74 million then that's $7.1 to work with instead of the base $6.1. 

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/redwings

The article says "The current salary cap is at $71.4 million." and would go up 3 mill to 74. Wonder why Capfriendly has a different number. 

27 minutes ago, scotzman said:

They paid Kindl $2.4 at one point... I'm merely pointing out the absurdity of thinking about resigning him. Holland is a doofus.

Actually the bold is a good one technically. Cap hit is $6 million and he's putting up as much or more points than players who have cap hit of $8-10 million a year (Getzlaf, Kesler, Voracek etc). Some of these NHL players are over paid as hell, I personally think Z's deal is cheap for the production he gives us. 

2 minutes ago, PavelValerievichDatsyuk said:

The article says "The current salary cap is at $71.4 million." and would go up 3 mill to 74. Wonder why Capfriendly has a different number. 

Yes cap friendly updated theirs to $73 million that's what I used. Next year we have $67 million on the books and cap friendly have $73 million as the cap ceiling. But if your article says its going to be $74 then that's about $7 million left over instead of the $6 million I said. 

Edited by kickazz

3 minutes ago, kickazz said:

Actually the bold is a good one technically. Cap hit is $6 million and he's putting up as more or more points than players who have cap hit of $8-10 million a year (Getzlaf, Kesler etc). 

Yes cap friendly updated theirs to $73 million that's what I used. 

But that's their number for the current year's cap. a 3 million increase for next year would push it to 76.

Edited by PavelValerievichDatsyuk

Just now, PavelValerievichDatsyuk said:

Umm, but this their number for the current year's cap. a 3 million increase for next year would push it to 76.

Your article says " “Our practice with Players' Association really has been over the last couple years to try to sit down and talk about a reasonable projection for revenue growth and build in that inflator,” Daly said. “So that's what I'd say, it's somewhere probably between the current cap and $74 million.” 

1 minute ago, joesuffP said:

I wouldn't budge over 3M for 3 years

You do realize Quincey is on a 1 year 1.25 mil deal with New Jersey? And Q is arguably better than Smith.

3 for 3 is gross overpayment

I found this:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nhl-stagnant-salary-cap-drama-expected-in-2017-18-142359315.html

The NHL apparently anticipates the cap to remain flat next season, with little if any increase projected over this year’s $73 million ceiling.

Was going to say this. Everything I've heard has said the cap is remaining the same.

I found this:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nhl-stagnant-salary-cap-drama-expected-in-2017-18-142359315.html

The NHL apparently anticipates the cap to remain flat next season, with little if any increase projected over this year’s $73 million ceiling.

Yeah found this:

http://www.secondcityhockey.com/2016/12/9/13902342/nhl-salary-cap-2017-18-increase-73-million-stay-flat-blackhawks

Bettman actually says between zero and 2 million. Would be rough for us it stayed flat.

Apologies for wasting time discussing an old link - I guess I misread the date.

I still don't think it'll be as tight as fitting your list of players in with 6.1 mill after a few possible moves: Smith, Tatar trade? Vegas drafts _____? Trade Franzen's contract, Kronwall to LTIR? 

My thinking is Smith is more valuable to us than one of the last picks in the 3rd or 4th round. Holland has been brutal with his contracts but if he signs short term for what he's worth it's a no brainer to me. I think we'd be very lucky to get Pittsburgh's 3rd round pick but if we did I would think long and hard about it. Anything less than that just keep him

Smith isn't very valuable though unless you look at his advanced stats and ignore everything else. A 3rd or 4th rounder can turn into a better player or be packaged as part of a deal.

Sent from my LGLS676 using Tapatalk

I would offer Smith 4 years at 3.5 mil each.  That seems fair for a #4D in his prime.

“I only know Red Wings hockey, and I like it,” Smith said after Tuesday's morning skate. “That’s all I can say. I’ve loved every moment here, good and bad. They have made me a better player. I would like to continue to stay on the Wing path, but there is a business, and you never know what happens.”

Overpayment. He's a 3rd pair guy on a good team.

Sent from my LGLS676 using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

I would offer Smith 4 years at 3.5 mil each.  That seems fair for a #4D in his prime.

“I only know Red Wings bad hockey, and I like it,” Smith said after Tuesday's morning skate. “That’s all I can say. I’ve loved every moment here, good and bad. They have made me a better player. I would like to continue to stay on the Wing path, but there this is a business, and you never know what happens.”

3 minutes ago, kylee said:

Don't forget we're still paying Stephen Weiss 

His cap hit jumps from 1 million to 2.5 next season as well lol

Anyone else depressed when looking out to the 2020/2021 season and realizing that between Zetterberg, Nielsen, Helm, Abdelkader and Weiss we have over $20MM tied up in salary for players, that will either not be in the NHL or at best be third/fourth line players at best.