• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Wing Across The Pond

Ken Hitchcock fired as coach of Blues

Rate this topic

If we can't get good defensemen, the next best thing would be to get someone that knows how to teach his players how to play good defense.  Unfortunately, I don't see the Wings giving up on Blashill this quickly, regardless of whether we miss the playoffs or not and Hitchcock will get a head coaching job somewhere soon.

A team that is 2nd in the wild card fires a long term veteran coach and we sit dead last in the east, we have the highest payroll and we are forced to suffer through Blashill.  The Wings are turning into some weird secret handshake club where everyone is giving and getting reach arounds to stay with this team.  

41 minutes ago, puckbags said:

A team that is 2nd in the wild card fires a long term veteran coach and we sit dead last in the east, we have the highest payroll and we are forced to suffer through Blashill.  The Wings are turning into some weird secret handshake club where everyone is giving and getting reach arounds to stay with this team.  

Now that is some funny stuff...

If Holland let's this guy go to another team...this is a no brainer. He has the pedigree, he has the experience. If anyone can turn this team around, it's him. He will turn DD into a great defender...and guess what, in case you forgot, Shattenkirk is a ufa this July. Having hitch could play a role in landing him. Not my first choice, but easier to attain than Trouba or Hamilton. We could trade for Fowler, then sign shatt. Follow that up with xo, Jensen, Sproul and DD. We're in. Maybe we'll still have green, but Marchy can be dealt and Kronwall can retire. Ericsson bought out I'd not claimed or dealt. 

The rebuild starts with Hitchcock. He says he wants to be part of a team,  then how about rebuilding the greatest franchise in the nhl? Plus a brand new building! Again, this is a no brainer Kenny. If this isn't done, something stinks in Hockeytown. 

I liken this to Bryan Murray and Scotty Bowman. Scotty became available, no brainer. Hitch isn't Scotty, but he's right up there with Babcock. Two ***** of a feather. This must get done. MUST.

I guess the other question would be if you're committed to doing a full rebuild do you want to crash and burn next year as well and stack multiple top picks in consecutive years ala Edmonton and Pittsburgh, or do you want to try to take what we can this year and start working your way back up immediately. If you want a full rebuild maybe Hitchcock is not the answer and Blashill is.  I personally want him here though.

10 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

If Holland let's this guy go to another team...this is a no brainer. He has the pedigree, he has the experience. If anyone can turn this team around, it's him. He will turn DD into a great defender...and guess what, in case you forgot, Shattenkirk is a ufa this July. Having hitch could play a role in landing him. Not my first choice, but easier to attain than Trouba or Hamilton. We could trade for Fowler, then sign shatt. Follow that up with xo, Jensen, Sproul and DD. We're in. Maybe we'll still have green, but Marchy can be dealt and Kronwall can retire. Ericsson bought out I'd not claimed or dealt. 

The rebuild starts with Hitchcock. He says he wants to be part of a team,  then how about rebuilding the greatest franchise in the nhl? Plus a brand new building! Again, this is a no brainer Kenny. If this isn't done, something stinks in Hockeytown. 

I liken this to Bryan Murray and Scotty Bowman. Scotty became available, no brainer. Hitch isn't Scotty, but he's right up there with Babcock. Two ***** of a feather. This must get done. MUST.

Whoa whoa whoa, changing coaches mid season never works...just ask the Isles **** insert sarcasm emoji here ***

10 minutes ago, Echolalia said:

I guess the other question would be if you're committed to doing a full rebuild do you want to crash and burn next year as well and stack multiple top picks in consecutive years ala Edmonton and Pittsburgh, or do you want to try to take what we can this year and start working your way back up immediately. If you want a full rebuild maybe Hitchcock is not the answer and Blashill is.  I personally want him here though.

I don't think Blashill is the answer, in any capacity, at this point.  He has shown a surprising lack of passion or heart and it's clear that when your team is in the dumps and you finally get healthy, that if you are showing very little heart and drive, it has to be on the coach.  Holland needs to move on from him now, so that we can get a possible coach in (Hitchcock, Gallant) that can prove what he can do down the stretch here and then they can make a decision in the off-season.  

3 minutes ago, F.Michael said:

Didn't Hitch spend some time in Detroit during the off season back when Babs was coaching  here - going over coaching strategies/styles, or what not?

I'm not sure but I think at some point Hitchcock was part of Babs' stuff wheter it was Olympics or WCH can't remember. But the man has experience, knows how to coach a system and is not going to accept an half ass effort or any diva like attitude problems at all. Maybe this team doesn't know how to benefit from a players coach if so fine, let's show them some tough love and Hitchcock would for sure deliver that.

If the Wings want the guy they better be quick because the Isles, Vegas (at some point) and maybe even Boston if they fire Julien will be looking for a coach.

I want a full rebuild but I also want a guy who demands respect from the first minute the players are walking into the locker-room. This country-club and diva like atmosphere has to be over at some poin and in my mind it's time that Chris or whoever is in charge is sending a strong message to the team, now.

1 hour ago, SwedeLundin77 said:

I don't think Blashill is the answer, in any capacity, at this point.  He has shown a surprising lack of passion or heart and it's clear that when your team is in the dumps and you finally get healthy, that if you are showing very little heart and drive, it has to be on the coach.  Holland needs to move on from him now, so that we can get a possible coach in (Hitchcock, Gallant) that can prove what he can do down the stretch here and then they can make a decision in the off-season.  

I agree but my point was if you want to tank you want a s***ty coach to help increase the odds of that happening.  People who support tanking might be against grabbing a Hitchcock-type because the Wings may climb in the standings and end up getting the 13th pick instead of top 3, and may make the playoffs altogether next year with a mediocre team.  If you want to stockpile many top picks you probably want a crummy coach getting you there, then once the picks have accumulated then you transition to a quality coach.  But like I said, I disagree with that line of thinking.

Edited by Echolalia

Honestly, if they hired Hitch, got into the last wildcard and was able to still draft Foote or Hague, I would not be upset at all.  I don't trust Holland with a top 5, I would only want it to trade it for a legit #1 defenseman.  But, like I said, if we had Hitch, maybe Shatt will give us a real close look.  Unless he doesn't like Hitch for some reason, but not sure about that.

Sign Hitch, make the playoff, extend streak, Ilitch happy, now trade for Fowler, draft Hague (or Foote) then Sign Shatt. Re-Sign Vanek. Buy out Ericsson, Kronwall retires, Clean house before the season starts, buy out Howard as well.

Top 6:

Larkin - Z -Mantha

AA - Nielsen - Vanek

Bottom 6:

Whoever is let from the sale! Helm, Abby, Glenny? Etc....

Bottom line, sign this guy at this moment, DO NOT let him get away!

1 hour ago, puckbags said:

Whoa whoa whoa, changing coaches mid season never works...just ask the Isles **** insert sarcasm emoji here ***

...AND the 2009 Penguins...that didn't work. :ninja:

So, here's the perfect scenario...Hire Hitch now...make the playoffs, draft Foote (Hague.)

Hitch hires Chelios as D coach and grooms him to take over after he retires!

Holland and Hitchcock bring this franchise back to legit playoff team next season, 2018, Holland steps aside (or up) and Stevie Y steps in!