• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
kliq

Trouba or Pick

Rate this topic

Trouba or Draft Pick?  

43 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

21 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

I don't think you think highly enough of Trouba, or what he would bring to this team... All his numbers point to him being a legit top pair defenseman, right now at the age of 22, and he will most likely develop into a true number one within the next year or two. Trouba would instantly be our undisputed number one (I know, not saying much on this team...), he logs a ton of minutes, can run a power-play, kill penalties, hits, blocks shots, clears the net-front, and drives possession.

What are the chances we get anything close to that in this years draft? I'd say slim to none. Sure, Liljegren could develop into a good offensive defenseman, maybe he even becomes a top pair guy, but I highly doubt he will become anything close to a well rounded player like Trouba.

Thinking highly of Trouba is one thing.... but it should be said that by keeping the pick and developing that player, we won't have Trouba in the line up... we will likely get a high pickin in 18, which is defenceman heavy.

Well Cheveldayoff could just phone McPhee and ask him about Trouba for their 6 overall, so he would get a pick for a guy who will not sign an extension with his team, not bad at all. I think Trouba will be better than every available defender from this draft class but the Wings also need a real number 1 center and I'm willing to take my chances with Patrick but if it's anything less than that I'd take Trouba.

12 minutes ago, Dabura said:

Say the Jets ask for Larkin, straight up (i.e. no additional picks or prospects. A one-for-one swap.) So, we get a good young defenseman and we get to keep the pick. Do you pull the trigger?

I'm not necessarily advocating. Just curious.

Absolutely, back before the season I advocated for this exact scenario.  I'm not entirely sold on Larkin, I see Mantha being far more important to us over the coming years.

10 minutes ago, Dabura said:

Say the Jets ask for Larkin, straight up (i.e. no additional picks or prospects. A one-for-one swap.) So, we get a good young defenseman and we get to keep the pick. Do you pull the trigger?

Would have to think about that long and hard but I guess I would do it because this will be the highest pick since ages. Huge fan of Larkin and I think he is the potential to be a great second line center don't know if he'll ever be good enough for first line duties.

Edited by frankgrimes

48 minutes ago, Dabura said:

No. I like the idea of having a Larkin-AA-Helm 1,2,3 punch down the middle as we would likely have the fastest center's in the league, plus I think we can end up getting Trouba for less. With the right line-mates I think Larkin has a ton of potential.

(P.S. I didn't mean to hijack the thread, or pull it off on a tangent. The hypothetical Larkin-for-Trouba swap is just something I've been contemplating on and off for the past couple of weeks or so. I guess, more than anything, I'm wondering if people here are less sold on Larkin than they were back in, say, October.)

4 minutes ago, Dabura said:

(P.S. I didn't mean to hijack the thread, or pull it off on a tangent. The hypothetical Larkin-for-Trouba swap is just something I've been contemplating on and off for the past couple of weeks or so. I guess, more than anything, I'm wondering if people here are less sold on Larkin than they were back in, say, October.)

I remember the rumor back in October that Chevy asked for Larkin in return. Certainly seems like attitudes have changed. Most scoffed in October.

Larkin is still someone I would not move personally. He'll be a top line center at some point IMO

we cant trade mantha aa or larkin..who else in the future do we have to score?

anyone else fine.

trouba might not be the best but team needs a change.

i would take a top 2 dmen that puts up no points but can play ******* defense and maybe teach others how to play defense more than anything

Edited by brett

6 hours ago, Dabura said:

It all depends on where they finish in the draft lottery. I mean, win the lottery, then absolutely. Trade Larkin for Trouba. But beyond that, it is just creating one hole by filling another. Which is why trying to use the pick to get him may be the best option.

8 hours ago, Dabura said:

Absolutely. Not that it would happen.

I'm hoping Larkin rebounds with the kind of play he showed in the first half of last season at some point. Right now it's been over a full season since he regressed, but everyone on the team regressed for the most part.

Edited by chaps80

15 hours ago, Dabura said:

I think you'd definitely have to think long and hard, but I'd have a hard time pulling the trigger on that trade straight up. The two hardest (most important) positions to fill in hockey are number one center and number one defenseman, and I think both Larkin and Trouba will get there in their respective positions. Larkin is the only guy in the organization with 1C potential in my opinion, and I'd rather overpay in other areas than give up a 20 year old with that ceiling. I still think (hope) a deal surrounding Tatar / Nyquist, high end prospect / high draft pick could be enough to get it done, closer to the expansion draft...

Winnipeg may be perfectly fine going the 8 player, 1 goalie route, and protecting 4 defensemen and 4 forwards, but there's a reason most teams would prefer to go with 3 defensemen, 7 forwards, 1 goalie, it allows protection of 2 extra players. If the Jets go the former, they will likely lose a young kid like Dano, Lowry or Armia. None are likely to be huge losses, but moving a defenseman (Trouba) prior to the draft, while gaining valuable assets would allow them to protect more players. They would then be able to protect their other 3 defensemen, plus an extra 3 forwards, including one they could potentially gain in any trade...

Here's my opinion. Getting a 1D in the draft is always a hit or miss because defensemen have weird development. Getting a 1C in the draft is usually guaranteed to be good if they are in the top 5 pick. 

So I would:

Trade Larkin for Trouba 1 for 1. 

Draft Nolan Patrick.

Done. 

Just kidding you know we ain't getting Patrick. But let's say we get the 3rd pick at worst this year.

I draft Vilardi and wish Dylan Larkin well and go visit Trouba in his Rochester home in Michigan this summer when he moves back. Maybe buy him a welcome home present or something. 

My point is Vilardi, Patrick might be in a weak draft class but they will most likely be better centers than Larkin. Whereas if you keep Larkin and try to draft a 1D, you never know what you'll get. Could be hit or miss. 

Edited by kickazz

2 hours ago, kipwinger said:

If we aren't going to take a center in the draft (which we should), then keep your pick and look at Tomothy Liljegren.  He's an offensive dynamo, and Trouba is overrated. 

While I do not think Trouba is overrated, I agree that Liljegren should be the priority if we have a high enough pick to get him. That being said, if we win the lottery, my vote is on drafting Patrick and giving up Larkin or AA for Trouba straight up. 

Let's just say we're sitting at the draft table with the number 5 overall pick and Liljegren is our guy. Winnipeg calls and offer us Trouba for the pick straight up. What would you do? I take the trade without hesitation. Trouba is a top pair guy right now, and has plenty of room to grow. Liljegren, while he looks like a very good young player, is still very much an unknown. I think best case scenario he develops into a player as good as Trouba, maybe slightly better offensively. Worst case, which is always a possibility, he doesn't develop as well as expected, and tops out as a mediocre NHL defenseman. I take the sure thing every time.

I absolutely do not trade AA, Mantha or Larkin. They are our future...if that is what it takes to get Trouba, then I keep the pick. 

Like I said in a previous thread, I'm kind of warming up to Liljegren. I draft him,  then go hard after Shattenkirk. 

Then I absolutely buy out Ericsson if I can't deal him.

DD - Shattenkirk 

Liljegren - Green

XO - Jensen

Kronner being in and out due to injury.

I know Sproul is missing, I'm hoping Kronwall goes LTIR if he cannot play to what we need. 

Edited by LeftWinger

I'd consider it for Fowler or Hamilton, not Trouba.  He's not especially good offensively for a "top pair" guy and he already thinks he's a superstar so you know you're going to have to pay him more than he's worth later.  He reminds me of another "top pair" guy named Jay Bouwmeester, who was mediocre offensively, got paid like a elite defenseman, and then never improved.  Except that Trouba has never topped 30 points in any NHL season.  I'd pass and keep my pick.  Try to move Nyquist and/or Dekeyser for defensive help.