• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Juklitz

Interview with Petr Mrazek

Rate this topic

There´s good interview with Mrazek in czech newspapers, I´ll try to translate, but excuse my english if required , ehehe..

http://hokej.idnes.cz/petr-mrazek-rozhovor-0t2-/nhl.aspx?c=A170131_173557_nhl_ald

Q: Petr, how do you do? And I don´t mean it as a formal phrase.

M: Everybody know how do we stand and it´s affecting my performance and team as well. If we were performing by our best, we wouldn´t be last in our division. But the league is quite balanced, sometimes we loose the game by one, two goals.. But in a fact, it´s exactly like it was predicted in pre-season (to miss the play-off for the first time in last 25 yrs)

Q:What´s the reason? Psychics?

M: No, it´s not about psychics. There are certain things in the team which must be changed. And then - once these changed..when team is rebuilt.. it will be once again  Detroit as used to be.

[edit: certain things instead of some things, which could maybe change the meaning]

Q: Many teams felt to their knees when rebuilding. Is Detroit right now just waiting for it´s end?

M: Yes, every team is rebuilding time to tome and now it´s Detroit´s turn after 20 years of non-rebuilding. And maybe lot of people were expecting Wings continue like this. But, let´s see Chicago, Boston, Pens - they sacrified play-offs to rebuild. And now it´s our turn. Also US journalists must understand that it´s the time. If we want to have some real future and play for top position, something must be done right now.

Q: ..and if not?

M: Then we can easily play the middle of the table and it should be nice-looking. But, we still didn´t make it to the second round in last three years, so obviously it was not so good. [actually, this one doesn´t make any sense in original]

Q: But lot of critics out there. You´re a goalie, you are visible the most.

M: That´s about psychics, but I have no issue with that. That´s my strong point, I can easily throw it off me and go on. I don´t mind bad matches. Nothing is really bothering me, not even stuff local writers are writing here. Then you can see it in CZ, translated. But I have a feeling they are trying just to turn me on. But I don´t  care.

Q: Now you can explain something. Like the story on mlive.com, that you declined to stay longer on the training. "Is he turing to be a bad guy", was the journalist asking.

M: If that guy has asked me, I would anwer him. But he heard something, met me, but was like nothing happened. I woudn´t had an issue to explain that and chat. Only coaches know. It was optional training, in playing day, I was there for 45 minutes. Guys who´re not playing stay on the ice, rest is going to home. 

Q: Media speaking also about your trade.

M: Yes, Helene St.James from Detroit Free Press mentioned that. Of course, everyone could be traded. But I will be 25, and if they want to rebuild the team, I wouldn´t expect young players to be traded. Most likely they will be trading the older ones. But in the other hand, it´s still a bussiness. Nothing is going to happen if I´m traded. No tragedy, but challenge in new team.

Q: Third point..your new contract. ´He has a new contract and he´s not trying hard anymore´, they´re saying...

M: Yes, local journalist making a story of it, trying to poke the players. These are critics opinons, but these who do understand hockey - played hockey, they know how it´s working. Last year, I was without a contract and I was playing good, nobody gave a note. If you´re in a good team, you´re good too. If you´re first in division, all the stats are nice. When you´re last, it´s visible also.

Q: Are you changing your style currently?

M: it´s not like I´m changing it, but adjusting it. We´ve got to react on how NHL has changed. Game become faster with young players, but these are not only skating up and down, but playing the puck very well, hence we´ve been working on positioning. Trying to be more aggressive, to read the game better, when go out and when stay back. I have new goalie coach and I must say that I´m feeling much better than last year. I´m more sure and faster.

Q: Isn´t that sort of paradox?

M: No, it´s based on the whole team. Our best guys have twelve goals after fifty games. It´s like it is. There are worst teams that us, but not under fire like we are. It´s because we´re in Detroit and it´s the Hockeytown.

Q: Coach Blashill speaks with you? What´s your relationship right now?

M: Well, I would say that we had good relationship back in Grand Rapids. Other players would say the same. Now it has changed little bit, but I don´t want to go deeper.

Q: There was a free weekend during All-Star game, did you have a chance to relax?

M: Oh yes, I was to Florida with Sara (gf, voleyballlist Sara Olivovova), she´s preparing there for a season there already. There was also David Pastrnak, Voracek, Pavelec, so we relaxed. We didn´t speak about hockey.

Q: Okay, now the question NHL players don´t like during the season, but I´ve got to - what about you and world championship?

M: NHL is a priority, but the reality is obvious. We´re not close to even think about play-offs. I´d glad to go there, if I´m invited, for sure.

Edited by Juklitz

2 hours ago, Juklitz said:

There are some things in the team which must be changed.

By the way, the most interesting point (beside Blashill) is this quote. It´s maybe not visible from my poor translation, but sounds to me he´s addressing very exactly in his mind. Let´s read it as  ´certain things´ instead. Maybe better.

Mrazek has struggled this season obv, but it's time for Blash to set any problems they may have with each other personally aside, give him the net back and let him work things out, at least until Howard gets back, then go from there. Coreau getting continuing starts is not working out. He's had some good outings but lately he looks like a borderline AHLer. His inexperience is showing. Just because your 6'6 and cover a lot of net, doesn't mean you don't have to move to make saves. And his movements mostly consist of hitting the ice anytime an opposing player gets close. That shorthanded goal he allowed against NJ was a perfect example. Palmeri is a former 30 goal scorer, getting down on your knees before he's even around your defender then diving facefirst on the ice and giving him a wide open net..great move.

Not playing Mrazek will not help him to regain his form, which the team desperately needs. I know Blash and Kenny keep talking about making a run, but it's not happening. Sell assets, play all the kids, waive Kronwall and open up a D spot for Sproul or another D from GR, and start the damn rebuild already. Mrazek will be protected in the expansion draft. He is the only goalie with any chance of being claimed. Howard wouldn't because of age, injuries and inconsistent career play, and Coreau wouldn't even be thought of as a possible pick with his limited experience, and lately showing he isn't NHL ready. Vegas will have guys like Bishop and Fleury (if not traded by then), Raanta, Neimi/Lehtonen, Halak, Elliott, Smith, Budaj, Gustavsson, Reimer, Ward/Lack, etc. HSJ saying expose him and protect Coreau, who has barely any NHL experience, and go forth with Howard/Coreau if he is claimed, I dunno wtf she was on, but I want some. Lol

"Q: Coach Blashill speaks with you? What´s your relationship right now?

M: Well, I would say that we had good relationship back in Grand Rapids. Other players would say the same. Now it has changed little bit, but I don´t want to go deeper."

Well, that doesn't sound very good.

20 minutes ago, Detroit # 1 Fan said:

"Q: Coach Blashill speaks with you? What´s your relationship right now?

M: Well, I would say that we had good relationship back in Grand Rapids. Other players would say the same. Now it has changed little bit, but I don´t want to go deeper."

Well, that doesn't sound very good.

It sounds like hes having a hissy fit because he wasn't handed the number 1 position for the whole year, frankly.

57 minutes ago, Echolalia said:

It sounds like hes having a hissy fit because he wasn't handed the number 1 position for the whole year, frankly.

Holland said something about him not  having a great attitude, and not working hard enough while experiencing the adversity of a down season. Apparantly he was in the backup net during practice and skated off when Coreau did (whoever is designated backup for the upcoming game is supposed to stay on the ice longer to work with other players on shooting adjustments and other things and with the injured players able to skate), and "a teammate" asked him about it. He said he was pissed Blash was giving Coreau the start instead of him. Guess he felt he should start, especially with Howard injured and Coreau having just been called up. It probably snowballed from that point.

59 minutes ago, chaps80 said:

Holland said something about him not  having a great attitude, and not working hard enough while experiencing the adversity of a down season. Apparantly he was in the backup net during practice and skated off when Coreau did (whoever is designated backup for the upcoming game is supposed to stay on the ice longer to work with other players on shooting adjustments and other things and with the injured players able to skate), and "a teammate" asked him about it. He said he was pissed Blash was giving Coreau the start instead of him. Guess he felt he should start, especially with Howard injured and Coreau having just been called up. It probably snowballed from that point.

He doesnt seem to care much about being traded either. I hope he enjoyed that beach outing with Pavelec. Both are going to have a lot more oppurtunity to soak up rays when they are unemployed. 

It's amazing how many people are ready to throw mrazek under the bus and deal him 

Howard is 33 and done soon, Coreau has shown no signs of being a star goalie ,once Howard's gone in 2 years then what?we have no goalies in the pipeline , we'll be a disaster for 7-10 yrs

the way I see it jeff lash illness is the problem ,he keeps messing mrazek about, he won 2 games recently and back to Coreau we go .. Petr needs 3-5 games to get his confidence going 

nyquist and Tatar are also having horrible years as well

mantha and athanasiou being messed about while guys like sheahan with 0 goals keep playing go is just nonsense 

sproul being benched repeatedly while Ericsson still baffling 

point is Blashill is the main problem in this team , all these baffling moves have caused a lot of down years for a lot of guys mrazek included , he's turning 25 soon and is way too young to just give up on 

we trade mrazek away it might turn out to be a mistake we never recover from 

28 minutes ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

It's amazing how many people are ready to throw mrazek under the bus and deal him 

Howard is 33 and done soon, Coreau has shown no signs of being a star goalie ,once Howard's gone in 2 years then what?we have no goalies in the pipeline , we'll be a disaster for 7-10 yrs

the way I see it jeff lash illness is the problem ,he keeps messing mrazek about, he won 2 games recently and back to Coreau we go .. Petr needs 3-5 games to get his confidence going 

nyquist and Tatar are also having horrible years as well

mantha and athanasiou being messed about while guys like sheahan with 0 goals keep playing go is just nonsense 

sproul being benched repeatedly while Ericsson still baffling 

point is Blashill is the main problem in this team , all these baffling moves have caused a lot of down years for a lot of guys mrazek included , he's turning 25 soon and is way too young to just give up on 

we trade mrazek away it might turn out to be a mistake we never recover from 

I agree, thank God the organization doesn't listen to most of us on here.

Thing that bothers me the most about Petr is his demeanor when his gives up a goal. I'm sure I'm over analyzing this but EVERY time I've seen scored on, there's the standard mask flip, water swig, but the look on his face just says to me, " oh.....what do you know.....another goal.....oh well". He just doesn't seem to care. Like I said, I'm probably reading into this way too much, but I just have some bad joojoo with this guy.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Mrazek hasn't shown signs of being a #1 in almost a full year now.  Hell, he hasn't shown signs of being a quality #2.

Coreau probably isn't the answer either though.  At this point, play Mrazek.  Either he pulls his head out of his ass and plays better or they have a better chance at the #1 pick.  Win-win.

2 hours ago, kickazz said:

They do listen. Mrazek hasn't been a number 1 goalie all season!

They don't 

sheahan has zero goals and continue to play with no consequences , fans begged for mantha  and athanasiou to get more ice time and kept getting shafted 

fans want ericsson benched but still plays, Tatar and nyquist have severe downside seasons and no repercussions

mrazek struggles on an awful team and we forget he's just starting out and turning 25 and ready to trade him 

meanwhile Howard's been underachieving for years ,33 and he plays good for 2 months and we forget all the bad times 

amazing