• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
kickazz

Glendening vs Ott

Rate this topic

Who would you rather have on your team?  

34 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I picked Ott for the single reason that he's literally top 10 on faceoffs in the entire league (he's ranked 9) at around 58%. When it comes to PK, imo faceoff a win is the most important of the kill. I'd take that in the playoffs any day. I think that's one of the reasons why Draper was so valuable in our cup wins. 

It would be one thing if he was around 53% on faceoffs, but when you get closer to that 60% mark that's almost a guaranteed win against most centers not named Patrice Bergeron. 

Edited by kickazz

I also picked Ott because he has slightly better Corsi than Glendening (45% for Ott vs 43% for Glendening). Meaning while Ott isn't the best offensive guy, he still does a slightly better job of moving the puck.

Also as people know, I enjoy hockey fights which he does. Even though he loses 90% of his fights. Still good entertainment for me during playoff hockey. 

Edited by kickazz

1 hour ago, kickazz said:

I picked Ott for the single reason that he's literally top 10 on faceoffs in the entire league (he's ranked 9) at around 58%. When it comes to PK, imo faceoff a win is the most important of the kill. I'd take that in the playoffs any day. I think that's one of the reasons why Draper was so valuable in our cup wins. 

It would be one thing if he was around 53% on faceoffs, but when you get closer to that 60% mark that's almost a guaranteed win against most centers not named Patrice Bergeron. 

Glendening's taken 469 faceoffs this year compared to Ott's 171 (hockey-reference.com) so I think their FO percentages mean a very different thing. Ott hasn't been used as a main faceoff taker in about 4 years. I think maybe his higher-than carreer-average success is due to the fact that he's a replacement faceoff taken doesn't repeatedly go up against guys so they don't start to figure him out as would usually happen. Ott's career average is still higher than Glendening's., though.

Side note: In checking out stats, I just saw that Glendening finished 40th in the voting for the Selke trophy last year. That's higher than Zetterberg! Tied with Jagr and Parise! That's hilarious!

http://www.hockey-reference.com/awards/voting-2016.html#selke

Anyway, Ott wouldn't be on my playoff team. He takes too many bad penalties and only has 6 pts. Hell, he had a third of his total points in today's game.

13 hours ago, PavelValerievichDatsyuk said:

Glendening's taken 469 faceoffs this year compared to Ott's 171 (hockey-reference.com) so I think their FO percentages mean a very different thing. Ott hasn't been used as a main faceoff taker in about 4 years. I think maybe his higher-than carreer-average success is due to the fact that he's a replacement faceoff taken doesn't repeatedly go up against guys so they don't start to figure him out as would usually happen. Ott's career average is still higher than Glendening's., though.

Side note: In checking out stats, I just saw that Glendening finished 40th in the voting for the Selke trophy last year. That's higher than Zetterberg! Tied with Jagr and Parise! That's hilarious!

http://www.hockey-reference.com/awards/voting-2016.html#selke

Anyway, Ott wouldn't be on my playoff team. He takes too many bad penalties and only has 6 pts. Hell, he had a third of his total points in today's game.

It's hard to downplay Ott's faceoff percentage. He's taken a career total 2894 faceoffs and is at about 56%. And even with less faceoffs taken, there's no signs of decline in his win %, infact there's an upwards trend. Even in his head to head matchups during the PK against top centers this season he's still got a decent faceoff % compared to others.  

Blashill uses Ott in the faceoffs over Glendening during the PKs.

Btw Selke votes are "blah" after 5th or 6th place. It's probably someone giving a troll 5th place vote or something lol. 

Edited by kickazz

Ott is a better hockey player, and is on a better contract - one year, close to league minimum, you know, the way 4th liners should be paid. Glendening is way overpaid, both dollars and term, and is not a very good hockey player. I wouldn't have either on my team, but if I had to choose, it would be Ott every time...

4 minutes ago, kickazz said:

It's hard to downplay Ott's faceoff percentage. He's taken a career total 2894 faceoffs and is at about 56%. And even with less faceoffs taken, there's no signs of decline in his win %. Even in his head to head matchups during the PK against top centers this season he's still got a good faceoff %.  

In my post, I did say he was better at face-offs. I wasn't exactly downplaying it - just qualifying it. Glen's at 53.7 and Ott's at 57.9. It is an advantage, but only 4.2% and I think you do have to take into account that Glendening has taken almost 3 times as many. 

24 minutes ago, PavelValerievichDatsyuk said:

In my post, I did say he was better at face-offs. I wasn't exactly downplaying it - just qualifying it. Glen's at 53.7 and Ott's at 57.9. It is an advantage, but only 4.2% and I think you do have to take into account that Glendening has taken almost 3 times as many. 

But is there a correlation to taking more faceoffs and having a lower percent? In December, Glendening and Zetterberg both had worse faceoff percents than they do now. They've both taken more faceoffs since then.

Edited by kickazz

Just now, kickazz said:

But is there a correlation to taking more faceoffs and having a lower percent? In December, Glendening and Zetterberg both had worse faceoff percents than they do now. 

I'm more thinking about utility to the team. Ott's a winger. He really can't handle being center anymore, so his advantage doesn't mean as much because it won't be put use that often. It's great to have him as an extra faceoff guy, but he won't be taking a large number of draws. Other than Nielsen, Glendening our best center at faceoffs. If you're arguing for Ott on the basis of faceoffs, then I assume you want him to take Glen's share of the faceoffs, but then we're stuck with Ott at center for the rest of the shift or at least until we clear. As a fix, I guess you could have Larkin as center and then have Ott take all his draws for him, but then you have Ott on a scoring line.

14 hours ago, MileHighWingsGuy said:

I'm not real sure why Glendenning is on this team let alone signed to the contract he's on. Ott every time.

Right handed shot.  Local guy.  

14 hours ago, kickazz said:

35 of Otts 63 PIM is from fighting. He's about the same as other players on the squad in terms of the penalties he takes. Unless I'm wrong, Id have to look it more into detail. 

He has seven fights this season?  Wow!  

He'd be a legend on this forum 5 years ago with those numbers.  

21 minutes ago, GMRwings1983 said:

He'd be a legend on this forum 5 years ago with those numbers.  

How crazy is it that the Red Wings are officially "that team" that fights and out-hits opponents but can't score or win games. Back in mid-2000s people always gave the Wings crap for being too soft yet always winning. 

Tables have turned. We're 10th in the league in fights lol. As a comparison we were 30th in the league in 2008. I think the last time we were top 10 in fights was 93-94 season. 

Edited by kickazz

4% is pretty significant.

Sent from my LGLS676 using Tapatalk

25 minutes ago, DickieDunn said:

4% is pretty significant.

Sent from my LGLS676 using Tapatalk

I would have to agree. Like I said, when you get closer to 60% that makes a huge difference since most guys in the league are around 50-52%.

But in addition to winning it, he's also a good penalty killer and has better Corsi than Glendening does while being older. Plus one would wonder how Glendening would be at Ott's age (34) or if Ott was Glendening's age (27). At 27, Ott scored 19 goals, 46 points in 64 games. 

Ott was no doubt far better player at Glendening's age. And I see some folks here arguing that he's better even at his current age (34). 

Edited by kickazz

18 hours ago, Euro_Twins said:

Ott. At least he will fight. Glendening brings nothing to the team. 

Yes, Ott WILL fight, too bad he CAN'T fight. But at least he will. It's better than the old "we'll make them pay with our PP" mentality. But I will certainly take Ott over Glendening in the playoffs. Better player and he hits harder. And a better agitator.