• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
LeftWinger

Push For The Playoffs

Rate this topic

With the passing of Ilitch, what better reason to make a push now for the playoffs?

I was on the sell bandwagon, and I'd still like to trim some of the fat, but what better way to honor Mike than to make a hard push for that playoff spot to extend his streak?

They are still only 5 points behind the final wildcard, and its not out of the question that they catch them.   Sure there are other teams ahead of them that are also vying for that final spot, 8 teams, in fact, are within 5 points or less of the playoffs. It's a giant task yes, but with a little bit extra player motivation and push from the management (and yes that could mean acquiring someone that may help us get that spot) why not keep it alive?  I understand it means a lower draft pick, but we'd still get someone good (possible Hague, Foote, Tippet?)

I just don't like the idea of now missing the playoffs and not only staining the Joe in it's final season, but putting a stain on the legacy of Mike Ilitch.  He bought the team out of the playoffs, lets not let his final year as owner end with no playoffs, after everything he has built this franchise in to! Don't let his last memory of his team missing the playoffs. He loved the streak, in his honor, IMO, the streak needs to continue. It may not happen, but I think they must get that extra motivation and win one (make the show) for Mike.

I say let's see what players are available. Could we acquire a goalie? D? Another Scorer? Time to see who may be available! Time to hit the rumor sites!

34 minutes ago, toby91_ca said:

Slight change, I think they are 6 pts behind, not 5.  It's possible, but I think the biggest roadblock is the 8 teams they'd have to pass.

Eastern W L OL PTS
Atlantic
MTL 31 17 8 70
OTT 28 18 6 62
TOR 25 17 11 61
BOS 27 23 6 60
FLA 23 20 10 56
TBL 24 24 7 55
BUF 22 22 10 54
DET 22 22 10 54
Metropolitan
WSH 38 11 6 82
PIT 34 13 6 74
CBJ 34 14 5 73
NYR 35 18 1 71
PHI 26 22 7 59
NYI 24 18 10 58
NJD 23 21 10 56
CAR 24 21 7 55

This is the latest from hockey-referrence.com. You are right, I see that BOS has 1 point up on PHL for the last wildcard.  So ya, 6 points and 8 teams to catch and pass. Thanks!

But really, there cannot be a bigger motivator than your owner's death.  Not saying that it will propel them into 26 years, but if it doesn't motivate you to push that much harder and longer, even if it hurts, to do it for his legacy and his memory, then I don't what else can motivate them to make it to the playoffs.  This should also be Holland's new motivation and he should also be kicking those tires a hell of a lot harder.

According to the website Money Puck, the Red Wings have a 5.1% chance of making the playoffs. Earlier in the week, the Red Wings were feeling “bullish” about a playoff appearance, but the hope was dashed after a 6-3 throttling at the hands of the Washington Capitals. The Detroit News’ Ted Kulfan quoted several players, who feel that with many games left to play, nothing is off the table. Though Detroit is hovering in and out of the Eastern Conference basement, they sit only six points back of the final Wild Card spot and seven points out of third place in the Atlantic.

7 points out of the 3rd spot....I believe a push can be made, maybe we will buy someone...Ben Bishop? We could afford him as a rental...but damn, at what cost? Does Yzerman give us a deal to 1. Get a small return for him, and 2. Be his starting goalie when Stevie takes over The Red Wings.  :ninja: I joke, I joke...

PROJECTED LTIR USED q.svg : $6,308,408
CURRENT CAP SPACE q.svg : $0 (8,304,471 with LTIR relief)
DEADLINE CAP SPACE q.svg : $0 (8,304,471 with LTIR relief)
TODAYS CAP HIT q.svg : $78,057,878
ROSTER SIZE: 22/23
CONTRACTS: 46/50

Edited by LeftWinger

3 hours ago, toby91_ca said:

Slight change, I think they are 6 pts behind, not 5.  It's possible, but I think the biggest roadblock is the 8 teams they'd have to pass.

The biggest road block is our defense.  There's no playoff push with this blue line of AHL players.  All the other teams we're chasing have more talent there.  

7 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

With the passing of Ilitch, what better reason to make a push now for the playoffs?

I was on the sell bandwagon, and I'd still like to trim some of the fat, but what better way to honor Mike than to make a hard push for that playoff spot to extend his streak?

They are still only 5 points behind the final wildcard, and its not out of the question that they catch them.   Sure there are other teams ahead of them that are also vying for that final spot, 8 teams, in fact, are within 5 points or less of the playoffs. It's a giant task yes, but with a little bit extra player motivation and push from the management (and yes that could mean acquiring someone that may help us get that spot) why not keep it alive?  I understand it means a lower draft pick, but we'd still get someone good (possible Hague, Foote, Tippet?)

I just don't like the idea of now missing the playoffs and not only staining the Joe in it's final season, but putting a stain on the legacy of Mike Ilitch.  He bought the team out of the playoffs, lets not let his final year as owner end with no playoffs, after everything he has built this franchise in to! Don't let his last memory of his team missing the playoffs. He loved the streak, in his honor, IMO, the streak needs to continue. It may not happen, but I think they must get that extra motivation and win one (make the show) for Mike.

I say let's see what players are available. Could we acquire a goalie? D? Another Scorer? Time to see who may be available! Time to hit the rumor sites!

I am trying really hard to be with you on this. But Blashill.... he just kills any hope I have at this point. I still think they are just delaying a much needed rebuild... Today is a mix day of personal opinions and thoughts to say the least about this team and where we are at this moment.

Right now I hope we finish the season on a high note, that's all I got.

I know I'm wishing in one hand. If the first game after his death didn't inspire them to play better than they did, then they'll never have any other insipiring reason to push. Yesterday's game should've been the best game they've played all year. Outside of a few players, we are really that bad. 

Cracks me up that people still think this team has a shot at the playoffs.  As I've been saying since late December, NO CHANCE this team makes the playoffs.  Roster simply not good enough.  I'm still watching the games these days as I enjoy watching young players develop, hopefully we sell off some players, get a decent first overall draft spot, and can look forward to brighter days ahead.

Edited by greenrebellion

1 minute ago, greenrebellion said:

Cracks me up that people still think this team has a shot at the playoffs.  As I've been saying since late December, NO CHANCE this team makes the playoffs.  Roster simply not good enough.  I'm still watching the games these days as I enjoy watching young players develop, hopefully we sell off some players, get a decent first overall draft spot, and can look forward to brighter days ahead.

Saying this teams has "NO CHANCE" at making the playoffs, is just as silly as saying "ITS HAPPENING!". Probability is definitely against the Wings, and personally I think they are not going to make it, but mathematically speaking it can happen. This is not the "optimist", in me, this is just looking at the situation and taking all emotion out, I think the same thing about every single team in the East. Parity in the NHL is crazy now a days, just look at our games, pretty much every game we play is a 1 goal game. If we were as bad as some poster think, we would be blown out every game.

Long story short, any team in the east (especially our division) goes on a 8-2 10 game run, and they are right back in it.

1 hour ago, kliq said:

Saying this teams has "NO CHANCE" at making the playoffs, is just as silly as saying "ITS HAPPENING!". Probability is definitely against the Wings, and personally I think they are not going to make it, but mathematically speaking it can happen. This is not the "optimist", in me, this is just looking at the situation and taking all emotion out, I think the same thing about every single team in the East. Parity in the NHL is crazy now a days, just look at our games, pretty much every game we play is a 1 goal game. If we were as bad as some poster think, we would be blown out every game.

Long story short, any team in the east (especially our division) goes on a 8-2 10 game run, and they are right back in it.

Not silly, this roster literally has a zero % chance of making the playoffs.  Never going to happen.  An 8-2 run wouldn't even get you back into it.  You'd still likely be 3/4 points out of it.  And this team is not capable of an 8-2 run.  Let alone multiple 8-2 runs which would be required to actually get in.

Its this magical thinking that a miracle might occur that will make Holland stand pat at the deadline which would be an abysmal move.

22 minutes ago, greenrebellion said:

Not silly, this roster literally has a zero % chance of making the playoffs.  Never going to happen.  An 8-2 run wouldn't even get you back into it.  You'd still likely be 3/4 points out of it.  And this team is not capable of an 8-2 run.  Let alone multiple 8-2 runs which would be required to actually get in.

Its this magical thinking that a miracle might occur that will make Holland stand pat at the deadline which would be an abysmal move.

I think you need to look up the definition of the word literally. Also, an 8-2 run likely would put us in the playoffs or damn close. As it stands right now we are 8 points out with 2 less games played then Boston. We win those two games and we are 4 out, add in an 8-2 run, and we are likely in.

Do I think that's going to happen, of course not, but I don't believe in hyperbole so you will never see me saying 0% chance. Anyone who says ZERO percent chance is basing their opinion on emotion and is likely just pissed off.

1 hour ago, kliq said:

I think you need to look up the definition of the word literally. Also, an 8-2 run likely would put us in the playoffs or damn close. As it stands right now we are 8 points out with 2 less games played then Boston. We win those two games and we are 4 out, add in an 8-2 run, and we are likely in.

Do I think that's going to happen, of course not, but I don't believe in hyperbole so you will never see me saying 0% chance. Anyone who says ZERO percent chance is basing their opinion on emotion and is likely just pissed off.

Actually, I'm not pissed :).  I'm the one that wrote the big thank you thread a month or two back.  I am very appreciative for what this team has provided over the years.

In any event, maybe its hyperbole.  But you also can't say that there is literally no choice that we get Sydney Crosby in  a trade this year, because theoretically it could happen.  But you don't see all kinds of comments and all kinds of new threads talking about the Wings trading for Crosby.  Why?  Because we don't focus on the highly unrealistic stuff in life.  So maybe I am being ever so slightly too literal, but this board is talking about the playoffs for the last 6 weeks like it is actually still an ongoing realistic possibility.  It's not.

4 hours ago, greenrebellion said:

Actually, I'm not pissed :).  I'm the one that wrote the big thank you thread a month or two back.  I am very appreciative for what this team has provided over the years.

In any event, maybe its hyperbole.  But you also can't say that there is literally no choice that we get Sydney Crosby in  a trade this year, because theoretically it could happen.  But you don't see all kinds of comments and all kinds of new threads talking about the Wings trading for Crosby.  Why?  Because we don't focus on the highly unrealistic stuff in life.  So maybe I am being ever so slightly too literal, but this board is talking about the playoffs for the last 6 weeks like it is actually still an ongoing realistic possibility.  It's not.

Us making the playoffs vs us obtaining Crosby are not even in the same realm of possibility. Like I said, I dont think we are making the playoffs, but to say we have no chance is not true, unless it's what you are hoping for, then it's just wishful thinking. 

Its within reach, however were to unconsistent to put up a run. Our numbers are way down this year, we still play a guy that has 0 goals(sheahan). Imagine if he has 10-12 like alot of our other players, we could potentially be sitting in the wildcard spot right now.

I still place blame on coaching, i'm sure alot of you would agree. Lines and roster management has been a disaster this season. Though we've been on a decline for years just hanging on to make the playoffs, its no surprise were on the verge of missing them once again.