• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

LeftWinger

2017 NHLTrade Deadline Discussion

Rate this topic

Simple, do the Wings Buy to try to make the playoffs or SELL to get draft picks and rebuild.  

101 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, LeftWinger said:

Just because we're done calling, doesn't mean gm's won't call Holland. If this day ends without Nyquist being dealt, Holland failed his fans and should be thrown in the river.

so no matter what, Holland fails. If he doesn't even get asked about Nyquist he fails lol.

1 minute ago, DickieDunn said:

Vanek brought less than expected, but you can only get what other teams are willing to offer and just because the Hawks and Rags were willing to overpay, that doesn't mean everyone was.  That said, I think if Holland had been willing to accept less than a first rounder early on, he could have moved Vanek for a second before some of the other forwards were moved.

Yeah, I was never sold on the notion that Vanek was absolutely going to bring us a 1st "because [x] garnered [y]." There are so many variables with this kind of thing. (Look at what happened with Ben Bishop.) I'm really disappointed with the return, and, like you, I wonder if Holland simply waited too long. But I think it's fair to conclude that there was never a truly serious market for Vanek. It was "Well, if we can't get our guy, maybe we circle back to Vanek on deadline day. But we don't necessarily need Vanek. It'd just be nice to have him as a third-liner or whatever. I guess."

6 minutes ago, DatsyukianDekes said:

so no matter what, Holland fails. If he doesn't even get asked about Nyquist he fails lol.

He should throw Nyquist in the river then.

I just want him gone,  as soon as possible. He damn well better not be protected.

6 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Yeah, I fully expected to have two picks in each of the first three rounds next season, instead we have our 1st, 2nd and four 3rd's. Not very happy with the outcome here at all...

I guess we could still try to move up in the draft with some of these extra picks and guys like Nyquist or Tatar. I don't know if that's realistic but just a thought

Edited by BinMucker94

6 minutes ago, Wheelchairsuperhero said:

Based on the posts I've read here it seems like we're not moving Green? What's the point in that?

- He has another year on his contract so we could trade him next year

- He's a good Dman (maybe our best?) and offensive RH Dmen are really hard to find

- He is only 31 and the Wings might want to re-sign him after his current deal. If we're contenders in 5 years time, Green could still be a part of that.  

2 minutes ago, PavelValerievichDatsyuk said:

- He has another year on his contract so we could trade him next year

- He's a good Dman (maybe our best?) and offensive RH Dmen are really hard to find

- He is only 31 and the Wings might want to re-sign him after his current deal. If we're contenders in 5 years time, Green could still be a part of that.  

I didn't realize he had another year, left, thanks for clearing that up. I do hope we trade him next year though. I'm a big Green fan, but I don't see him playing at this level into his mid-30's.

15 minutes ago, Wheelchairsuperhero said:

Based on the posts I've read here it seems like we're not moving Green? What's the point in that?

They need to keep some NHL caliber defensemen, and he might bring more next year as a rental.

38 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Yeah, I fully expected to have two picks in each of the first three rounds next season, instead we have our 1st, 2nd and four 3rd's. Not very happy with the outcome here at all...

Expectations were high, certainly, but what can you do?

32 minutes ago, BinMucker94 said:

I guess we could still try to move up in the draft with some of these extra picks and guys like Nyquist or Tatar. I don't know if that's realistic but just a thought

Honestly, this is where guys like Tatar or Nyquist are going to get moved.  Teams can realistically look at where they'll stand for next year with cap and what their outlook might be.  Also, I don't think we're really going to have to worry about moving up in the draft.  Unless we get hosed in the lottery, we've got a pretty damn good pick sitting at the bottom of the Eastern Conference.

29 minutes ago, greenrebellion said:

That's what people don't get, you take the third or you hang on to him.  And we all know that if Holland held on to the guy, this forum would have been up in arms.

This.  A GAZILLION TIMES THIS.

Based on all the garbage contracts Kenny has doled out, I don't have much faith in his ability to rebuild. Plus, he really didn't do much as a "seller" for the first time in his career.

Is it okay to admit it's time for new blood at the top? He's been here a long time and has been successful (or enjoyed others' success... surely debatable) but it feels like the game has passed him by. 

The excuses are getting old. This rebuild should've started 5 years ago. First order of business should've been making Kenny move up and allowing Steve Yzerman to be GM.

8 minutes ago, scotzman said:

Based on all the garbage contracts Kenny has doled out, I don't have much faith in his ability to rebuild. Plus, he really didn't do much as a "seller" for the first time in his career.

Is it okay to admit it's time for new blood at the top? He's been here a long time and has been successful (or enjoyed others' success... surely debatable) but it feels like the game has passed him by. 

The excuses are getting old. This rebuild should've started 5 years ago. First order of business should've been making Kenny move up and allowing Steve Yzerman to be GM.

Who else should Holland have traded?

Also hindsight is 20/20, 5 years ago (2012) was the year we beat Anaheim and almost (should have) taken out Chicago.

1 minute ago, DatsyukianDekes said:

Who else should Holland have traded?

Also hindsight is 20/20, 5 years ago (2012) was the year we beat Anaheim and almost (should have) taken out Chicago.

Before I answer a question with so many possible scenarios, let me ask you: Are you happy with Ken Holland continuing as the GM and rebuilding this team?

Just now, scotzman said:

Before I answer a question with so many possible scenarios, let me ask you: Are you happy with Ken Holland continuing as the GM and rebuilding this team?

I am indifferent, we shouldn't always assume newer is better. (See Blashill).

1 minute ago, DatsyukianDekes said:

I am indifferent, we shouldn't always assume newer is better. (See Blashill).

So, much like our GM, you're happy with the status quo? One decent Playoff run since 2010 is all you require? 

Just now, greenrebellion said:

A lot of teams in this league would kill for the success we've had.  

Mediocrity for the last 6+ years headed into a new barn is definitely something to sell to your fanbase.

Just now, scotzman said:

So, much like our GM, you're happy with the status quo? One decent Playoff run since 2010 is all you require? 

Perhaps after 2013 we had "one" decent playoff run. Before that we were fine.

2011 -Lost to SJ in WCF game 7.

2012 - Lost to Preds in WQF game 5

2013 - Lost to Chicago WCF game 7

God we were so spoiled, thus some of our fans don't know we can't win every year.