• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

LeftWinger

2017 NHLTrade Deadline Discussion

Rate this topic

Simple, do the Wings Buy to try to make the playoffs or SELL to get draft picks and rebuild.  

101 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Had this thought. How willing are you guys willing to take back a bad contract in a trade? Like a Dustin Brown or Marian Gaborik?

To DET: Brown + 1st rounder

To LA: Vanek + Smith

Of course youre committing to 5+ years of rebuild with this style move. I dont think Ken has an appetite for it, just thinking out loud

I don't see that happening.  Honestly, I'm worried that, like Aaron Ward tweeted, that we are going to end up signing Smith to a 3 year 3.75 per contract.  That'll piss a lot of people off, since he hadn't earned that.  Just like E and DK.  Over-inflated D salaries abound!

Just to clarify, Ward tweeted "if" we re-sign him, those figures are likely.

8 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Had this thought. How willing are you guys willing to take back a bad contract in a trade? Like a Dustin Brown or Marian Gaborik?

To DET: Brown + 1st rounder

To LA: Vanek + Smith

Of course youre committing to 5+ years of rebuild with this style move. I dont think Ken has an appetite for it, just thinking out loud

Just remembered Colorado has done nothing so far and the rumors about Duchene and Landeskog have really died. I could see them making a big splash tomorrow and stealing our thunder. 

Remember, Landeskog is signed through 20/21 at 5.75 per and Duchene through 18/19 at 6 per.  They are more likely to be traded in the offseason, not as rentals.

1 minute ago, SwedeLundin77 said:

I don't see that happening.  Honestly, I'm worried that, like Aaron Ward tweeted, that we are going to end up signing Smith to a 3 year 3.75 per contract.  That'll piss a lot of people off, since he hadn't earned that.  Just like E and DK.  Over-inflated D salaries abound!

Just to clarify, Ward tweeted "if" we re-sign him, those figures are likely.

Like I said earlier, im really hoping the wings are just pumping up his value in anticipation of Shattenkirk leaving the market. Teams like the pens and Toronto were never going to submit a serious offer on Smith until Shatty got moved. Now hes moved and the work begins on selling a hopefully inflated Smith. If Holland actually re-signs him ill put a fist through something. 

6 minutes ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

Zero interest in taking brown and judging by the trades we should be able to get a 1st and 2 2nds for vanek and smith or a 1st,2nd,3rd

we take brown we'd  better get a lot more than a first 

I agree with that. Just spit-balling to see what folks think. 

8 minutes ago, DickieDunn said:

I can hear Holland already.  "we got some calls about some guys, but in the end I decide to try to re-sign them and keep them here long term."

No matter how many times someone makes this comment, it literally never gets old. Pummel that horse!

Really starting to think Sheahan might be on the move. There's more insiders/reporters saying that we're taking calls on him than any other player. Ive heard several teams have interest and 3 to 4 teams. Only one specifically mentioned is Toronto naturally. 

Well guys there is still some time left. The asking price of first round pick us and was unrealistic. Last time Vanek brought a second and a prospect back.. so the wings better come down with their asking price if they want to get at least something for him. Want a first? Sell Green!

Smith, Vanek should return 2 second round picks, Green a first and then one of Tatar/Goose another first rounder... Ask Nielsen about a trade in the summer but good luck with that.

TLDR; to early for panic

7 minutes ago, frankgrimes said:

Well guys there is still some time left. The asking price of first round pick us and was unrealistic. Last time Vanek brought a second and a prospect back.. so the wings better come down with their asking price if they want to get at least something for him. Want a first? Sell Green!

Smith, Vanek should return 2 second round picks, Green a first and then one of Tatar/Goose another first rounder... Ask Nielsen about a trade in the summer but good luck with that.

TLDR; to early for panic

A good GM tries to get the best deal he can. You can't blame Holland for attempting to get a 1st for Vanek (he still may). With that being said, if he gets nothing then this is definitely a complete failure on Holland's part.

12 minutes ago, frankgrimes said:

TLDR; to early for panic

If Hanzal gets a 1st and a 2nd, there is absolutely nothing unreasonable about a 1st for Vanek.

A good GM tries to get the best deal he can. You can't blame Holland for attempting to get a 1st for Vanek (he still may). With that being said, if he gets nothing then this is definitely a complete failure on Holland's part.

Of course and that's the right thing to do I'm just saying if it's getting close to 1.3, 3 pm better come down before not getting anything back.

10 minutes ago, frankgrimes said:

Of course and that's the right thing to do I'm just saying if it's getting close to 1.3, 3 pm better come down before not getting anything back.

Hollands been working the phones all night and we have all day tomorrow. Should be a big day for us tomorrow i think. I believe we have the number 1 forward and number 1 Dman available at this point (unless landeskog and duchene move). If nothing happens tomorrow ill get a tad bit more anxious. If it hits 3 pm wednesday with nothing done ill go full breakdown and disavow Holland. You have my word. 

1 hour ago, frankgrimes said:

Smith, Vanek should return 2 second round picks, Green a first and then one of Tatar/Goose another first rounder... Ask Nielsen about a trade in the summer but good luck with that

Well, Vanek brought a conditional 1st, a 2nd, and Matt Moulson when the Islanders acquired him. The Habs only got him for less because because everybody knew The Islanders were desperate to get back some of what they spent to get him.  

I think a 1st is definitely reasonably wth the other deals going on.

29 minutes ago, kylee said:

What's with everyone's infatuation with high draft picks? 

High draft picks are the key to finding the future cornerstones of your team. The higher the pick, the greater the probability. As stacked as we are with mid level players, we lack elite players. The draft is our best chance of obtaining some.

Edited by kliq

30 minutes ago, kliq said:

High draft picks are the key to finding the future cornerstones of your team. The higher the pick, the greater the probability. As stacked as we are with mid level players, we lack elite players. The draft is our best chance of obtaining some.

20 minutes ago, PavelValerievichDatsyuk said:

Do you think we should aim for the low ones?

of course not but some people are acting as if a high draft pick is just going to automatically be a bonafide top 6 forward or top pairing defenseman. For every star or NHL player theres at least as many if not more busts 

2 hours ago, kliq said:

High draft picks are the key to finding the future cornerstones of your team. The higher the pick, the greater the probability.

And the more high picks you get, the more shots you get at landing that kind of talent. Not that cornerstone talent can't be found in later rounds, of course. But, point is, you want to give yourself the best odds you can. Getting some high picks in any given draft doesn't necessarily mean you're going to draft a single truly great player in that draft -- but, at this point, that path is pretty much our only way forward. We have to commit to it. While I love some of our young talent, we are in desperate need of at least two or three players who are even better than our best young players (Mantha, Larkin, Athanasiou, Mrazek). That's how far away we are from winning our next Cup, IMHO. Again, the draft is pretty much the only way we're getting that kind of talent, so...we've gotta draft, and we've gotta be aggressive about it.

4 hours ago, Datsyukian-Deke said:

If Hanzal gets a 1st and a 2nd, there is absolutely nothing unreasonable about a 1st for Vanek.

There's nothing unreasonable about it, but, at the same time, I can absolutely understand why Hanzal would be the far more attractive option for any number of GMs. We can compare point totals, but, at the end of the day, Hanzal is a big-bodied second-line centerman who can play tough minutes against top talent and hold his own. He's mean, he's a good playmaker, he's a great two-way player, he works well with speedy, creative wingers, he can play in all situations, and he can slot in as a 1C if need be. He's also a bit younger than Vanek. And, fair or not, he doesn't have Vanek's "reputation"/"baggage." It's entirely possible Hanzal becomes a force on what is a very good Wild team (probably the best NHL team he's ever played on). Vanek is extremely skilled and highly motivated, but he's not necessarily someone who a number of GMs look at and say, "This is the piece that could put us over the top." I think, for a lot of GMs, Hanzal was That Guy.

(Still, I'll be disappointed if we don't get at least a 1st for Vanek.)

40 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

I think if we end up with 3 1sts, we need to turn one of those plus a player for something we can use immediately. Not for a playoff run, but a young player that will make this team better and be on the team full time.

If we end up with three 1st round picks, Holland should be exempt from any s*** talk for at least a few months... I'll be content with adding a 1st and a 2nd. We could potentially have two 1st's, two 2nd's and two 3rd's, if not more going into next year's draft. But year, I agree with flipping a couple pieces (picks / prospects / roster players) for immediate help on the back end. I'm still hoping Holland will be VERY active at the deadline today / tomorrow, as well as this summer. Off load some bad contracts and get this team back on track...