• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
puckbags

Marchenko Waived

Rate this topic

15 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

I'm happy, only because there were much better players behind him on the pecking order. We're one player closer to seeing what a player like Russo can bring to the table. We know what we had in Marchenko and it was a bottom pairing guy at best. Russo (as well as others) could develop into top 4 guys, and I'd bet anything they'll be better in the NHL than Marchenko ever was / will be...

I mean, you're just assuming though. 

3 minutes ago, kickazz said:

I mean, you're just assuming though. 

Well yeah, hence the reason I said "could develop" and "I'd bet"... Same as people "assuming" because Babcock wanted him, he must be good and he'll develop into a top 4 guy...

I think Marchenko sucks and I don't see any potential in him becoming anything better than an Ericsson type. I'm sure some would have rathered we lose Jurco, but the difference there is, Jurco actually does have potential and a change of scenery may actually be what that kid needs... Playing in Toronto under Babcock, Marchenko won't be any better than he was for us, and that's a borderline NHLer...

5 minutes ago, DatsyukianDekes said:

Most likely he got claimed because the Leafs defense isn't very good.

And the Wings is? The Leafs have 3-4 defencemen with over 10 points. Gardiner with 23, Zaitsev with 21, Reilly with 17, Hunwick with 11. The Wings have 1. Green with 24 points. Errorsson is second with 9.

And if Green is gone at the deadline, scary s***.

6 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

If it were only that easy...I am with you 100%!!! But we know Sproul and Jensen will be scratched for Kringwall and Erection...

That is the absolute sad truth. Kronwall could need a walker to move and Blash would put him out there.

I honestly think Green will be kept.  I can't see anyone offering more than a 3rd for him, and unless Ken is crazy, he probably won't jump on that....BUT, I do see him opting to keep Erection over Green, for reason way beyond my realm of understanding.  I still maintain, the best thing to do is if E is not drafted by Vegas is to buy him out.  The hit is minimal and the open roster spot is monumental!

BTW, Kenny, we said SELL not give away for free! Anyhow, I didn't think Marchy had a spot here, and I'm a Jensen, Sproul and XO fan first, so I am not surprised, but am glad he found a place to play. I wish I was a fly on the wall of the Leaf room listening to Marchy talk about Blashill...

You all do realize that with Marchy's departure, we no longer have a Russian on this team...which is ironic because when Fedorov first played here, it was the start of The Streak. Plus the fact that the Red Wings pretty much put Russian NHL players on the map and opened the floodgates that caused all other teams to look to Russia at the draft...end of an era.

I know Svech is in the minors, and should make the club soon, but at the moment, no Russian's on the Detroit squad...

3 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

I honestly think Green will be kept.  I can't see anyone offering more than a 3rd for him, and unless Ken is crazy, he probably won't jump on that....BUT, I do see him opting to keep Erection over Green, for reason way beyond my realm of understanding.  I still maintain, the best thing to do is if E is not drafted by Vegas is to buy him out.  The hit is minimal and the open roster spot is monumental!

BTW, Kenny, we said SELL not give away for free! Anyhow, I didn't think Marchy had a spot here, and I'm a Jensen, Sproul and XO fan first, so I am not surprised, but am glad he found a place to play. I wish I was a fly on the wall of the Leaf room listening to Marchy talk about Blashill...

Yeah, I figure Kenny would like to hang on to Green unless an offer comes in that he can't refuse. If he makes it known he's shopping Green at the deadline, he'll get tons of interest from contenders looking to solidify their D before the playoffs. He may end up getting offered something great. Never know.

1 hour ago, krsmith17 said:

Well yeah, hence the reason I said "could develop" and "I'd bet"... Same as people "assuming" because Babcock wanted him, he must be good and he'll develop into a top 4 guy...

I think Marchenko sucks and I don't see any potential in him becoming anything better than an Ericsson type. I'm sure some would have rathered we lose Jurco, but the difference there is, Jurco actually does have potential and a change of scenery may actually be what that kid needs... Playing in Toronto under Babcock, Marchenko won't be any better than he was for us, and that's a borderline NHLer...

I think there's inherent bias in your post. Both Jurco and Marchenko are similar in age yet somehow you ruled Marchenko out and think he sucks but with Jurco you're saying he "does have potential" as if it's a fact. We don't know if that's a fact. Just like we don't know how Marchenko will do under Babcock. For all we know Jurco could end up in Europe in 2 years. A lot of the knowledgeable posters (at least 3-4 of them) here thought Pulkinnen would be a stud, moreso because they we're rooting for him to be rather than actually looking at it critically. That troll number9 always said the "one-trick pony" wouldn't go far. I wonder what he thinks now as he watches this forum as a banned member :bye: (Side tracked there for a bit) 

Edited by kickazz

2 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Giving away 25 year old RH Dmen to the Leafs and some of you are happy about it. This is a weird year.

You are aware that we have right handed d men right? Green is right handed, Jensen right handed, Sproul right handed.  Stop using that as  an excuse to make it sound like he had any value. His value was minimal, we had to put a guy on waivers. He was the guy, didn't work out. Stop over valuing marginal players.  This has happend 5-6 times in the last 10 years and none of these waiver guys has ever panned out.  

10 minutes ago, kickazz said:

I think there's inherent bias in your post. Both Jurco and Marchenko are similar in age yet somehow you ruled Marchenko out and think he sucks but with Jurco you're saying he "does have potential" as if it's a fact. We don't know if that's a fact. Just like we don't know how Marchenko will do under Babcock. For all we know Jurco could end up in Europe in 2 years. A lot of the knowledgeable posters (at least 3-4 of them) here thought Pulkinnen would be a stud, moreso because they we're rooting for him to be rather than actually looking at it critically. That troll number9 always said the "one-trick pony" wouldn't go far. I wonder what he thinks now as he watches this forum as a banned member :bye: (Side tracked there for a bit) 

I think Lois Lane's boyfriend's appendages may have a similar opinion.... :ninja:

Someone had to go, he wasn't getting playing time, obviously Holland/Blashill thinks more of Smith than Marchenko.  Which doesn't bode well for those of us hoping to see an end to Ericsson or Nyquist/Tatar...

57 minutes ago, chaps80 said:

And the Wings is? The Leafs have 3-4 defencemen with over 10 points. Gardiner with 23, Zaitsev with 21, Reilly with 17, Hunwick with 11. The Wings have 1. Green with 24 points. Errorsson is second with 9.

And if Green is gone at the deadline, scary s***.

I don't care about points. Ericsson may have 9 points but they don't help as he scored 11 own goals. But other than that, you're right. If their defense is crap, ours isn't even a joke. Kronwall has health issues and declined rapidly, Jensen is AHL material, Ericsson and Sproul are even worse. The only good ones we have are DeKeyser and Green. I hated to get Green for the kind of money he gets, but man...what would he do without him? He was always crap defensively when playing for the Caps...he's been really good for us.

Marchenko doesn't do much offensively but at least he always played solid minutes. Our defensemen, except DeKeyser, Green and at times Ouellet, can't even play solid hockey and are nothing but turnover machines.

Let's look at this as a headline and tell me what you think then. 

Wings trade Alexi Marchenko for three month rental of Defensemen Brendan Smith.

Just so sick of Holland and the excuses of how it's so hard to get your team better.  It just needs to end.

Just now, LeftWinger said:

I think Lois Lane's boyfriend's appendages may have a similar opinion.... :ninja:

Someone had to go, he wasn't getting playing time, obviously Holland/Blashill thinks more of Smith than Marchenko.  Which doesn't bode well for those of us hoping to see an end to Ericsson or Nyquist/Tatar...

I'm not going to defend E's play for a second, he's so inconsistent it drives me crazy but he has some value come trade deadline.  He's a veteran, good teammate, big body, played for a great organzation and has played well at various times in his career. I would much rather find some team who is desperate try to trade for him and get something for him. . You may disagree but his value is higher than that of Marchenko's and he happened to be the odd man out. The 3 NHL ready young d men we have ( Jensen, Ouelette, Sproul ) are going to get a chance to play whether we are winning or not unless Holland is able to pull of some deadline moves to bring in a d man ( not holding my breath) . There is no one else in the organization in my opinion that is NHL ready.  Onward...

9 minutes ago, poel said:

I don't care about points. Ericsson may have 9 points but they don't help as he scored 11 own goals. But other than that, you're right. If their defense is crap, ours isn't even a joke. Kronwall has health issues and declined rapidly, Jensen is AHL material, Ericsson and Sproul are even worse. The only good ones we have are DeKeyser and Green. I hated to get Green for the kind of money he gets, but man...what would he do without him? He was always crap defensively when playing for the Caps...he's been really good for us.

Marchenko doesn't do much offensively but at least he always played solid minutes. Our defensemen, except DeKeyser, Green and at times Ouellet, can't even play solid hockey and are nothing but turnover machines.

Have you been watching the games? Jensen has arguably been our best d man in the last 10 games which is exactly why they choose to keep him up after 9 games rather than send him down.  At this moment I would play Jensen over DK in any situation. DK has been a bit better lately but has regressed so much this year. 

Just now, puckbags said:

I'm not going to defend E's play for a second, he's so inconsistent it drives me crazy but he has some value come trade deadline.  He's a veteran, good teammate, big body, played for a great organzation and has played well at various times in his career. I would much rather find some team who is desperate try to trade for him and get something for him. . You may disagree but his value is higher than that of Marchenko's and he happened to be the odd man out. The 3 NHL ready young d men we have ( Jensen, Ouelette, Sproul ) are going to get a chance to play whether we are winning or not unless Holland is able to pull of some deadline moves to bring in a d man ( not holding my breath) . There is no one else in the organization in my opinion that is NHL ready.  Onward...

I agree, I am sure Holland would've rather traded him, I am sure there wasn't many teams asking about him though.  I just think he was hoping he would clear.  I certainly hope E has trade value, because we need to trim fat. I would like to think someone would take a gamble on him for a playoff run.  Sadly, since he has two more season's left on that contract it makes him nearly impossible to trade outright.  Now if he were a UFA come july? He'd be gone soon!

Nah, who am I kidding, he would be extended a new 4 year deal by now...

1 minute ago, puckbags said:

Have you been watching the games? Jensen has arguably been our best d man in the last 10 games which is exactly why they choose to keep him up after 9 games rather than send him down.  At this moment I would play Jensen over DK in any situation. DK has been a bit better lately but has regressed so much this year. 

Jensen is playing 3rd pairing minutes. All other defenders get more defensive zone starts and harder competition.

He's still with the Wings because we don't have a better option. Sproul and Ericsson are below terrible.

2 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

I agree, I am sure Holland would've rather traded him, I am sure there wasn't many teams asking about him though.  I just think he was hoping he would clear.  I certainly hope E has trade value, because we need to trim fat. I would like to think someone would take a gamble on him for a playoff run.  Sadly, since he has two more season's left on that contract it makes him nearly impossible to trade outright.  Now if he were a UFA come july? He'd be gone soon!

Nah, who am I kidding, he would be extended a new 4 year deal by now...

The fact that any of us are sitting here arguing/discussing Marchenko and Ericsson is pretty comical. 

You're right, he's gone and E is here. He wasn't waiving E, because if nobody claimed him, we'd only see minimal cap relief. Its a business...I only hope E has value enough to get a new home this month...along with a few others.

I will pack his bags and drive him to the airport.  We could start a gofundme page to pay for his plane ticket. 

3 minutes ago, puckbags said:

I will pack his bags and drive him to the airport.  We could start a gofundme page to pay for his plane ticket. 

I'm thinking he can afford a ticket, but we could start the gofundme to raise money to bribe a team to take him off our hands!

I'm thinking he can afford a ticket, but we could start the gofundme to raise money to bribe a team to take him off our hands!

I was doing it more as a " thanks for the memories" type gift from LGW but I like the bribery option too