• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

LeftWinger

2017 NHLTrade Deadline Discussion

Rate this topic

Simple, do the Wings Buy to try to make the playoffs or SELL to get draft picks and rebuild.  

101 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, The Datsyukian Deke said:

Friend of mine said, selling all out at this point doesn't make sense, at least not for this years picks, because next years draft might be a lot better than this year...

With the way our players take a step or two back each season. We may as well sell now while they have any value. A year ago Jurco was worth something, today good chance he clears the wire if he already hasn't.  : /

2 hours ago, PavelValerievichDatsyuk said:

Yeah found this:

http://www.secondcityhockey.com/2016/12/9/13902342/nhl-salary-cap-2017-18-increase-73-million-stay-flat-blackhawks

Bettman actually says between zero and 2 million. Would be rough for us it stayed flat.

Apologies for wasting time discussing an old link - I guess I misread the date.

I still don't think it'll be as tight as fitting your list of players in with 6.1 mill after a few possible moves: Smith, Tatar trade? Vegas drafts _____? Trade Franzen's contract, Kronwall to LTIR? 

trading Smith and Tatar now does nothing to help the cap next season. Besides keep them off of it. Their salaries are not on next years cap, so we still only have $6.1Mish even if they're traded. Bottom line is, if Holland wants to re-sign Tatar, he must dump Nyquist, if he want to re-sign Smith, he must dump Ericsson somehow and LTIR Kronwall.  If not, there is no reason to even think he will acquire a #1 defender.

Holland f***ed this team up....anyone else still think Helm was a great deal? I said it when it happened, not that he was not worth it on the market, but to this team, the cap space and roster spot was worth more...Same with Glenny. Holland is going to f*** this team more and we are going to end up losing players off our NHL roster to inferior ones.  IMO, XO and Jensen are higher priorities than Smth....but all three should be here over Ericsson.

18 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

trading Smith and Tatar now does nothing to help the cap next season. Besides keep them off of it. Their salaries are not on next years cap, so we still only have $6.1Mish even if they're traded. Bottom line is, if Holland wants to re-sign Tatar, he must dump Nyquist, if he want to re-sign Smith, he must dump Ericsson somehow and LTIR Kronwall.  If not, there is no reason to even think he will acquire a #1 defender.

Holland f***ed this team up....anyone else still think Helm was a great deal? I said it when it happened, not that he was not worth it on the market, but to this team, the cap space and roster spot was worth more...Same with Glenny. Holland is going to f*** this team more and we are going to end up losing players off our NHL roster to inferior ones.  IMO, XO and Jensen are higher priorities than Smth....but all three should be here over Ericsson.

This ^^

I hope the comments that Holland is trying to renegotiate Smiths contract is just an attempt to raise the price tag. If not, this season is going to be the norm going forward. Signing middle of the road NHL players to long contracts is not a great strategy in regards to a rebuild. What's scary is I don't think the organization believes a rebuild is needed.

Edited by BringBack19

Anyone else depressed when looking out to the 2020/2021 season and realizing that between Zetterberg, Nielsen, Helm, Abdelkader and Weiss we have over $20MM tied up in salary for players, that will either not be in the NHL or at best be third/fourth line players at best.

I said that when the last three were signed and was told I'm a hater.

Sent from my LGLS676 using Tapatalk

24 minutes ago, BringBack19 said:

I hope the comments that Holland is trying to renegotiate Smiths contract is just an attempt to raise the price tag. If not, this season is going to be the norm going forward. Signing middle of the road NHL players to long contracts is not a great strategy in regards to a rebuild. What's scary is I don't think the organization believes a rebuild is needed.

Being that it has taken until last night for most people/organization to believe it time for a rebuild, is the scary part. 

I have zero issue with Holland talking with Smith's agent. In business you explore all options.

Now if Holland signs Smith without dumping any contracts, then I would have an issue.

I dont hate Smith like so many others around here. I'm not saying he is some amazing player, but like I said previously, if we could dump/LTIR Kronwall, E, Nielsen, and Howard I would be open to bringing Smith back on a reasonable contract. With that being said, I would still trade him at the deadline, I would just re-sign him July 1st after the expansion draft.

9 minutes ago, DickieDunn said:

I said that when the last three were signed and was told I'm a hater.

No you were told you were a hater when you said you "hated" Blashill, then proceeded to call him Trashill, Blashcock, piece of garbage, complete moron etc on a daily sometimes hourly basis.

5 minutes ago, kliq said:

I have zero issue with Holland talking with Smith's agent. In business you explore all options.

Now if Holland signs Smith without dumping any contracts, then I would have an issue.

I dont hate Smith like so many others around here. I'm not saying he is some amazing player, but like I said previously, if we could dump/LTIR Kronwall, E, Nielsen, and Howard I would be open to bringing Smith back on a reasonable contract. With that being said, I would still trade him at the deadline, I would just re-sign him July 1st after the expansion draft.

Not trying to be snarky, but no one wants Ericsson or Howard.

Trading Nielsen would have to be something Nielsen was interested in or you're killing future FA Signings.

Ultimately, Kronwall would need to be okay with LTIR too because he's been here his entire career and been a valuable piece.

Part of the draw of the Wings organization has been their loyalty to their players. I think they can still be competitive, loyal and smart at the same time.

Lately, Holland hasn't been smart.

33 minutes ago, kliq said:

No you were told you were a hater when you said you "hated" Blashill, then proceeded to call him Trashill, Blashcock, piece of garbage, complete moron etc on a daily sometimes hourly basis.

The guy was right though...  so he wasn't a hater, he was ahead of the curve.  By the away being critical doesn't make someone a hater.

25 minutes ago, scotzman said:

Not trying to be snarky, but no one wants Ericsson or Howard.

Trading Nielsen would have to be something Nielsen was interested in or you're killing future FA Signings.

Ultimately, Kronwall would need to be okay with LTIR too because he's been here his entire career and been a valuable piece.

Part of the draw of the Wings organization has been their loyalty to their players. I think they can still be competitive, loyal and smart at the same time.

Lately, Holland hasn't been smart.

I dont agree with you about Howard, I think people around here really undervalue him. 2 years, 10.6 million is not a huge commitment for a guy who can be an upper tier goaltender when healthy. It just wont happen until Bishop/Fleury are sorted out

Agree with you about Nielsen and E, and I agree with you about Kronwall/LTIR.

I am not saying these things will happen, what I was saying is what would need to happen for me to be ok with us -re-signing Smith. If these things dont happen, I dont re-sign Smith.

Bottom line is that there's no room to re-sign Smith if we're re-signing Tatar, AA, etc and for those that want him back, consider the crunch this team is likely to be in. This is why I was not a fan of the Helm contract. Yes a lot of you like him and yes he's a decent player but the sum of that parts of all our contracts are adding up to be a potential disaster. 

I get it, you want a certain player here because you like him; but think broadly. This teams future is f***ed with the contracts we keep adding on and on and on. 

This isn't really about Smith or Ericsson or Helm or whoever, it's about contract A, contract, B, contract, C. Objectively speaking. Don't look at it player by player, look at it as a whole. We're one of the worst teams in terms of cap space and contracts overall.

Edited by kickazz

9 minutes ago, HockeytownRules19 said:

4. Heard through the gossip line that a few teams had reached out to Detroit about Andreas Athanasiou when there were some battles over his ice time. Red Wings GM Ken Holland wouldn’t comment, but another team indicated he told them not to even bother asking unless “a 22-year-old top-pair defenceman” was part of the conversation. The Wings have told clubs they are “open for business,” but won’t consider moving any of their young offensive cornerstones unless that kind of player is potentially available.

That is the spirit Kenny ! AA for Trouba ? I'd be in. Sounds encouraging overall.

2 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

I said I don't think it will be as tight as fitting kick's list of players into 6.1 mill. Taking 2 players off that list of players to re-sign absolutely helps the cap crunch. I didn't say that getting rid of them would create cap space.

1 hour ago, mackel said:

The guy was right though...  so he wasn't a hater, he was ahead of the curve.  By the away being critical doesn't make someone a hater.

Who said being critical makes someone a "hater"? I didn't. Being a "hater" to me would be saying you hate someone and making over the top derogatory statements about them which is what I was referring to. Doing this is fine, it is a discussion board. I really don't care personally, but lets call a spade a spade. Right or wrong is redundant.

If a person says "Player X is not a good player and I am not a fan of them. I hope GM X trades them" I dont think anyone calls them a "hater".

If a person says "Player X is a piece of s***! Screw him, I hope someone punches him in the face! pretty sure people call them a "hater".

See the difference?

Just for the record, I think the term "hater" is a stupid term.

47 minutes ago, DickieDunn said:

Am I wrong?

Redundant. I don't think I have never challenged you about the basis of what you say about Blashill, my point is that you can't be surprised if others label you a "hater".

Edited by kliq

2 hours ago, kliq said:

Who said being critical makes someone a "hater"? I didn't. Being a "hater" to me would be saying you hate someone and making over the top derogatory statements about them which is what I was referring to. Doing this is fine, it is a discussion board. I really don't care personally, but lets call a spade a spade. Right or wrong is redundant.

If a person says "Player X is not a good player and I am not a fan of them. I hope GM X trades them" I dont think anyone calls them a "hater".

If a person says "Player X is a piece of s***! Screw him, I hope someone punches him in the face! pretty sure people call them a "hater".

See the difference?

Just for the record, I think the term "hater" is a stupid term.

Redundant. I don't think I have never challenged you about the basis of what you say about Blashill, my point is that you can't be surprised if others label you a "hater".

I don't post a lot here, but I've been on the board for years and years...  reading topics.  The term hater is an over used tripe.  I'm not saying by you, but by posters in general.  Typically people who saw the decline of this team coming over the last number of years were labeled as irrational, not "real" fans, haters, etc.

I think that's in part why so many people seem to have disappeared from this board, they were tired of being criticized for seeing a team in decline, instead of unicorns and lollypops.

So I'm right, but because I'm vocal about my dislike of his performance, I'm fair game to be labeled a hater.
Gotcha

1 hour ago, mackel said:

I don't post a lot here, but I've been on the board for years and years...  reading topics.  The term hater is an over used tripe.  I'm not saying by you, but by posters in general.  Typically people who saw the decline of this team coming over the last number of years were labeled as irrational, not "real" fans, haters, etc.

I think that's in part why so many people seem to have disappeared from this board, they were tired of being criticized for seeing a team in decline, instead of unicorns and lollypops.

Now youre a hater too

14 minutes ago, DickieDunn said:

So I'm right, but because I'm vocal about my dislike of his performance, I'm fair game to be labeled a hater.
Gotcha

Nah it's cause the language you use to critique him is completely over the top dude lol