• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
puckbags

Marchenko Waived

Rate this topic

2 hours ago, DickieDunn said:

No, what they should do is waive his ass because he has, or at least he should have, no future with the team, while Marchenko and hte other young D potentially do.

Of course I fully expect Hjolland to give him a 3 year, $9 mil extension, because "you just can't lose a guy like that."

I can't argue with a point that is based on pure emotion. The logical thing to do is waive Marchenko a guy with zero value, and trade Smith a guy with some value. But if you want to just waive Smith and give away value to make some stupid point, go for it.

2 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Again, we need to shed at least two defensemen from this roster, so it's more than just Smith (or Marchenko) that needs to go.

Marchenko has never shown any sort of real potential. He will never be anything more than a mediocre bottom pair defenseman at the NHL level. Those guys are a dime a dozen. 

Smith > Marchenko

Ouellet / Sproul / Jensen > Marchenko

Kronwall / even Ericsson > Marchenko

It was the right decision. Marchenko is no loss to this team and if another team sees him as an upgrade to theirs, good for them and good for us.

I'd love for Holmstrom to surprise everyone, but honestly, I just don't see it. I think at best, he becomes a decent bottom 6er, and we have an over abundance of them in our system, just like every team. I'd personally rather see guys like Turgeon, Bertuzzi and Smith make our bottom 6 than Holmstrom...

Time will tell what happens with holmstrom ,itll take years to see what becomes of these guys, we traded for sadowy and turgeon and they might not be anything special either 

had a feeling leafs would claim marchenko when I saw the leafs dcore last night when I looked around + Babcock connection 

anyone know how many teams put in a claim?

Edited by nyqvististhefuture
error

Another winner by Kenny, keep losing players for nothing and the roster gets fuller with over the hill vets, I'm glad Marchy got picked up one of a few actual plus players this year, but this roster crunch is all down to Kenny not having the minerals to cut ties with players that need to go. Im afraid he's a dumb captain that's going down with his ship, unless Mr I does what is needed and clears office to start afresh.

7 minutes ago, marcaractac said:

I'm just glad he is gone. It bugged me when he got to play over the likes of Sproul. 

He wasn't competing for a place against Sproul, Sproul has to beat out a top 4 guy which Marchy wasn't. 

9 minutes ago, Andy Pred 48 said:

He wasn't competing for a place against Sproul, Sproul has to beat out a top 4 guy which Marchy wasn't. 

Sounds like coach / GM talk to me. That's bulls***. Sproul could have easily been playing on the 3rd pair getting sheltered minutes with Kronwall or whoever. It wasn't or at least shouldn't have ever been top 4 or bust for him...

21 minutes ago, marcaractac said:

I'm just glad he is gone. It bugged me when he got to play over the likes of Sproul. 

Exactly, his top end potential is very borderline 2nd pairing, most likely 3rd pairing guy. Hope he does well.  

It's funny how different organizations value players.  Leafs think he's an upgrade over anyone on their 3rd pairing. Wings don't think he's good enough to be top 6. I think we are at 46/50 contracts now which would be great if we had cap space. 

Holland gambled and lost. He said he wouldn't get rid of a young player unless something he needed was coming back. I understand he probably couldn't get much for Marchenko, but put him in a package with Ericsson or Nyquist, maybe a deal gets done. But, no, another player gone for free. I can think of three players on D that could've and should've been gone before Marchy.

11 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Sounds like coach / GM talk to me. That's bulls***. Sproul could have easily been playing on the 3rd pair getting sheltered minutes with Kronwall or whoever. It wasn't or at least shouldn't have ever been top 4 or bust for him...

Sproul should be playing over kronwall,Ericsson,smith ... Marchenko could have as well 

this is why I always said to bring in a few guys at a time rather than everyone in one shot , Ken holland is the one that created this  Gigantic mess , by extending Ericsson and not bringing jensen and ouellet in Sooner

What I find interesting that I haven't seen discussed yet is, who's sitting tonight? Smith is obviously being inserted back in, but who's the odd man out? We all hope it would be Ericsson, but is Blashill capable of such a "bold" move? It obviously won't be DeKeyser or Green, it shouldn't be Ouellet, I hope it's not Jensen, so it would have to be either Kronwall or Ericsson... I'd love to see both scratched and roll with something like...

Ouellet - Green

DeKeyser - Jensen

Smith - Sproul

Unfortunately, that's not going to happen though, because Blashill...

EDIT: Nevermind, Kronwall and Nielsen out (injured), Smith and Jurco in.

Edited by krsmith17

Smith doesn't have any less value now coming off the injury than he will after another couple more weeks of bonehead play.  They might get a 6th rounder for him if they're lucky.  With that 6th rounder, they'll be lucky to get a guy as good as Marchenko, because that's about how often 6th and 7th round picks become bottom end NHL players.

If Babcock picked him up, and he would have the final say for anything coming from Detroit, I'd say Marchenko wasn't picked up for being a third pairing defensive defenseman. There are too many of those, most likely already in the Marlies (their AHL club) ready to move up.

I suspect he was picked up being projected as a right handed second pairing defensive defenseman or at worst a third pairing, for free.

14 hours ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

5points????? Christ I didn't even realize he was that bad this year 

Yeah haha. He really needs to hang em up, but he won't. Still has double digit millions left on his contract, and doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who would voluntarily stop playing. It's gonna take an injury he can't come back from for him not to play anymore. Only way the Wings will get permanent cap relief for the next two seasons with him is LTIRetirement.

53 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Giving away 25 year old RH Dmen to the Leafs and some of you are happy about it. This is a weird year.

11 minutes ago, Wheelchairsuperhero said:

I'm not happy we lost a young D for nothing, I'm just not mad either. 

I'm happy, only because there were much better players behind him on the pecking order. We're one player closer to seeing what a player like Russo can bring to the table. We know what we had in Marchenko and it was a bottom pairing guy at best. Russo (as well as others) could develop into top 4 guys, and I'd bet anything they'll be better in the NHL than Marchenko ever was / will be...

2 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Leafs claim Marchenko.

HAHAHAHA!!

Kenny ditches him and Lou and Babs snag him. If Babs wanted him, having coached him before, he knows there's something there. If he thought he was completely worthless, he wouldn't have even given it a thought.

Just imagine he becomes a permanent fixture of the Leafs blueline or something after Babs is done with him. Haha I bet Marchenko's happy to be free of Kenny and Blash and going to a team on the rise where he probably won't be a healthy scratch in favour or broken down and/or useless vets cause loyalty.  Holland looks more and more incompetent every ******* day.

1 minute ago, chaps80 said:

HAHAHAHA!!

Kenny ditches him and Lou and Babs snag him. If Babs wanted him, having coached him before, he knows there's something there. If he thought he was completely worthless, he wouldn't have even given it a thought.

Just imagine he becomes a permanent fixture of the Leafs blueline or something after Babs is done with him. Haha I bet Marchenko's happy to be free of Kenny and Blash and going to a team on the rise where he probably won't be a healthy scratch in favour or broken down and/or useless vets cause loyalty.  Holland looks more and more incompetent every ******* day.

Most likely he got claimed because the Leafs defense isn't very good.