• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

Tomas Jurco traded to Chicago for a 3rd rounder

Rate this topic

15 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

It wasn't too long ago that Panik was a waiver pick up.  Now he's on the top line of one of the league's premier teams.  I wouldn't guarantee that Jurco is restricted to only 4th line duties. 

It's not guaranteed. Someone just posted that he's practicing with Hossa and Kruger, who are on the third line right now. He could play on the top lines. Anythings possible, but I don't see a guy who was a spare part for the Wings jump up to the first or second line in Chicago. Lol

2 minutes ago, chaps80 said:

It's not guaranteed. Someone just posted that he's practicing with Hossa and Kruger, who are on the third line right now. He could play on the top lines. Anythings possible, but I don't see a guy who was a spare part for the Wings jump up to the first or second line in Chicago. Lol

Like I said, Panik was waived by one of the league's worst teams and he IS playing up there.  Chicago has a good core and a great coach, if Jurco can't make it there he can't make it anywhere.  But I don't think, in his case, that past performance means much.  It's not like the Red Wings have been great at asset management the last few years.  We'll see how he performs, but I won't be a bit surprised if he's much better in Chicago than he was here.  We currently seem to have no idea how to maximize guys' abilities in Detroit anymore.

31 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

Like I said, Panik was waived by one of the league's worst teams and he IS playing up there.  Chicago has a good core and a great coach, if Jurco can't make it there he can't make it anywhere.  But I don't think, in his case, that past performance means much.  It's not like the Red Wings have been great at asset management the last few years.  We'll see how he performs, but I won't be a bit surprised if he's much better in Chicago than he was here.  We currently seem to have no idea how to maximize guys' abilities in Detroit anymore.

I get what your saying, but while guys like Nyquist and Tatar, who at one point looked like the next Zetterberg and Datsyuk, have regressed big time,   Jurco never showed that sort of talent  in the NHL in the first place. He has talent, which may be why Holland hung onto him so long hoping he'd reach his potential. Eventually you gotta cut your losses.

50 minutes ago, shocky2002 said:

Jurco has decent advanced metrics. Would've expected them to go hard after Corsi legend Tomas Tatar though. 

There were rumours that they were interested in him. Tatar would bring a bigger return though and they probably wouldn't give up what it would take. I'm sure Kenny would want a good player rather than a pick or prospect for mr. Tatar.

Anyway, the hawks are always dealing with cap concerns these days and they couldn't fit Tatar in - especially with him on the verge next year. I think that's got to be a plus for them with Jurco since makes 900 thou and won't be getting much of a raise next year as things stand. 

Edited by PavelValerievichDatsyuk

11 hours ago, chaps80 said:

I get what your saying, but while guys like Nyquist and Tatar, who at one point looked like the next Zetterberg and Datsyuk, have regressed big time,   Jurco never showed that sort of talent  in the NHL in the first place. He has talent, which may be why Holland hung onto him so long hoping he'd reach his potential. Eventually you gotta cut your losses.

Nyquist and Tatar were never expected to change their game and become "grinders", nor were they ever played on the 4th line with scrubs. Nyquist and Tatar were put in a position to succeed right from the get-go, Jurco was not. He was mismanaged worse than I've ever seen. I think the fact that he was a big kid (6'1" over 200lbs.) went against him. If he were a smaller player, like the aforementioned, he would have never been expected to play a grinding game, and he would have had more of an opportunity to show of his skill. He will get that opportunity now in Chicago and I think he's will surprise a lot of people.

I think a lot of people would agree with the above, but maybe not what I'm about to say... A bit of a bold statement, but I truly believe that if Jurco were utilized properly, and given the same opportunity as the likes of Nyquist and Tatar, he would have been as good or better than both... The talent is definitely there, so I'm excited for him to get an opportunity in Chicago.

39 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

but maybe not what I'm about to say... A bit of a bold statement, but I truly believe that if Jurco were utilized properly, and given the same opportunity as the likes of Nyquist and Tatar, he would have been as good or better than both... The talent is definitely there, so I'm excited for him to get an opportunity in Chicago.

Hot take!!

I do not disagree! Plainly and simply, the Wings need to give guys they expect to play a certain role the opportunity to play that role. If their expectation was that Jurco was going to be a bottom-six grinder they should have given up on that experiment a while ago. If their expectation was that he was going to be a top-six scoring winger they needed to give him more time and opportunity in that role. 

Why exactly is it impossible for Jurco to have shown his skill set when he's on the ice? Just because he was paired with defensive players doesn't mean people can't judge his performance. Good players look good when the puck is on their stick. It was more than just stats that went into managements disappointment in Jurco

41 minutes ago, joesuffP said:

Why exactly is it impossible for Jurco to have shown his skill set when he's on the ice? Just because he was paired with defensive players doesn't mean people can't judge his performance. Good players look good when the puck is on their stick. It was more than just stats that went into managements disappointment in Jurco

Jurco did show his skill set on the ice. His performance on most nights was good, certainly not bad enough to be the scratch after every game. He did look good when the puck was on his stick, and more often than not made smart plays. You're right though, it was more than just stats, and I believe it was also more than just on-ice performance, it must have been attitude, lack of intensity in practice, or something else behind the scenes. There's just no other explanation for the utter mismanagement in my opinion...

1 hour ago, joesuffP said:

I dont think Jurco would have been a superstar if put in a better position (not that anyone is saying that), but at the same time I don't think he would have been as bad as he was. IMO Jurco is one of those players who has something in him, but needs the right situation to bring it out of him. There are certain players out there that are simply great or just very good, and if you put them anywhere they will thrive. There are other players out there that just don't have "it" and you can put them anywhere and they won't thrive. Jurco was neither of these, he was a guy who if put in the right situation could probably produce like a very good (not great) player, but if put in a bad situation (like he was) would not produce at all. I think he has a ceiling of a Nyquist/Tatar maybe even better if put in a perfect situation, and a floor of what we saw last season.

2 hours ago, frankgrimes said:

Good god four pages for a aguy who couldn't crack the worst team in the eastern conference unreal.

How many pages did we have on Drew Effin' Miller? Jarnkrok?  How many Dan Cleary threads did we have?

if you don't wanna discuss this... there's probably a need for a new McJesus thread to be created, amirite? 

26 minutes ago, e_prime said:

How many pages did we have on Drew Effin' Miller? Jarnkrok?  How many Dan Cleary threads did we have?

if you don't wanna discuss this... there's probably a need for a new McJesus thread to be created, amirite? 

Jarnkrok was traded alongside a second round pick for 3 months of Legwand service that's a whole different discussion than a guy who couldn't crack the worst lineup in the eastern conference.

Just now, frankgrimes said:

Jarnkrok was traded alongside a second round pick for 3 months of Legwand service that's a whole different discussion than a guy who couldn't crack the worst lineup in the eastern conference.

Your record is skipping. 

5 hours ago, kickazz said:

Well. Jurco was 0-2 with two different coaches. So I do wonder if it's something behind the scenes. 

Both of whom wanted him to be something he's not.  Lions fans remember Kyle Van Noy.  Couldn't get on the field in Detroit, played well for New England in their Super Bowl run.  Why?  Usage.  He was a 3-4 OLB in college, Detroit runs a 4-3.  He didn't fit.  NE runs a hybrid 4-3/3-4, he fills a role there.  Babcock and Blashill wanted Jurco to play a "heavy" game.  He doesn't do that naturally, didn't fit what they wanted.  If the Hawks use him opposite Hossa for more than a game or two, we'll find out for sure if it was a usage issue or a talent issue.

2 hours ago, frankgrimes said:

2 hours ago, e_prime said:

Your record is skipping. 

That doesn't mean it's wrong. 

What happened to "dont like it, dont read it"? Thought that was your policy Frank. 

Anyway, Jurco is a youtube star pretending to be a hockey player. I dont remember a single shift by him where I thought "wow this kid is gonna be something" I dont remember many terrible shifts either. On the whole the kids play was pretty blah and forgetable.

He made a name for himself playing on Huberdeaus wing and with his youtube clips. Turns out he CANT do those slick moves at NHL speeds, and turns out he CANT score without a gifted centerman dragging him along.

If the Hawks want to play him with Toews and Hossa cool. More power to them, and good luck to Jurco. I personally believe there was probably something going on behind the scenes, which would explain why he received 4th line grinding duties most of the time. Attitude issue, problems with coaches or teammates, laziness, alcohol or drug problem, who knows. Not everyone is a good fit on every team. Look at Vanek. Got run out of a few different cities, but been a great fit here. Who knows. Sometimes it's a crap shoot.

So sick of the whole "YouTube star" bulls***... Jurco has the skill as a hockey player, not just stick handling challengers... He proved it in junior, and in Grand Rapids, and even his first stint in Detroit when he was actually utilized properly, in the top 9. He clicked on a line with Tatar and Sheahan, but for whatever reason neither Babcock and Blashill reverted back to it. No one is saying Jurco is an elite talent, but he absolutely does have middle 6 NHL talent. Name a none elite player (middle 6 winger) that would have success on a line with the likes of Glendening, Andersson, Miller, etc. There are very few. Imagine how awful Tatar or Nyquist would look with those scrubs. Imagine Mantha coming up this year and playing a game with them, then being scratched for 7 because he didn't produce. It's very easy for a coach to ruin a players career, I just hope for Jurco's sake, he got out of there before it was too late. I don't expect him to be a point per game player in Chicago or anything, but 30-40 points, middle 6 winger is realistic if he's utilized properly, and I think he will be.

4 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

So sick of the whole "YouTube star" bulls***... Jurco has the skill as a hockey player, not just stick handling challengers... He proved it in junior, and in Grand Rapids, and even his first stint in Detroit when he was actually utilized properly, in the top 9. He clicked on a line with Tatar and Sheahan, but for whatever reason neither Babcock and Blashill reverted back to it. No one is saying Jurco is an elite talent, but he absolutely does have middle 6 NHL talent. Name a none elite player (middle 6 winger) that would have success on a line with the likes of Glendening, Andersson, Miller, etc. There are very few. Imagine how awful Tatar or Nyquist would look with those scrubs. Imagine Mantha coming up this year and playing a game with them, then being scratched for 7 because he didn't produce. It's very easy for a coach to ruin a players career, I just hope for Jurco's sake, he got out of there before it was too late. I don't expect him to be a point per game player in Chicago or anything, but 30-40 points, middle 6 winger is realistic if he's utilized properly, and I think he will be.

Whoa there, i said he was used improperlly probably because of off ice issues...

Tomas Jurco is in fact a youtube star, who can do fun tricks on camera, but doesnt seem to know how to even toe drag in real life. At least not at the NHL level. He doesnt even try. 

Guys (both pro and anti Jurco) Jurco is not a Red Wing anymore. He's gone.

For good. Just let it go lol. 

He'll be playing AGAINST us now as a rival. Doesn't give a s*** about us anymore. Moved on. Sayonara. Adios. 

Doesn't need our support or hate. Could care less about it. Has a new fanbase in the Blackhawks now. 

Edited by kickazz