• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockeytown0001

Bruins fire Claude Julien

Rate this topic

Julien, Hitchcock, Gallant, and a few other coaches are unemployed, but Kenny sticks with Blashill. Guess that AHL title deserves some good ol Holland loyalty, even though the NHL is a much different league and he's obviously in over his head. Any other coach would have been canned by now with how he grasps at straws with bizarre line mixups and flip flopping goalies hoping it works because he has no idea what he's doing.

16 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Well cant say Holland doesnt have options

No, but we also can't say he'll explore those options lol

I fully expect Blashill to be back behind the bench to open LCA. Holland hasn't even hinted that he is unhappy with him yet.

Julien, Gallant, Hitchcock are available +/- Tippet and this is a great quartett of 4 guys with experience who all will command respect from the get-go.

I think Holland knows if he fires Blashill and things aren't going to turn around, the next shoe to drop will be his - firing Blashill means he made a mistake by not interviewing other guys because he just promoted from within - and the non pressure of just hanging on will be over, so for sure he won't do anything like that. This to me is a situation in which ownership has to step in and at least bring one of them in as an assitant coach or advisor.

Also Boston made a mistake they've tried to change their style (for no good reason!) and expected different players to work under Julien? Their defense basically is a 40 old Chara plus a young inexperienced guy in Carlo..trading away Seguin, Loooooch and Hamilton was and always will be a mistake from Chiarelli and whoever their new GM is (Sweeni?)

2 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

It's amazing...I want to work for The Wings, I could perform my job to the least of their expectations and never get fired. Talk about job security! 

Hey. LW, we know you're the worst [insert job title] we've ever had, but dammit, here's a raise and an extension! 

Amazing isn't it? if my boss told me to finish the contract and I tell him "well I might phone around and kick some tires maybe...I'll do nothing" the next phone-call will involve 3 words "you are fired" and deservingly so.

Edited by frankgrimes

Not a surprise but still a weird move. Julien is a proven NHL-caliber coach and the Bruins are still well into the playoff race and if they make them who knows ?

I get that "message go stale" argument but there are many more reasons to the Bruins decline other than coaching. Looks like Sweeny needs a scapegoat. All the better for us. Maybe we can grab him.

Teams usually play with a spark immediately after a new coach is brought in.  Whether it lasts remains to be seen.  If Holland only cares about this streak, he will fire Blashill to get that spark winning streak. 

BTW, nobody in Boston knows this happened as they have a parade today for those other ass****s in town.  

I want to believe in Blashill.  None of these unemployed coaches intrigue me that much to replace him.  BUT.  Not one of our players is having a career year.  Not one is even having a really good year.  Mike Green is doing well.  Vanek and Neilson are doing pretty much what should have been expected of them. Zett is doing as well as can be expected but is on the downside of his career.   Mantha is doing well but its his first year and nothing to compare to.  Our young guys don't seem to be responding to him.  Larkin has regressed.  Andres seems to fallen out of favour somewhat. That cant be doing much for his confidence.  Mrazek has been highly erratic.  Marchenko was cut after some promise.  Sproul needs to play but it doesn't look like it will happen.  Abby has been invisible.  Nyquist, Tatar, and Dekeyser  are having down years.  None of the young ones seem to be responding to Blashill and the system.  That worries me a bit.

20 minutes ago, F.Michael said:

As others have mentioned - there's 3 guys available who are leaps, and bounds better than Blashill, and you're right - most teams usually pick up their play, and perform better with a new coach.

If Holland does care about the streak - he'd better make some calls.

What about your boy Mike Keenan?  Is he still employed in Russia?  

Loyalty has crippled this team and will continue to do so until Holland is gone. He doesn't run this team like a business. He runs it like a beer league team. Get a group of guys that you know and enjoy being around and keep them around as long as possible, even if they can't perform on the ice/behind the bench, because you need someone to drink with after you lose every game.

Serious question.  Would Julien want to coach the Wings even as early as next season?  The guy just lost a job he had for a long time.  And Boston plays in the same division as Detroit.  This is different than Boudreau being hired by the Ducks hours after Washington fired him.  

This is so much easier in Japan, where honor comes first.  Blashill would have resigned by now without even needing to be asked. Don't even get me started on what Holland would do.

Edited by GMRwings1983

2 hours ago, derblaueClaus said:

I get that "message go stale" argument but there are many more reasons to the Bruins decline other than coaching.

I think it's entirely possible the message had gotten stale, that he'd lost the locker room. But, yeah, I'd say the Bruins' front office is responsible for the team's decent into mediocrity. They've made so many questionable moves over the past few years, going all the way back to the decision to move Seguin.

7 minutes ago, GMRwings1983 said:

Serious question.  Would Julien want to coach the Wings even as early as next season?  The guy just lost a job he had for a long time.  And Boston plays in the same division as Detroit.  This is different than Boudreau being hired by the Ducks hours after Washington fired him.  

This is so much easier in Japan, where honor comes first.  Blashill would have resigned by now without even needing to be asked. Don't even get me started on what Holland would do.

Cool swords, bad hockey.

I don't see it as a problem even a little. That's business. Babs went to the Leafs. Bowman's went to the Hawks. Bought time we started luring in divisional rival talent.

2 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Cool swords, bad hockey.

I don't see it as a problem even a little. That's business. Babs went to the Leafs. Bowman's went to the Hawks. Bought time we started luring in divisional rival talent.

But Babcock is Canadian and always wanted to coach the Leafs and prove how smart he is by turning around a crappy franchise.  I've always gotten the impression Julien doesn't like the Wings from our meetings with them (not sure why since we usually lost).    

Also, let's face it, Detroit is not a place that should attract accomplished coaches.  The Wings lack star power, have limited cap space, have numerous terrible contracts saddling the team, and the ownership is obsessed with another team in the city.  If I'm a hockey coach looking for a job, Detroit is nowhere near my list of places I'd want to be.    

20 minutes ago, GMRwings1983 said:

There's also the fact that we suck and are about to embark on what will probably be a long and painful rebuild. Mediocre though the Bruins may now be, the Wings don't have a Bergeron or a Marchand or a Rask. And, of course, should Ken Holland remain GM past this season (incredibly likely), you're going to have to be prepared to fall in line with The Red Wings Way. Holland gets two votes, Mike "Best coach in hockey" Babcock gets one.

EDIT: Ah, didn't see your latest reply.

Edited by Dabura

Yes but, with the right coach, the star power can be there.... Larkin used correctly, AA used correctly, Mantha used correctly, Kronwall and Ericsson OUT! Nyquist 4th line or pressbox...pick a damn goalie and maybe we can get some s*** turned in the right direction without tanking or breaking the streak!