• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

LeftWinger

2017 NHLTrade Deadline Discussion

Rate this topic

Simple, do the Wings Buy to try to make the playoffs or SELL to get draft picks and rebuild.  

101 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5 minutes ago, PavelValerievichDatsyuk said:

Jurco had 15pts in 36 games his first year (on pace for 34 pts). In his 2nd year he had 18 pts. in 63 games (on pace for 23-24 pts). On a good offensive team like the Hawks 30 isn't an unreasonable guess.

Not at all...too bad he was playing behind players like Abby, Helm and Glendening when it came to lines. I never understood how lifetime bottom 6 players like those every got playing time over jurco...oh well, moot now. 

2 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Not at all...too bad he was playing behind players like Abby, Helm and Glendening when it came to lines. I never understood how lifetime bottom 6 players like those every got playing time over jurco...oh well, moot now. 

We have a bad habit of that under the Kenny Holland administration. Surprised Dan Cleary isn't on the team again. I feel like they've done that to Smith is so ways. 

6 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

When faced with adversity Jurco demanded a trade. He's the type of special snowflake I don't want around.

And class act Holland sent him to his favorite team. Goodbye and goodluck Jurco, I'll take the 3rd.

Does it say "demanded"? Either way, I thought the kid showed glimpses of being a pretty good forward, but he lost his confidence somewhere along the way. He's extremely talented, but for some reason he didn't seize his opportunity.

6 minutes ago, scotzman said:

Does it say "demanded"? Either way, I thought the kid showed glimpses of being a pretty good forward, but he lost his confidence somewhere along the way. He's extremely talented, but for some reason he didn't seize his opportunity.

Demanded/asked idk which he did. Either way it's not good.

Extremely talented in youtube videos. Not so much on the ice.

The Jurco trade has me really excited about the days leading up to the deadline. It was known Jurco wanted out and we weren't going to re-sign him in the offseason and we still got a 3rd. We might be able to get a 1st or 2nd and a really good prospect for Vanek now. Not bad for a guy we took a chance on in th off-season. I could also see Smith getting us a 3rd as teams get desperate closer to March 1st. We will have a lot of picks to move around in the draft this year if someone is sitting around and high on their draft board. Never thought a rebuild would be exciting. 

What opportunity? You could count the times, where he was used the way he should be (2nd or 3rd line) for 5 or more games in a row, on one hand...

You want talent to develop? Put it in the right situation, enable it to grow, have a little patience with it. Jurco was mostly on the 4th line trying to do checking with guys like Luke and Drew....lol...

Edited by The Datsyukian Deke

1 hour ago, frankgrimes said:

3 round pick for a press box guy nice deal.

Next up Vanek, Green, Goose/Tatar and Smith

I don't see Green, Goose or Tatar going anywhere this season.

It does appear we selling for the first time, but the Wings have done nothing to indicate that they are tearing it apart, personally I see them selling off UFA's, players that dont want to be here, and maybe a few bad contracts. If we get a top 5 pick, and land a D-man, I see them trying to jump right back in the playoff race next year.

regarding Shattenkirk:

However, the price remains high - estimated at a first-round pick, a strong prospect, and another element - and the Rangers may not be able to fit Shattenkirk under the cap.  - MCKENZIE

Trade Vanek for the 1st, trade that plus Nyquist and Svech for Shatty....as long as we can come to a contract extension agreement.

12 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

regarding Shattenkirk:

Trade Vanek for the 1st, trade that plus Nyquist and Svech for Shatty....as long as we can come to a contract extension agreement.

There's no guarantee Shattenkirk would sign with us after the trade though, and then we lose a lot of quality assets for what? A month of Shattenkirk? No thanks. And really, why would this years top free agent want to sign with a rebuilding team? I think regardless where he is traded at the deadline he will test free agency this summer, which is exactly why teams are so reluctant to pay such a high price for a rental.

Won't happen,  but hypothetically out of curiousity we call up teams and let it be known zetterberg  can be had , what do we get ?

id like to think teams would pay a big price to land him, older but having a good year , experienced cup winne, great 2 way center ... What do we fetch ? A first and a top prospect plus 2 other pieces ? 

we eat salary/take contract back and get a first from the ducks ,Jacob Larson and Brandon montour? 

Gotta think getzlaf  zetterberg kesler as the 3 centers significantly boosts the ducks chances at getting to the finals and possibly winning 

again , this is just for fun.... THat being said Ken holland really has to call and push the ducks,flyers,hurricanes into trading some young dmen since they are all stacked with some good ones 

Jurco for a 3rd blows my mind so now thinking Smith could fetch at least a 3rd but I guess his RFA status comes into play. Hawks must be really high on Jurco but it shows Holland valued him as well just coaching and his attitude forced his hand. It shows coaching and Holland don't see eye to eye. The organization saw something in jurco and Holland refused to give up on him until he absolutely had to and got a good return on a guy who couldn't crack the lineup (coaching errors)

Im thinking when a new coach comes in from outside the organization and plays the right guys he's gonna blow Wings fans away

I don't understand all this Jurco misuse talk. What about earning a spot on the top lines? He was playing with lesser talent yes, but also playing against lines with lesser talent. He showed a flash here or there but never ever truly impressed.

54 minutes ago, Datsyukian-Deke said:

Bovada has Montreal as the team with the  best odds for landing Vanek. https://www.google.com/amp/amp.mlive.com/v1/articles/20207741/odds_of_red_wings_thomas_vanek.amp

That seems weird to me. Vanek also had his stint with Montreal and reports were that the Habs didn't make a huge attempt to re-sign him after that 2014 playoff run. They already gave up a 2nd and a prospect for him that year - It would be kind of funny if they gave up a similar price just to bring him back again.

Edited by PavelValerievichDatsyuk

1 hour ago, kickazz said:

Even if Jurco scored one goal with the Hawks I bet people going to flip out and be all like "SEE HE WAS MISUSED"

Well duh. I mean that's LGW for ya.

Forewarning, I'm playing devils advocate here ...but, if you're putting a guy who's supposed to be a second line scorer on the fourth line (with say... Glenny and "Mah Boy" Drew) aren't you misusing him?  

Oh. Right. Earning a spot. ...and how well did Mantha do playing minutes with Disney and Drew? ...and how well is he playing with top six talent? Like Dickie said, put Janmark or Jarnkrok in that same role and how well would they have faired? 

28 minutes ago, e_prime said:

Forewarning, I'm playing devils advocate here ...but, if you're putting a guy who's supposed to be a second line scorer on the fourth line (with say... Glenny and "Mah Boy" Drew) aren't you misusing him?  

Oh. Right. Earning a spot. ...and how well did Mantha do playing minutes with Disney and Drew? ...and how well is he playing with top six talent? Like Dickie said, put Janmark or Jarnkrok in that same role and how well would they have faired? 

Even so watching Jurco play still didn't make me feel like he was anything more than a 3rd liner. His hockey IQ just wasn't there compared to Mantha, AA, etc.  If it was 2003 or something I'd say we can invest some time in him and help him. But we're at the point where we need players who can help themselves and help the team. Mantha and Larkin both clicked right away in their first few NHL games. We need more of that. That's why I'm also very pro "lets get a high 1st round pick" this year because whoever the first round pick is; say Viliardi or Patrick- that player will likely be NHL ready and be a great player from the get-go. Won't be Connor McDavid level but even something half that level would be nice. 

Edited by kickazz

I'm just saying that not every player is the same and not every player "earns their spot" the same way. We could have learned that he wasn't NHL material several years ago if they went a different route. If there's one thing that I hope the Wings management is learning is that "over-ripening" in the A just doesn't work anymore.

...sorry I'll drag my Jurco talk back to the Jurco thread. Good on KH for getting a third for him. 

Also, "No" to Shatty!

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/phi170225.html

Flyers defensemen Mark Streit, Michael Del Zotto, and Nick Schultz, and goalies Steve Mason and Michal Neuvirth are all set to become UFAs July 1 and are all up for grabs.

...seems like there will be plenty of goalies available this week. Is Vegas allowed to participate in the deadline deals? Maybe they'll acquire their goalie that way...