• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
hillbillywingsfan

Mike Ilitch passes away at age 87

Rate this topic

He was a great owner! Always gave the fans what we wanted. He got the big name superstars! Hasek. Hull. Luc. To name a few. He will be missed. Shame he will not be able to see the new arena. It should be renamed in his honor!

They were just talking about the name on the radio. They were saying how they are not going to change it, because that is not what Mike Ilitch wanted. The said (Dan Leach and Dennis Fithian) that wanted the arena named after the company he personally built from scratch. I didnt love the name, but if that's what he wanted, who am I to say otherwise.

RIP, sad that having team owners like this are a bit of a thing of the past.  Franchises are worth so much money, unless someone has owned the team forever (or in the family), ownership is usually going to be corporate backed or a large group of investors.  Mr. I. bought the Wings for $8 million.

6 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Didn't even get to see his arena finished :unsure:

RIP Mr. Ilitch, you were the illest owner in all of sport

Exactly what I thought when I saw an article about his passing. Mere months from seeing it finished. Damn. He will miss the franchise rebuild though. Something i'm sure he never wanted to see.

RIP Mr. I. Thanks for making the Wings respectable again, eventually breaking the 40-plus year Cup drought, and making sure the team remained contenders and champions for many seasons after. And thank you for the countless amazing moments we all witnessed and will remember forever.

RIP to one of the best owners we could have hoped for around here, a great businessman and leader. Shame he won't get to see that beautiful new arena.

I wonder what this means for the direction of the team moving forward though. Afterall he was fairly involves still wasn't he?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk... ignore the typos!

I'm older than most of you and I can't name a single business person who came close let alone did more for Detroit sports and the city itself. From so many accounts he went beyond being an owner to being a good person. Taking care of players and families with awful injuries or illness (Vladimir, Fischer, Bownan when his son was ill and more) to finding a new home and paying for some of it for Rosa Parks. So, while many are remembered for their business resume, he has that as well as a eulogy resume. Something to aspire to no?

On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 7:05 PM, LeftWinger said:

Words cannot describe...

Little rumors floating around Tigers may be sold to Gilbert and focus to remain on Wings...

It's funny what you see in pics when you really look at them...look at the guy just over Mike's shoulder and the look on his face... :lol:

Edited by LeftWinger

Quote from Steve Yzerman: 

"Both Mr. and Mrs. Ilitch, as well as their entire family, have had an immeasurable impact on not only my career, but my life," Yzerman said in a statement. "Going back to the age of 18 when I arrived in Detroit, the guidance, generosity, concern and love Mr, Ilitch had always shown me and my family are things I will forever be grateful for.

“I was extremely fortunate to have played my entire career for a man who's love of hockey and burning desire to win were the catalysts which drove the Detroit Red Wings to four Stanley Cup Championships after purchasing the team in 1982.

“Mr. Ilitch has left an incredible legacy in baseball, hockey and Metropolitan Detroit. He will forever be 
remembered for all the ways he enriched our lives.  Mike Ilitch will live on vividly in my mind and heart forever.”