• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

LeftWinger

2017 NHLTrade Deadline Discussion

Rate this topic

Simple, do the Wings Buy to try to make the playoffs or SELL to get draft picks and rebuild.  

101 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

16 minutes ago, DickieDunn said:

Waiting is the same as no most likely. While he talks to Smith's agent those teams are calling someone else.

Sent from my LGLS676 using Tapatalk

Yep. Holland will keep putting other GMs off, they will get another Dman, Smith's value will drop. Then Holland will resign him and say it's because trade offers were simply too low. What he won't say is that he turned down a 2nd or 3rd rounder a few times while talking to Smith's agent and then when he finally decided to ship him out, he was only getting 5th rounders as offers because he took too long because he's Ken Holland and thinks the NHL waits around for him to stop picking his ass. Just get a trade done ffs!

+10 style points for you sir
Had I been smart and gone the extra mile to dress my post up a bit I would surely be receiving the attention I crave. But I did not.
If I had a sword, this would be the moment I surrender it to you.

Is this your first time watching Holland work?

4 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

On the flipside to the Pens wanting to keep Fleury, multiple reports that Yzerman will in fact move Bishop. Apparently Bishop has a list of 8 teams he will block a trade to.

Yeah I read they were thinking of keeping both goalies for the upcoming playoff run. That's a ballsy move with the expansion draft coming. If they don't move Fleury before the deadline, he will automatically be the goalie the Pens have to protect with his NMC, like it or not. That leaves Murray, their future franchise goalie and a big reason they won the cup last spring, unprotected and 99% surely to be snagged by Vegas. 

Not a move i'd make, but if they really think they have a shot at a repeat, sometimes you gotta take a risk. And anything that screws the Pens i'm happy with. No cup and no Murray would sure be a good laugh.

9 minutes ago, DickieDunn said:

Is this your first time watching Holland work?

Nobody here has watched Holland as a seller before. This is literally the first time he has ever been in this position since he took over as GM in 1998.

Given Holland's lack of propensity to make trades, I highly doubt he'll be doing anything exciting here.  Vanek getting moved would be miracle enough.

Edit: I'm definitely exaggerating slightly but really hoping at least Smith and Vanek get moved.

Edited by greenrebellion

36 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Trade Vanek for a 1st, Smith for a 3rd and turn those two picks plus a player (Nyquist) to St. Louis for Shattenkirk.

Keep our 1st, draft future star... How is it not done yet? :lol::P

That would be ideal, but sounds too easy.  Would St. Louis even want Nyquist or would they ask for a Larkin, Mantha, AA, etc?

59 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Trade Vanek for a 1st, Smith for a 3rd and turn those two picks plus a player (Nyquist) to St. Louis for Shattenkirk.

Keep our 1st, draft future star... How is it not done yet? :lol::P

Why would we give all that up for a pending UFA? Shattenkirk will in all likelihood test free agency. Why not make the two trades you suggested, keep the picks and go after Shattenkirk this summer?

25 minutes ago, Wings_Toledo said:

That would be ideal, but sounds too easy.  Would St. Louis even want Nyquist or would they ask for a Larkin, Mantha, AA, etc?

If we gave up any assets, let alone any of Larkin, Mantha or Athanasiou for a month of Shattenkirk this place would implode... That's the sort of trade a Cup contender makes, not a team in contention for the number one pick... 

1 minute ago, krsmith17 said:

Why would we give all that up for a pending UFA? Shattenkirk will in all likelihood test free agency. Why not make the two trades you suggested, keep the picks and go after Shattenkirk this summer?

If we gave up any assets, let alone any of Larkin, Mantha or Athanasiou for a month of Shattenkirk this place would implode... That's the sort of trade a Cup contender makes, not a team in contention for the number one pick... 

I was going with the narrative that he signs an extension post haste! Sorry, I should've included that. I don't want him for a rental, it doesn't help us at all.

Don't know who'd they want, but if they're getting a 1st and a 3rd they are no way getting AA, Mantha or Larkin. Not sure if they'd want Nyquist, but he adds value to the trade...

24 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

I was going with the narrative that he signs an extension post haste! Sorry, I should've included that. I don't want him for a rental, it doesn't help us at all.

Don't know who'd they want, but if they're getting a 1st and a 3rd they are no way getting AA, Mantha or Larkin. Not sure if they'd want Nyquist, but he adds value to the trade...

The problem with that is, it would have to be a sign and trade, and those rarely happen. Unless he is under contract beyond this season, I want no part of a trade involving Shattenkirk, and even then, I wouldn't give up too much...

Yeah shattenkirk seems very much in it for the free agency big money (can't blame him). I think he's going to test free agency no matter what and St. Louis is going to be stuck losing him for nothing if they don't lower their asking price. 

If he were open to signing here, what's the most you'd offer him? 

Edit for clarification: if he were open to signing here this off season, not after a trade. 

Edited by amato

1 minute ago, amato said:

Yeah shattenkirk seems very much in it for the free agency big money (can't blame him). I think he's going to test free agency no matter what and St. Louis is going to be stuck losing him for nothing if they don't lower their asking price. 

If he was open to sign here, what's the most you'd offer him? 

2 picks and a player....not our picks. If we got a 1st for Vanek and a 3rd for Smith, those 2 picks and nobody more important to us than Nyquist...AA, Mantha, Larkin out of the question.

1 minute ago, LeftWinger said:

2 picks and a player....not our picks. If we got a 1st for Vanek and a 3rd for Smith, those 2 picks and nobody more important to us than Nyquist...AA, Mantha, Larkin out of the question.

See my edit.. I realized it was a little unclear. I'm talking about as a potential free agent signing 

sorry for the confusion 

5 minutes ago, amato said:

If he were open to signing here, what's the most you'd offer him? 

Edit for clarification: if he were open to signing here this off season, not after a trade. 

I personally wouldn't offer him anything more than what Green is currently making, maybe tack on a couple extra years... $30M over 5 years...

Just now, krsmith17 said:

I personally wouldn't offer him anything more than what Green is currently making, maybe tack on a couple extra years... $30M over 5 years...

I agree but I don't see why he wouldn't sign a maximum term contract.. 6x7 years was already turned down (maybe because he doesn't want to be in Tampa, who knows), so it might take 7 or 8x7 years. 

I think thats too much but wouldn't be surprised if someone offered it to him. I might be ok with 7x7 but I wouldn't feel amazed by it. 

1 minute ago, amato said:

I agree but I don't see why he wouldn't sign a maximum term contract.. 6x7 years was already turned down (maybe because he doesn't want to be in Tampa, who knows), so it might take 7 or 8x7 years. 

I think thats too much but wouldn't be surprised if someone offered it to him. I might be ok with 7x7 but I wouldn't feel amazed by it. 

Nah, I wouldn't do it unless we can offload both Ericsson and Howard. Otherwise, I'd let another team overpay for him...

2 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Nah, I wouldn't do it unless we can offload both Ericsson and Howard. Otherwise, I'd let another team overpay for him...

Yeah it would definitely take a little more cap management. 

I am a pretty big fan of more offensive defensemen though, so maybe i over value him a little bit.. but I think he'd be worth it. He's a very good player. 

2 minutes ago, hardcoretom21 said:

Do you think Vanek will be gone by the deadline?

Yes. I think he'll be gone then re-signed in free agency; hopefully to not too long of a contract.. 2, maybe 3 years at a decent cap hit. 

Darren Dreger  reporting the Rangers maybe zeroing in on Smith................

per Darren Dreger, via Chris Nichols

Quote:
“There is still a terrific amount of interest in Shattenkirk as a rental,” he noted. “The Toronto Maple Leafs are a strong suitor for Shattenkirk. I don’t know what the asking price is, but it’s too high for the Maple Leafs. It’s too high for the New York Rangers, who have dabbled a little bit there. It seems like they’re maybe zeroing in on Brendan Smith of the Detroit Red Wings.