• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
toby91_ca

Avalanche

Rate this topic

I knew they were having a very bad year, but never looked at it too closely until today, not sure why, but I pulled up the standings.  The first thing that jumped out at me is their goal differential (-69).  Anyway, anyone else paying much attention to them right now?  I couldn't help it, I had to go back and look at prior years and the Avalanche are currently on pace to have the worst year since Atlanta's expansion year (1999-2000).  They are on pace for 50 pts and -115 goal differential.  Buffalo came close to that bad, but not quite there.

And it's not like they don't have good offensive players either.. Weird. 

Our best player has more points than all of their best players. 

Their goalies aren't doing so hot either. 

Edited by kickazz

It´s told (from reliable source) there´re major issues in locker room with guys like Duchene or MacKinnon. The team is falling apart. Seems like these will be traded, sooner than later. Avs to rub the bottom couple next years. 

It's just insane, MacKinnon, Landeskog, Duchene, Barrie and they still can't get on a winning streak. Either there are some serious locker room issues going on or this team is just badly constructed, which would look bad for Sakic. Getting rid off ROR was such a huge mistake.

Looking back at it it's almost comical what has happened to the Wings and Avs since they've had this great rivalry both are a shadow of their former self.

They are pretty bad this season. Granted, their PDO with  0.966 is also abysmal, so they are not exactly lucky. But they are not far away from Boston in that regard and the Bruins are fighting for a playoff spot.

If we can unload Ericssons contract: Get it done Kenny, even for a bag of used pucks.

1 hour ago, frankgrimes said:

It's just insane, MacKinnon, Landeskog, Duchene, Barrie and they still can't get on a winning streak. Either there are some serious locker room issues going on or this team is just badly constructed, which would look bad for Sakic. Getting rid off ROR was such a huge mistake.

Looking back at it it's almost comical what has happened to the Wings and Avs since they've had this great rivalry both are a shadow of their former self.

The Avs haven't really been good since we KO'd them in 2002 run game 7. They had a couple more playoff early runs but that game 7 loss against us ended their short lived dynasty. Ours on the other hand kept going for another decade. 

53 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

If the rumors are true, Iginla will go to a contender. Bruins want Landeskog and Nashville wants Duchene.

I've heard Landeskog in Ottawa and Duchene in Montreal... but that's just Canadian media...

I'm sure a lot of teams might want Duchene or Landeskog...but who has what Sakic wants? A similar aged top 4 guy, first round pick and a good prospect? That's a lot to pay. Boston can't afford to trade defense

Maybe the Avs are going to build around MacKinnon as their new leader

6 hours ago, toby91_ca said:

I knew they were having a very bad year, but never looked at it too closely until today, not sure why, but I pulled up the standings.  The first thing that jumped out at me is their goal differential (-69).  Anyway, anyone else paying much attention to them right now?  I couldn't help it, I had to go back and look at prior years and the Avalanche are currently on pace to have the worst year since Atlanta's expansion year (1999-2000).  They are on pace for 50 pts and -115 goal differential.  Buffalo came close to that bad, but not quite there.

isn't it nice seeing colorado sucks and knowing it's no one else but roy who screwed them big time

I hope this situation along with the situation the Oilers were in pre McDavid shows people how just getting a few top 5 picks guarantees nothing. The key is acquiring young top talent, molding said talent, and then finding the right mix of kids/vets to get you to that next level.

With the exception of the one year Roy won Coach of the Year, this organization has been a joke for a while now.

10 hours ago, kickazz said:

Their goalies aren't doing so hot either. 

Nope. Varlamov had his worst season ever. He and the team decided he should go for needed season ending surgery not too long ago since their season is already over. Pickard is a good young goalie, but he's getting lit up bad too, and no relief in sight. All in on the number 1 pick now. 14-33-2 so far this season. Wow. And we think the Wings suck. Lol

3 hours ago, kliq said:

I hope this situation along with the situation the Oilers were in pre McDavid shows people how just getting a few top 5 picks guarantees nothing. The key is acquiring young top talent, molding said talent, and then finding the right mix of kids/vets to get you to that next level.

With the exception of the one year Roy won Coach of the Year, this organization has been a joke for a while now.

Well, the Oilers were horrible even with Hall, Yak, Nuge, Eberle, Draisatil etc. because the management and coaching wasn't there. Once the 80's dynasty club was given the boot things began to turn around. They also had no defence and goaltending, and now they've rectified the goaltending, and the D is better. I still think they got ripped in the Hall/Larsson trade though. Hall was their top player ever since his rookie season, good for 60-80 points a year when he's healthy. Imagine if they had him and McDavid? I know they shopped Nuge and Yak for D help, but no team wanted them considering  Yak was a bust who didn't even benefit from a change of scenery (6 points 31 games in STL), and Nuge underperforms for a guy with a $6 million a year deal. Hall was the only way to get a deal done.

Either way, that team is starting to look scary with everything finally together and clicking. If they can get a couple more solid Dmen, they will be the next Chicago and have a couple cups soon enough after decades of futility

9 hours ago, kickazz said:

The Avs haven't really been good since we KO'd them in 2002 run game 7. They had a couple more playoff early runs but that game 7 loss against us ended their short lived dynasty. Ours on the other hand kept going for another decade. 

No.  The Chris Drury and Stephane Yelle traded ended their dynasty.  

Especially, with Forsberg's injuries and Drury's solid play in Buffalo a few years later.  He was a very clutch player.  Yelle was probably the best 4th line center in the league.  They traded those two guys for Dean McAmmond, Jeff Shantz and Derek Morris.  

I guess you could say Roy's retirement hurt them also, but by that time, big name goalies weren't important anymore.

Here's the sad...while I enjoy seeing our once great rival stinking, but this is all Uncle Gary's fault. This is what he wanted with league parity. He wanted to justify teams in non nhl cities by taking away from the diehard 100 year fans over generations in Hockey hotbeds.its sad to see teams like Detroit, Colorado and New Jersey scraping the bottom directly because of Bettman. Las Vegas will no doubtedly finish higher than all of us next season. I know some older teams are excelling, but it's sad to see some of the once great teams and dynasties struggle to even look like a nhl team.

16 minutes ago, GMRwings1983 said:

No.  The Chris Drury and Stephane Yelle traded ended their dynasty.  

Wasn't Yelle the guy who scored the Game 6 OT goal to eliminate the Wings in the second round during Calgary's run to the 2004 Finals? Hatcher just standing around letting him put it in the empty net with Joseph out of position. That one hurt.

2 minutes ago, chaps80 said:

Wasn't Yelle the guy who scored the Game 6 OT goal to eliminate the Wings in the second round during Calgary's run to the 2004 Finals? Hatcher just standing around letting him put it in the empty net with Joseph out of position. That one hurt.

No, that was Gelinas.  He scored the GWG in every series that year.  Including the one in the Finals that didn't count.  

Edited by GMRwings1983

5 minutes ago, GMRwings1983 said:

No, that was Gelinas.  He scored the GWG in every series that year.  Including the one in the Finals that didn't count.  

Ahh yeah it was. I remember going to visit a friend in Calgary during the Conference and Cup Finals that year. Place was insane. The main strip downtown was blocked off most nights for one massive party. 

30 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Here's the sad...while I enjoy seeing our once great rival stinking, but this is all Uncle Gary's fault. This is what he wanted with league parity. He wanted to justify teams in non nhl cities by taking away from the diehard 100 year fans over generations in Hockey hotbeds.its sad to see teams like Detroit, Colorado and New Jersey scraping the bottom directly because of Bettman. Las Vegas will no doubtedly finish higher than all of us next season. I know some older teams are excelling, but it's sad to see some of the once great teams and dynasties struggle to even look like a nhl team.

Even with the parity that has helped small market teams be competitive, since the cap came into effect during the 2006 season, Original Six and original '67 expansion teams have won nine of the eleven cups. Detroit, Pittsburgh (2), Chicago (3), Boston, and LA (2). The main franchises have mostly remained competitive. it has taken it's toll on the big spenders, but  most them have figured it out (eventually).

1 hour ago, chaps80 said:

Well, the Oilers were horrible even with Hall, Yak, Nuge, Eberle, Draisatil etc. because the management and coaching wasn't there. Once the 80's dynasty club was given the boot things began to turn around. They also had no defence and goaltending, and now they've rectified the goaltending, and the D is better. I still think they got ripped in the Hall/Larsson trade though. Hall was their top player ever since his rookie season, good for 60-80 points a year when he's healthy. Imagine if they had him and McDavid? I know they shopped Nuge and Yak for D help, but no team wanted them considering  Yak was a bust who didn't even benefit from a change of scenery (6 points 31 games in STL), and Nuge underperforms for a guy with a $6 million a year deal. Hall was the only way to get a deal done.

Either way, that team is starting to look scary with everything finally together and clicking. If they can get a couple more solid Dmen, they will be the next Chicago and have a couple cups soon enough after decades of futility

Take McDavid off this team, then you also loose Lucic, and who know's who else. You can say the 80's players being removed played a huge part, and they may have but and the end of the day put McDavid on any NHL team and they will significantly go up a few notches.