• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

LeftWinger

2017 NHLTrade Deadline Discussion

Rate this topic

Simple, do the Wings Buy to try to make the playoffs or SELL to get draft picks and rebuild.  

101 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

47 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Nope... The fact that Vanek is playing tomorrow night scares the s*** out of me...

I know eh?

I just have this feeling that Holland might think the offers for Smith and Vanek are "not good enough" and then we will end up losing these guys in the summer for nothing.

God I hope I am wrong...

52 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Nope... The fact that Vanek is playing tomorrow night scares the s*** out of me...

Posturing to try to increase the value of assets by making it appear as if they are unwilling to part with that. I doubt it does much.

1 hour ago, robb himself said:

Am I the only one who has a horrible feeling that we don't trade anyone and miss out on these high prices?

I feel Holland will hold out for too high a price, and teams will just pursue other players. Vanek, Smith, and Ott should have had played their last game as a Wing at this point. Playing them tomorrow would be idiotic. 

7 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I get the worry, but most of the trades end up going down on the Deadline Day, March 1st. We still have 2+ days till then.

Although the league has been active earlier this year it seems like.

That wasn't the case at all last year. 

As for the worry, it stems from the organization being idiots and willing to play a player in tomorrow's game that, going by current market value in trades, can easily fetch a first round pick. If Vanek gets hurt tomorrow, he has zero trade value. 

18 minutes ago, marcaractac said:

As for the worry, it stems from the organization being idiots and willing to play a player in tomorrow's game that, going by current market value in trades, can easily fetch a first round pick. If Vanek gets hurt tomorrow, he has zero trade value. 

Last year was indeed an odd year. Which day had more trades than deadline day?

33 minutes ago, marcaractac said:

I checked, and it was in fact the case.

16 trades on deadline day. In the 6 days leading up to deadline day there was 16 trades combined for all 6 days.

So yes, even last year, the majority of trades go down on deadline day. This year will most likely be no different from that common norm.

Lawton reporting that the Pens and Caps are in a bidding war for Shattenkirk at the moment

1 minute ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I checked, and it was in fact the case.

16 trades on deadline day. In the 6 days leading up to deadline day there was 16 trades combined for all 6 days.

So yes, even last year, the majority of trades go down on deadline day. This year will most likely be no different from that common norm.

But all the big names were gone before deadline day. Deadline day itself was nothing but scrubs and ahl players being moved. 

GM's aren't waiting for deadline day anymore. If a player is available, they are going for it. That's why the prices are higher. GM's overpay to get the players they want early. Which is why Holland needs to act now, and not march 1st.

Vanek and Smith shouldn't even be red wings by the time we wake up tomorrow. 

2 minutes ago, marcaractac said:

But all the big names were gone before deadline day. Deadline day itself was nothing but scrubs and ahl players being moved. 

GM's aren't waiting for deadline day anymore. If a player is available, they are going for it. That's why the prices are higher. GM's overpay to get the players they want early. Which is why Holland needs to act now, and not march 1st.

Vanek and Smith shouldn't even be red wings by the time we wake up tomorrow. 

Ok, now you've changed the argument. All I said was the vast majority of trades go down on deadline day. Am I wrong? Last year Russell, Boedker, Tanguay, Maroon, Mcginn, and Liles were all moved on deadline day. Those aren't superstars, but they also aren't scrubs.

One of the biggest trades was Eric Staal and that went down the day before the deadline (tomorrow).

The only big trade that came early was the Ladd trade.

But by all means freak out. 

Smith was a no brainer move, can't believe they are trying to extend him...to what end?  By the time this team is competitive again, Smith will be past his prime.  Besides, how do we even have cap room for him.

I guess I'll hold my judgement until the first, but Vanek and Smith should be moved.  No brainers.

Vanek is probably worth a 1st in comparison to these other deals that have gone down but teams are probably willing to sacrifice a 2nd for a lesser player than giving up a 1st for Vanek. The worst thing Holland can do is miss out on getting a good 2nd at the very least

1 hour ago, LeftWinger said:

All these D-Men moving, it's going to be oh well on Smith. All the teams that had said they were interested in him are acquiring others... Holland may be screwing the pooch as we speak.

Like I said earlier, by telling teams he wanted to talk to Smith's agents first, Holland might as well have said no.  And really, he got to this point in the season and has just now decided to start negotiations?  Why the hell wouldn't he have done it by now if he was thinking about bringing Smith back?  Either Holland has a complete lack of foresight or he just wanted an excuse set up for not doing anything.

20 minutes ago, HockeytownRules19 said:

OMG... what is wrong with this guy?!? If you sign Smith, you've got DK, E, Kronner, Green and Jensen... so XO & Sproul are out? Not to mention any DEF in GR is left to age like fine wine?

It's a little surprising Smith would want to stay somewhere that he gets scratched and plays on the 3rd pair most of his time here. Am I crazy? Feel free to say I am.