• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

vladdy16

Gustav Nyquist Hearing

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, chaps80 said:

6 games huh? A few years ago the way Nyquist was playing you'd think that by now having him out that long would be a huge problem for the team. But they won't even notice he's gone. 

Nyquist was the future. Now he's not even the present.

Well....game 1 without Nyquist and we were shutout. Not saying that he is our entire offense or anything even close to that, but I do feel he is a bit undervalued around here.

2 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

https://mobile.twitter.com/rinaldozac/status/832296009862627330

Zac Rinaldo on if 6 games was enough for Nyquist: "I would be in jail"

As usual, the best part is in the replies..

Edited by FireCaptain

It seemed like it had to be 6 games to me from the beginning (I know, hindsight).  The league decided that already when they gave Duncan Keith 6 for the high stick on Coyle (?).  I think they may have wanted to come down harder on Nyquist, but didn't want to look like they had a double standard... which they would've had if Nyquist got a harsher suspension than their good 'Hawks boy Keith... especially considering that Keith had done the same thing previously to Jeff Carter.

He was saved by his lack of dirty history and the fact there was not an injury.  Personally, I think far too much weight is placed on whether an injury occurs or not, past history does make sense, unless you basically give nothing because of no history.  In this case 6 games isn't nothing, but could have been a lot worse if someone else had done it.

2 hours ago, barabbas16 said:

It seemed like it had to be 6 games to me from the beginning (I know, hindsight).  The league decided that already when they gave Duncan Keith 6 for the high stick on Coyle (?).  I think they may have wanted to come down harder on Nyquist, but didn't want to look like they had a double standard... which they would've had if Nyquist got a harsher suspension than their good 'Hawks boy Keith... especially considering that Keith had done the same thing previously to Jeff Carter.

I called six prior to. Gotta know the corrupt commitee, foo.

Joke aside, given the crime I could see that the time would be 5 games minimum. Add 1 for good measure but not more since Gustav has no priors and plays soft & clean. Which is not a compliment.

now it is serious.

I am truly worried about Letang's well-being or even a life. He may just die (or seriously damage his brain) laughing after this: https://www.nhl.com/news/ducks-antoine-vermette-suspended-10-games/c-286835584

I hope zebras (and their ******* bosses) keep getting these kind of messages...

Edited by ami

These suspensions are all bs. Really. Nyquist shouldn't play another game this season. And Keith should have missed the entire post season last year. And he'd had a similar incident 3 years prior. It's ridiculous. The only time the league got it right on a suspension was when Torres missed 41 games. 

Factoring in previous history as a 'dirty' player is bs also. Are you going to give someone a slap on the wrist for assault just because they haven't done it before?

And if we do factor it in, look at Keith, who apparently gets the same length of suspension as Gus, even though Keith had a previous history not 3 years prior?

And injury of the opposing player also shouldn't play a part in determining the suspension. Frankly, if you look at Nyquist and Keith's plays, both could have lead to career ending injuries for the opponent. 

Not to jump on the bandwagon, but Marchand should be suspended for a long time for his slew footing bs. If this league is actually serious about cutting this crap out of the game, then it's time the DOPS actually acted like it had a pair and sent a message to someone who's actually a high level player in this league and suspend them properly for a period of time that will actually affect their team so it sends a message that these kind of plays aren't tolerated. 

Unfortunately, most likely due to behind the scenes politics, DOPS doesn't have a pair to even begin with. 

12 minutes ago, wings4thecup06 said:

These suspensions are all bs. Really. Nyquist shouldn't play another game this season. And Keith should have missed the entire post season last year. And he'd had a similar incident 3 years prior. It's ridiculous. The only time the league got it right on a suspension was when Torres missed 41 games. 

Factoring in previous history as a 'dirty' player is bs also. Are you going to give someone a slap on the wrist for assault just because they haven't done it before?

And if we do factor it in, look at Keith, who apparently gets the same length of suspension as Gus, even though Keith had a previous history not 3 years prior?

And injury of the opposing player also shouldn't play a part in determining the suspension. Frankly, if you look at Nyquist and Keith's plays, both could have lead to career ending injuries for the opponent. 

Not to jump on the bandwagon, but Marchand should be suspended for a long time for his slew footing bs. If this league is actually serious about cutting this crap out of the game, then it's time the DOPS actually acted like it had a pair and sent a message to someone who's actually a high level player in this league and suspend them properly for a period of time that will actually affect their team so it sends a message that these kind of plays aren't tolerated. 

Unfortunately, most likely due to behind the scenes politics, DOPS doesn't have a pair to even begin with. 

Justice comes second when you gotta sell stuff

1 hour ago, wings4thecup06 said:

I agree with the majority of this with the exception of the bold part. History has to play a part in suspensions. The analogy you used of "Are you going to give someone a slap on the wrist for assault just because they haven't done it before?" of course should not be the case, however, if you have a person who is a repeat offender and has assaulted multiple people, IMO should be punished more then a person who is a first time offender. I think the big issue here is that the NHL does not hand out harsh enough punishments, so players keep doing it AND they treat star players differently then the average player.

I have said it before, if you want to take the crap out of the game you need harsher consequences. For example, if you want to take head-shots out of the game, make it a 41 game suspension for elbows to the head. Guarantee that cleans up the game dramatically. Problem is the NHL and NHLPA will never agree to something like that as the PA will fight it thinking it is unfair to players (which is ironic), and the NHL will not want to risk losing money if it happens to stars.

Edited by kliq

On 2/15/2017 at 9:07 PM, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Do you disagree with something I said?

He'd probably have irreversible thumb damage if he typed it all out! Just razzing you, but what is up with that screen name? Trying to figure out what thought process would lead to that. 

2 hours ago, lwing said:

He'd probably have irreversible thumb damage if he typed it all out! Just razzing you, but what is up with that screen name? Trying to figure out what thought process would lead to that. 

It's a motif in Eminem's early works. Happen to be a big fan.

Also the shock value.

55 minutes ago, Krayzie_Bone said:

Nyquist is turning out to be a diver and dirty.

Im starting to think both he and Tatar need to go. They're basically Hudler and Filppula. They're not ever going to be the next euro twins. And I dont like Gus's diving or the face spear. Brings shame to that logo on the front of his jersey. And I didn't like some of Tatar's belly aching early in his career or the reports of him staying up all night partying in the condo he was renting from Helm a while back. Not saying guys need to be perfect, but when your losing these things start to weigh on my mind. Probably just used to having high quality gentleman like Lidstrom and Datsyuk, but still, if they can be moved for a high quality Dman at this point Im for it. Blow this team up. Losing sucks and I hate it. :(

4 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Im starting to think both he and Tatar need to go. They're basically Hudler and Filppula. They're not ever going to be the next euro twins. And I dont like Gus's diving or the face spear. Brings shame to that logo on the front of his jersey. And I didn't like some of Tatar's belly aching early in his career or the reports of him staying up all night partying in the condo he was renting from Helm a while back. Not saying guys need to be perfect, but when your losing these things start to weigh on my mind. Probably just used to having high quality gentleman like Lidstrom and Datsyuk, but still, if they can be moved for a high quality Dman at this point Im for it. Blow this team up. Losing sucks and I hate it. :(

I don't think they "need" to go, but either should be moved in the right deal. Although I agree with the Hudler and Filppula comparison, teams do still need those types of secondary scorers. I just think this team needs a different look, and if either can be packaged for a high end defenseman this summer, we need to do it.

4 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

I don't think they "need" to go, but either should be moved in the right deal. Although I agree with the Hudler and Filppula comparison, teams do still need those types of secondary scorers. I just think this team needs a different look, and if either can be packaged for a high end defenseman this summer, we need to do it.

Yeah we have too much secondary scoring. They would compliment a team with high end talent nicely. We don't have high end talent. Thus I'm thinking they should be moved for the highest end D man we can get.