• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Wing Across The Pond

Ken Hitchcock fired as coach of Blues

Rate this topic

10 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Honestly, if they hired Hitch, got into the last wildcard and was able to still draft Foote or Hague, I would not be upset at all.  I don't trust Holland with a top 5, I would only want it to trade it for a legit #1 defenseman.  But, like I said, if we had Hitch, maybe Shatt will give us a real close look.  Unless he doesn't like Hitch for some reason, but not sure about that.

Sign Hitch, make the playoff, extend streak, Ilitch happy, now trade for Fowler, draft Hague (or Foote) then Sign Shatt. Re-Sign Vanek. Buy out Ericsson, Kronwall retires, Clean house before the season starts, buy out Howard as well.

Top 6:

Larkin - Z -Mantha

AA - Nielsen - Vanek

Bottom 6:

Whoever is let from the sale! Helm, Abby, Glenny? Etc....

Bottom line, sign this guy at this moment, DO NOT let him get away!

...AND the 2009 Penguins...that didn't work. :ninja:

I didnt want to bring that one up.  Nightmares still...

Hitch was retiring at the end of the season anyways. Interesting option for Vegas though if they can convince him to stick around. Vegas will will a few solid choices for a head coach.

As for him coming to Detroit, I can't see it happening. He doesn't strike me as the kinda coach who likes his GM closely involved with how he runs his team, plus I think a lot of coaches know Kenny has a mess on his hands, and may be too set in his ways to fix it in a decent amount of time. When guys like Kronwall and Errorsson, who have zero chance of being claimed (even though it would be great) don't get waived whe there's a D logjam and a young player gets exposed instead, there's a big problem. Kenny and his "loyalty" have ran this team into the ground.

On page 1, dreger tweeted that hitch wants to be part of a team and does not want to go out like this. Detroit fits that bill. What's more intriguing than coming here and bringing the team back to glory?

If Holland isn't on a conference call with ilitch and Hitchcock today, then the franchise is doomed to Edmonton status of the last 10-15 yrs...

Just now, LeftWinger said:

On page 1, dreger tweeted that hitch wants to be part of a team and does not want to go out like this. Detroit fits that bill. What's more intriguing than coming here and bringing the team back to glory?

If Holland isn't on a conference call with ilitch and Hitchcock today, then the franchise is doomed to Edmonton status of the last 10-15 yrs...

Well if his options are Vegas, Isles and Detroit? One would think an Original 6 team with the best owner in all of sports should be the clear number 1 choice right? But if it's true and he doesn't like his GM being too involved might as well forget it because there is no way Holland is taking a backseat.

If the Wings don't react to this opportunity they are beyond hopeless at this point sorry.

He had said this was his last season of coaching in general. He didn't even want to coach this year, but the Blues convinced him. Maybe he'd consider coaching still though...

I agree he'd good for Detroit just not sure he' like the idea of coaching here wit the team in a free fall and no real plan for the future in place. Hell, Blash and Kenny are still talking about a playoff run when it's clear that they need an asset selloff and a high draft pick more than anything. It's insane.

Is it in a free fall because of the players or how they're used? We say it every GDT,  where's Mantha, AA why is Ericsson out there, why not XO or Sproul? Why is DD out there to start OT, why isn't AA or Mantha on the PP? Why is disney.com in the top 6, why isn't Sheahan or Nyquist or Tatar sitting to "get the message." 

While I'll agree that we don't have superstars, but great coaches bring out the best in what they have. 

It sounds simple, but, going with our current lineup, our lines should be:

Larkin-Z-Mantha 

AA-NIELSEN-VANEK

Nyquist-Helm-Tatar

Jurco-GLenny-ABby.

No way in hell should AA, Mantha or Larkin see bottom 6 ever again! And they all need to be on the PP units!

Edited by LeftWinger

12 minutes ago, chaps80 said:

He had said this was his last season of coaching in general. He didn't even want to coach this year, but the Blues convinced him. Maybe he'd consider coaching still though...

I agree he'd good for Detroit just not sure he' like the idea of coaching here wit the team in a free fall and no real plan for the future in place. Hell, Blash and Kenny are still talking about a playoff run when it's clear that they need an asset selloff and a high draft pick more than anything. It's insane.

Where are they talking about a playoff run? To be honest I haven't heard or read anything from Kenny in a while. Maybe it's because I'm mostly looking at TSN.ca/nhl. When only the Avs and Arizona are worse there is no way both are that delusional

Edited by frankgrimes

1 hour ago, LeftWinger said:

Larkin-Z-Mantha 

AA-NIELSEN-VANEK

Nyquist-Helm-Tatar

Jurco-GLenny-ABby.

I like Hitchcock. But I don't think he would work for our team which will be in transition really soon. I have also watched his interviews last summer about taking 1 year contracts and that this was his last and he gave an honest impression about that. Being canned could change that of course, I guess we'll see. He should be the prime candidate for Vegas.

Well Lefty I didn't see this coming. Given what we have to play with I agree with your lineup. Maybe switching Larkin with AA but that's nitpicking both work fine. 

With that said I don't think we should roll those lines. I want a decent pick, we are in bad shape and if we are gonna miss the playoffs lets go out with a big bang.

2 hours ago, frankgrimes said:

Where are they talking about a playoff run? To be honest I haven't heard or read anything from Kenny in a while. Maybe it's because I'm mostly looking at TSN.ca/nhl. When only the Avs and Arizona are worse there is no way both are that delusional

From WIIM. Another link there:

http://www.wingingitinmotown.com/2017/2/1/14457328/quick-hits-bolts-ready-to-move-on-from-bishop-blashill-believes-wings-can-go-on-run

That's the latest thing i've read concerning playoffs from Blash. In the last thing I read from Kenny, he was saying he wasn't ready to start selling, playoffs are still very possible if they can get everyone back from injury and put some wins together, they have a good team that has the ability to make some noise, etc, etc. Typical Kenny bulls***. He refuses to admit the team is in huge trouble in a number of ways, refuses to come out and finally say he's committing to a full, proper rebuild, even though most fans want it, and some of the team has said they want it. Probably the only ones who don't are the ones who have the real power to make it happen, and that's frustrating as hell.

I hope Holland has already had converstions with Hitchcock and Blashill..... Hitch to coach and Blashill to waterboy. We need another well known and experienced cock on the bench! A Hitchcock will not be as good as a Babcock but it has to be wooorlds better the the non cock we have now

6 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

Is it in a free fall because of the players or how they're used? We say it every GDT,  where's Mantha, AA why is Ericsson out there, why not XO or Sproul? Why is DD out there to start OT, why isn't AA or Mantha on the PP? Why is disney.com in the top 6, why isn't Sheahan or Nyquist or Tatar sitting to "get the message." 

While I'll agree that we don't have superstars, but great coaches bring out the best in what they have. 

Larkin-Z-Mantha 

AA-NIELSEN-VANEK

Nyquist-Helm-Tatar

Jurco-GLenny-ABby.

No way in hell should AA, Mantha or Larkin see bottom 6 ever again! And they all need to be on the PP units!

Boom! Blash are you seeing this?

1 hour ago, Wingnut1989 said:

Good opportunity to get one of the better coaches in the league. Wont happen though "we like our team"

Exactly. I fully expect Blash to get another season at least. Kenny probably doesn't even know Hitch is unemployed, and if he does, most likely didn't give it a moments attention. Once Kenny gives you a contract, it may as well be a pact for life. He probably signs it in blood.

10 minutes ago, chaps80 said:

Exactly. I fully expect Blash to get another season at least. Kenny probably doesn't even know Hitch is unemployed, and if he does, most likely didn't give it a moments attention. Once Kenny gives you a contract, it may as well be a pact for life. He probably signs it in blood.

Weiss would start crying if he heard this comment. And Pav would start chuckling at it.

Edited by PavelValerievichDatsyuk

This Hitchcock thing is odd. They guy wanted to retire, Blues talked him into 1 more year, Blues fired him, now he wants to coach.

My gut tells me that if he wants to continue coaching, it would be a Scotty/Wings '94 type of deal where he wants to be the final piece for a team on the cusp of winning a cup. I can't see a guy going from wanting to retire, to being a part of a re-build. He is 65 and doesn't appear to be a healthy 65.

Edited by kliq