• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
puckbags

Marchenko Waived

Rate this topic

Didnt see this posted yet but Marchenko has been waived to make room for Smith returning to the lineup. Discuss... ugh.

#RedWings waive Alexey Marchenko to make room for Brendan Smith, when they activate him tomorrow.

11 minutes ago, Jacksoni said:

Allow me to laugh, a dry laugh. This is turning into a parody of sorts. He should Not be waived. I can think of many more suited for that. Geez.

There are lots of other guys I would prefer to be waived but these are also business decisions.  Ericsson can hit the road as far as I'm concerned but someone would pick up him for sure . Lots of contending teams would take a veteran d man who could use a fresh start for a playoff run.  His salary isn't as bad as people think and we would be on the hook for half of it for 3 years. I would rather seem him get traded and then we have no salary to cover.  Wishful thinking. I'm just surprised he's lower on the totem pole than Sproul. 

Edited by puckbags

Jesus Christ is it possible to get an asset for any player ??? 

Yes im well aware he's a third pairing dman , but he's right handed(in demand) and young ....not even a 7th???

We just lost a player to keep smith who will get traded in a few weeks , should of just dealt smith now , wouldn't surprise me at this point to see vanek on waivers 

15 minutes ago, Juklitz said:

He´s not able to make a roster in one of the worst defensive systems in the league. Not going to attract even the most desperate desert mule.

Wouldn't put too much stock into that , this whole team is a mess , we prevented guys like AA and Mantha from playing more, and playing guys like ericssons,sheahan nonstop

along with ouellet marchenko is the only dmen in Detroit with a positive +\- (+6)

Hes not a star but we should of got a 7th rounder. ... 110% he gets claimed due to age 

Players rarely get traded just coming off of IR. Trading Smith wasn't really an option. If he plays well for the next three weeks, he could be a good trading chip at the deadline. As much as everyone would have liked for us to trade / waive Ericsson, that simply wasn't / isn't going to happen, while playing in the top 4... No way we're going to trade / waive an assistant captain, so the only hope in Kronwall coming off this roster is LTIR. DeKeyser isn't going anywhere. Green could have been traded, although maybe the thinking there is his value should increase closer to the deadline. The only other options were Ouellet, Jensen (both clearly ahead in the pecking order, and for good reason), and Sproul. That was my biggest concern, I'm just glad Marchenko was waived in favor of keeping Sproul, who has a much higher potential.

2 hours ago, puckbags said:

There are lots of other guys I would prefer to be waived but these are also business decisions.  Ericsson can hit the road as far as I'm concerned but someone would pick up him for sure . Lots of contending teams would take a veteran d man who could use a fresh start for a playoff run.  His salary isn't as bad as people think and we would be on the hook for half of it for 3 years. I would rather seem him get traded and then we have no salary to cover.  Wishful thinking. I'm just surprised he's lower on the totem pole than Sproul. 

Ericsson has trade value, despite what many folks believe. Sure the Wings will have to retain salary in any deal for him, but as far as assets go, he will bring in more than Marchenko ever could. 

1 hour ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

Jesus Christ is it possible to get an asset for any player ??? 

Yes im well aware he's a third pairing dman , but he's right handed(in demand) and young ....not even a 7th???

We just lost a player to keep smith who will get traded in a few weeks , should of just dealt smith now , wouldn't surprise me at this point to see vanek on waivers 

He isn't worth anything. He has been a healthy scratch on this current roster. He has no potential that is worth anything. He'll be a solid defensive dman at best. Those are a dime a dozen in UFA. No team is going to give up an asset for a dman with such limited potential. Right-handed or not. 

This is a win. I was worried Sproul might be the odd man out. Hopefully, once they realize this team won't sniff the playoffs, they'll give the kid some ice time. 

Edited by marcaractac

Frees up a contract and roster spot good decision.

As for not getting anything in return? What did people expect? Nobody is going to give up anything wortwhile best thing would have been a conditional pick. I think his next stop will be the KHL or a desperate team claims him maybe a change of scenery helps Marchenko, good luck wherever.

2 hours ago, marcaractac said:

Ericsson has trade value, despite what many folks believe. Sure the Wings will have to retain salary in any deal for him, but as far as assets go, he will bring in more than Marchenko ever could. 

He isn't worth anything. He has been a healthy scratch on this current roster. He has no potential that is worth anything. He'll be a solid defensive dman at best. Those are a dime a dozen in UFA. No team is going to give up an asset for a dman with such limited potential. Right-handed or not. 

This is a win. I was worried Sproul might be the odd man out. Hopefully, once they realize this team won't sniff the playoffs, they'll give the kid some ice time. 

He's been a healthy scratch cause we been dumb enough to keep guys like ericsson around and creating a logjam at the back end by delaying progressions off several dmen (Jensen should of had a look last season )

if waste of space kindl can fetch a 6th then marchenko sure as hell can fetch a 7th, I think it says something that he was a +6 on this awful  Team , like you said hes just a good defensive defensemen, but coaches always like those , he sure as hell gets claimed in my opinion

i do agree with you and krsmith that marchenko was the one to lose over ouellet Jensen sproul, I'm happy sproul is around cause he hasn't been given much playing time and has untapped potential 

4 minutes ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

He's been a healthy scratch cause we been dumb enough to keep guys like ericsson around and creating a logjam at the back end by delaying progressions off several dmen (Jensen should of had a look last season )

if waste of space kindl can fetch a 6th then marchenko sure as hell can fetch a 7th, I think it says something that he was a +6 on this awful  Team , like you said hes just a good defensive defensemen, but coaches always like those , he sure as hell gets claimed in my opinion

i do agree with you and krsmith that marchenko was the one to lose over ouellet Jensen sproul, I'm happy sproul is around cause he hasn't been given much playing time and has untapped potential 

Kindl had more tools to his game than Marchenko ever will. The hope with Kindl was that a change of scenery would help him. It didn't. That's why he was worth a draft pick, and Marchenko is not. I also said his ceiling is to become a good defensive defenseman. At this point in his career, he is barely above useless at the NHL level. I wouldn't even be surprised to see him go unclaimed, to be honest.  He's basically another Lashoff. 

He is useless to a contender. He is useless to a rebuilding team, as in no way is Marchenko ever gonna be a piece that a rebuilding team wants. Every summer there are veteran UFAs that can do what he can do, but far better. They also don't cost much. He will make a great career holding that 7th spot on defense. 

Edited by marcaractac

1 minute ago, marcaractac said:

Kindl had more tools to his game than Marchenko ever will. The hope with Kindl was that a change of scenery would help him. It didn't. That's why he was worth a draft pick, and Marchenko is not. I also said his ceiling is to become a good defensive defenseman. At this point in his career, he is barely above useless at the NHL level. I wouldn't even be surprised to see him go unclaimed, to be honest.  He's basically another Lashoff. 

I respectfully disagree with you and am certain he gets claimed and sticks around as 5-7

1 minute ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

I respectfully disagree with you and am certain he gets claimed and sticks around as 5-7

And a player that is basically a spare part on an NHL team has no value in the trade market. If he can't crack this defense, he sure as hell won't crack anyone else's. 

I am certain that if he does get claimed, he will be waived by the team that claims him before the year ends. You can quote me on that. 

15 minutes ago, Mckinley25 said:

Is my memory correct that Marchenko once said he only wanted to play for Detroit and that's why we were able to draft him in the 7th?

Correct. He was highly touted his draft year but was passed on. He told teams he wanted to stay in Russia and then he got injured right before the draft, so no one even bothered to chance a 7th round pick on him. The next year he told Wings scouts he would come to NA if they drafted him.

Was hoping he would be a another 7th round steal for us, but he's slowly projected to be less and less since we drafted him.

Oh well, he was worth a 7th.