• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

LeftWinger

2017 NHLTrade Deadline Discussion

Rate this topic

Simple, do the Wings Buy to try to make the playoffs or SELL to get draft picks and rebuild.  

101 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Ok, it is now February, the deadline is Tuesday the 28th, IT'S TIME!

Here is the official discussion thread for al your opinions and suggestions for this team to "buy"  to make the playoffs or "sell" to get the highest possible draft pick this year and collect as many draft picks/prospects as they can.

Also, if/when trades happen from now to the deadline, we can gather it here along with the initial "TRADE" thread. I know a thread will be made for almost every trade, especially if it involves The Wings, but we can discuss all of it here as well! So, here it goes!

I love the lore of The Streak ad would love to see it go on, but only if we were competitive, so, IMO, they should SELL.

Here is my list of players that are not available:

Zetterberg, Neilsen, Larken, Athanasiou, Mantha.

Yep, its short. Not that I want to trade the entire team, but at this point, I need to see the light coming (hope its not a train) and get back to this being a true Hockeytown.  I am not up on other teams prospects, so I don't know who is worth what, but I am very much ok with trading assets for picks.

Honestly there is a player I'd want to "buy" but not that it will get us in the playoffs, just to get him in our organization now instead of waiting to see if he goes UFA in 2018, and that is Cam Fowler. Whether is be at the deadline or before the expansion draft, I want this guy in our organization. He is better than what we have, yes I know he isn't a top #1 D-Man, but having him would make us better next season and beyond. My ultimate goal is to have Trouba or Hamilton here, but that obviously is not going to happen at the deadline, or even at all, for they would be pricey. I still maintain that a top 5 pick would get one of them here (add a asset to add to the pot) but that has been debated amongst us here and there.

I am not sure even what our guys could bring, but I am pretty sure there are teams out there that would love to have Vanek, Green, Smith (if healthy,) Tatar, Nyquist, Helm, Abby, etc...and one of our goalies (yes, for the right price I'd risk trading Mrazek.)  Any of these players could bring anywhere from a 1st to a 3rd round pick in this or next years draft.

So, we know that Vanek is being asked about, as is Tatar and Nyquist. What could we really get for any of them? I know Anaheim is a the top of their division, and Fowler is doing well, but unless they can convince Bieska to waive his NMC, they have to leave one of Fowler, Vatanen or Lindlholm unprotected. I am sure they'd love to get something for one of them instead of losing them to Vegas.  What could we offer for Anaheim outside of my 5 "non trades" above? Could Nyquist+ bring him here? Like I said, acquiring Fowler would not be for a playoff run, but for our future.

I am interested in reading all your comments on what you think we should do and players you are willing to let go in order to either get us there, or get us into a top 5 pick.

Edited by LeftWinger

The guy always has to talk about other teams and already planning his excuses...Can't believe Holland still thinks this team could be in the mix they are last in the division.

There can only be 1 answer: sell, build an identity and try to finish bottom 3 which means 12,5 percent chance to get Patrick.

Holland should do whatever he can to sell off some pieces. Vanek needs to be moved to the highest bidder, regardless of whether or not he wants to come back next season. I'd move one of Tatar or Nyquist, if there are any teams inquiring. I doubt Sheahan has much value right now, but maybe a team could think a change of scenery will get him going. I'd also throw Ott's name out there to see if we can get something, even if it's a conditional pick.

On defense, we should be shopping Green hard to see what kind of return we could get. Smith is due back in a couple games, and unless a defenseman gets injured tonight or tomorrow night, someone will have to be moved before then, or a player will be lost for nothing. If that player is Marchenko, I'm not going to lose any sleep over it, but ideally I'd like to see Ericsson waive his no-trade clause... A team could possibly have some interest in Ericsson if Holland is willing to eat half his cap hit. $2.125M isn't terrible for a big, serviceable 3rd pair defenseman. I'm hoping Kronwall eventually goes the way of LTIR to open up another spot for one of the kids. If Smith can get some good games in before the deadline, I'd be open to moving him as well. We need to shed salary, open up roster spots and go with the youth...

I believe the two D most likely to be moved are Green and Smith. But I sure do wish we could get a taker for Ericsson. Unless we're getting an offer we can't refuse, I honestly think green is staying. I'd listen to offers on everyone, but I'd be shopping Ericsson, Marchenko and Smith the hardest. I'm not too sure DD is available unless it brings youth back

I'd be shopping all forwards not named Z, Larkin, AA, mantha. I want Vanek longer term, but if we can turn him into a nice pick/prospect and then sign him again, that would be a perfect scenario. 

Inous my opinion, there are only 3 players which I would not move (unless there is a huge overpayment).

Mantha, Larkin and AA.

Everyone else should be available. Expansion draft is coming, teams will be looking to move some good players just not to lose them for nothing... so trade Vanek, one of Tatar/Nyquist, Green, Nielsen, DeKe, She, Jurco... for draft picks, prospects and expansion draft exempted players... KH will need to be creative (good luck with that) this off-season will be funny to watch.

The time has come to sell but it will be difficult to trade with anyone and get draft picks in return.  Almost everyone is up against the cap.  That means getting back undesirable contracts.  Compounding the problem is the expansion draft and teams adding extra players to protect.  Trades wont be easy.

About a week ago Ken Daniels said on hockey central at noon that he expects the Red Wings will sell at the deadline. Indicating that they will then regroup for next season (not tanking).

Holland also said yesterday on 97.1 that no one on the team is untouchable trade-wise. 

Not much I can add to the conversation. From a standpoint of making the playoffs or not, we are very likely not making it. With that in hand and an old core that cannot sustain any more it's time to sell.

So hand out what you can but keep the youngsters. Picks or prospects only in return. Accept taking on some salary for some players, as mentioned Ericsson, Howard, even Smith.

Well he's off to a start, he cleared $1.4M today with Marchenko.

I have a feeling if they win tonight, and get within 5 points of a spot, they will stand pat.

Lost in all this fuss about us, WTF is happening in TB? We've been falling for years, so we kind of expected this, but TB? Holy crap! Do you think they are tanking it?

Edited by LeftWinger

Philly lost in OT, so we can gain ground on them with 2 points tonight. We'd be 5 points out of the wildcard. I guess they aren't out of it yet.  They are going to go balls out to try to extend this streak. If they get another #14, they will probably get a player they like (Foote, Hague maybe.) Heck, they may be able to get one in the 1st and one in the 2nd.

59 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Lost in all this fuss about us, WTF is happening in TB? We've been falling for years, so we kind of expected this, but TB? Holy crap! Do you think they are tanking it?

I wonder too. And they are not tanking deliberately. They were strong cup contenders before the season started. Stamkos is not getting younger and their roster not cheaper so the Window for them is closing pretty fast. You can bet they are not tanking.

Back to us: I also think (hope) that we are selling this season. If Kenny has a choice he should better get lots of low quality picks than just few high ones. I think it is better to spread our picks out to mitigate the luck that is involved, especially with lower picks. What do you guys think ? Better get some high picks or more but lower ones ?

As ken Holland I can tell you, we will be making every attempt to trade for a top pairing defenseman but only if the deal is right! We are proposing a deal of riley Sheehan for Duncan Keith and the streak is super duper important to management so I have to try. 

Ok so I've kicked some tires and I waved mike green to sign Ian white. We feel his veteran presence and his past experience with our team will serve us well on our road to the playoffs. And we got him for a measly 6 million dollars a year for 6 years!

1 hour ago, derblaueClaus said:

I wonder too. And they are not tanking deliberately. They were strong cup contenders before the season started. Stamkos is not getting younger and their roster not cheaper so the Window for them is closing pretty fast. You can bet they are not tanking.

Back to us: I also think (hope) that we are selling this season. If Kenny has a choice he should better get lots of low quality picks than just few high ones. I think it is better to spread our picks out to mitigate the luck that is involved, especially with lower picks. What do you guys think ? Better get some high picks or more but lower ones ?

Stammer is still injured isn't he?

Rumors with the Tigers were that when DD wanted to sell, Mike Illitch was pissed and fired him. Rumors also were out their that Chris Illitch wanted to sell this past off season in regards to the Tigers. The reason why I bring this up, is now that Chris Illitch has full control over the team, does this mean we are more likely going to become sellers? Personally, I do. Say what you want about Holland, but if Illitch tells him to sell, he's selling.

I think what made Mike Illitch great was his drive to always put together the best team possible, selling assets just doesn't mesh with that. If Mike was still owner, I think we stand pat. I will flat out say that I respect Illitch for that type of thinking as it is what led to us being so great for so long, so please do not misinterpret this, but with that being said I think most think right now would agree that we need to sell some piece,s and I think with Chris now in charge it is more likely to happen.

I'm just going to say that even though I know he'd fetch us a nice return, how stupid is it to think that one of the most successful UFA signings since Hossa that we've had, and he's probably going to be the first to be traded. I say just hang on to him and then re-sign him after the draft. I bet if you give him between $4M- $5M he'll be super happy to stay.

Keeping Vanek is worthless. At best he'd help win 5 or 6 more games next year. Or he could get a 3 year deal and go back to being the player the Wild bought out. Trade him and get assets that will help you down the road when they have a shot at beings contenders again.

Sent from my LGLS676 using Tapatalk

56 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

I'm just going to say that even though I know he'd fetch us a nice return, how stupid is it to think that one of the most successful UFA signings since Hossa that we've had, and he's probably going to be the first to be traded. I say just hang on to him and then re-sign him after the draft. I bet if you give him between $4M- $5M he'll be super happy to stay.

If you want to keep him, trade him and then re-sign him in the offseason after the expansion draft.