• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

LeftWinger

2017 NHLTrade Deadline Discussion

Rate this topic

Simple, do the Wings Buy to try to make the playoffs or SELL to get draft picks and rebuild.  

101 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Told you guys to temper your expectations. Fair or not Vanek seems to have a somewhat negative reputation around the league. A first for him was just unrealistic from the get go

Looooove McIllrath so I'm very happy with this.

Holland realized to better get something than nothing which was the right decision. McIllrath will make sure the goaltenders aren't getting run over or people parking their asses Infront of them

Now on to the summer to unload Green, Tatar/Goose

1 minute ago, NitzGuy said:

lol pick is conditional

The condition is, if the Panthers make the playoffs, the 3rd becomes the 3rd the acquired from Arizona. Which means it becomes a late 2nd basically. 

I still think Nyquist will be dealt today. 

NHL Network Trade deadline show said KH has said Detroit is done for the day. No Sheahan, no nobody.

Hopefully the next move then is replacing the GM.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk... ignore the typos!

6 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

I still think Nyquist will be dealt today. 

You don't ACTUALLY think this do you?

Nyquist isn't being traded today. I don't see him going anywhere, but IF he does, it'll be in the offseason, certainly not today...

So, McIlrath is in the minors...ufa after the season...does he get called up, re-signed, protected?

Just now, krsmith17 said:

You don't ACTUALLY think this do you?

Nyquist isn't being traded today. I don't see him going anywhere, but IF he does, it'll be in the offseason, certainly not today...

Someone is going to call in with a sweet offer near the deadline. Too many teams out there still need offensive help. 

I held out some hope that the McIlrath acquisition was a prelude to another deal but it appears that is not the case. If McIlrath can somehow become a 2nd pair D, then I view this as a good trade. If, otoh, he's a 3rd pair tough guy, then this wasn't enough for the Vanek asset.

Just now, Bump said:

Mental note: I'll pay no attention to that twitter account that claimed the asking price for Vanek was 2 1st round picks.

Definitely seemed sketchy at the time.. looks like the skepticism was justifiable.  

12 minutes ago, Bump said:

I held out some hope that the McIlrath acquisition was a prelude to another deal but it appears that is not the case. If McIlrath can somehow become a 2nd pair D, then I view this as a good trade. If, otoh, he's a 3rd pair tough guy, then this wasn't enough for the Vanek asset.

He has no upside, he's cleared waivers before.  He's a fringe bottom pairing d-man.

6 minutes ago, Bump said:

Mental note: I'll pay no attention to that twitter account that climed the asking price for Vanek was 2 1st round picks.

Depends on the actual twitter source. 

They're saying that Vrbata may (probably is) be staying in the desert. If that's true, I'm guessing that lowered the asking price for Vanek - when in reality it should have done the opposite. 

Weird.

Players with time left on their deals aren't often moved at the deadline.  I wan't expecting Tatar, Nyquist, etc. to be moved.

Moving Sheahan would only have been worth it for the right return.  As bad as he's been, he's a better player than that.  I expect a bounce back if they take out the Trashill.

Vanek brought less than expected, but you can only get what other teams are willing to offer and just because the Hawks and Rags were willing to overpay, that doesn't mean everyone was.  That said, I think if Holland had been willing to accept less than a first rounder early on, he could have moved Vanek for a second before some of the other forwards were moved.

3 minutes ago, DickieDunn said:

Players with time left on their deals aren't often moved at the deadline.  I wan't expecting Tatar, Nyquist, etc. to be moved.

Moving Sheahan would only have been worth it for the right return.  As bad as he's been, he's a better player than that.  I expect a bounce back if they take out the Trashill.

Vanek brought less than expected, but you can only get what other teams are willing to offer and just because the Hawks and Rags were willing to overpay, that doesn't mean everyone was.  That said, I think if Holland had been willing to accept less than a first rounder early on, he could have moved Vanek for a second before some of the other forwards were moved.

Possibly, pure speculation though.  At the end of the day, while the Vanek return was less than I hoped, that part is largely out of Holland's control.  I would've like to see us move Green as well at a minimum but given the players we did move, I'm satisfied with our returns overall.

Edited by greenrebellion