• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
DickieDunn

Recent Long Term Deals (4+ years)

Rate this topic

Abdelakder: Signed through 22-23, $4.25m, 4G 8A in 39 games,  82 game pts pace: 25.2

Helm:  Signed through 20-21, $3.85m, 6G 5A in 29 games 82 game pts pace 31.1

Nielsen:  Signed through 21-22, $5.25m, 10G 16A in 54 games 82 game pts pace 39.5

Glendening:  Signed through 20-21, $1.8m, 2G 10A in 57 games 82 game pts pace 17.3

Dekeyser:  Signed through 21-22, $5m, 3G 5A in 57 games 82 game pts pace 11.5

The forwards are all at or near the age when they're probably going to start slowing down, and none of them are really earning their pay now.  It's only going to get worse.  Basically they have a 4th line paid almost $10 mil.  Dekeyser would be better if they could use him on the second pair, but they still need more from him for that contract.

Does anyone still think these are good contracts?

Neilson,  Abdelkader,  Helm and Dekeyser are all decent mid-teir guys with good character who are playing over their heads in bigger roles than they should be.

If the team needs money,  they'll free it up somewhere else.  Probably not from those guys. 

So all these contracts end in 2021-22 ish. About the time Larkin, Mantha, AA and maybe Svech and the other youngsters will be hitting their primes. Honestly sounds like a good outlook strategically since by 2022 those said young players will be getting biggest long term contracts (from age 26 till mid 30s). 

I think these contracts aren't going to hurt our long term outlook and will be finishing up by the time the future players will be getting their main contracts. 

So, not a big deal. 

Edited by kickazz

29 minutes ago, kickazz said:

So all these contracts end in 2021-22 ish. About the time Larkin, Mantha, AA and maybe Svech and the other youngsters will be hitting their primes. Honestly sounds like a good outlook strategically since by 2022 those said young players will be getting biggest long term contracts (from age 26 till mid 30s). 

I think these contracts aren't going to hurt our long term outlook and will be finishing up by the time the future players will be getting their main contracts. 

So, not a big deal. 

Oh great.  There will be like 3 posters here by that time.  

The Dekesyer deal sets bad precedent. Once the Wings have a defensemen that can put up 25 points he's going to expect similar money.

Abdelkader's deal is a nightmare. Made absolutely no sense when he signed it. Got fair market value for his one career season but then tacked on 7 years that benefited nobody but Abby. This is Holland's worst contract he's ever handed out

Nielson I am fine with

I feel like this topic has been talked to death on here, but I'll bite.

Combined with the E, Howard, Kronwall, and Zetterberg contracts, there is no doubt that we have two many long term contracts on this team, but with that being said here is what I feel about each individually. 

Abdelakder: I dont hate the cap hit, but I dont like the term. I wish he was signed for 4 years instead of 7.

Helm:  I think the Helm contact is fine as I think he is a really good third line center. I have said it before, but I like the prospect of having Larkin, AA, Helm down the middle. If we land a 1C in the draft, we shift Larkin or AA to the wing which I also like.

Nielsen:  Not a bad contract in general, but not a good one for us to take on. I wish Holland didnt sign him. This is one that I hope we can move, but doubt we can with the NMC.

Glendening:  Don't love it, don't hate it. It's 1.8mil for 4 years, not going to make us, not going to break us. Personally I wouldnt have signed him to it.

Dekeyser - Fine with it. I think DD is a top 4 D-man who is playing on an average team in a 1A role with what appears to be poor coaching. That is just a recipe for failure.

I think looking at total points on the season for each of these players is a waste of time considering they are all playing in a system that is just not producing goals. Put any of these guys minus Glendening on a better team with a better coach and their production would increase.

10 hours ago, kliq said:

I feel like this topic has been talked to death on here, but I'll bite.

Combined with the E, Howard, Kronwall, and Zetterberg contracts, there is no doubt that we have two many long term contracts on this team, but with that being said here is what I feel about each individually. 

Abdelakder: I dont hate the cap hit, but I dont like the term. I wish he was signed for 4 years instead of 7.

Helm:  I think the Helm contact is fine as I think he is a really good third line center. I have said it before, but I like the prospect of having Larkin, AA, Helm down the middle. If we land a 1C in the draft, we shift Larkin or AA to the wing which I also like.

Nielsen:  Not a bad contract in general, but not a good one for us to take on. I wish Holland didnt sign him. This is one that I hope we can move, but doubt we can with the NMC.

Glendening:  Don't love it, don't hate it. It's 1.8mil for 4 years, not going to make us, not going to break us. Personally I wouldnt have signed him to it.

Dekeyser - Fine with it. I think DD is a top 4 D-man who is playing on an average team in a 1A role with what appears to be poor coaching. That is just a recipe for failure.

I think looking at total points on the season for each of these players is a waste of time considering they are all playing in a system that is just not producing goals. Put any of these guys minus Glendening on a better team with a better coach and their production would increase.

Yeah, pretty much exactly this for me as well. Oddly enough, the one I have the biggest problem with, is the one that is hurting us the least cap wise... Glendening. I think that was a terrible contract to hand out, both way over on dollars and term. But whatever, this team shouldn't have too much trouble offloading any of these contracts, and like has been mentioned, most of the bigger ones are due to be up, by the time the kids are due for their first big raises.

We're only a couple years into Nyquist deal....bad deal. Ken Holland seems to lose on deals all the time now. He makes bad deals, we need someone who will make good deals, winning deals. Fair deals. I'm tired of hearing "team X offered player Y more money." 

4 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

We're only a couple years into Nyquist deal....bad deal. Ken Holland seems to lose on deals all the time now. He makes bad deals, we need someone who will make good deals, winning deals. Fair deals. I'm tired of hearing "team X offered player Y more money." 

We need to start winning bigly on deals.

1 hour ago, mackel said:

We need to start winning bigly on deals.

:lol: when I wrote that, I didn't even realize it sounded that way...guess I've been brainwashed! But it does kind of pertain to the Wings, especially with the conspiracy of Holland getting raped by other teams with trades too!