• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
kylee

2017 KHL playoffs

Rate this topic

the KHL playoffs are going on now and SKA St Petersburg (Datsyuk's team) is playing. I think this is game 2, game 1 is probably on this site if you're interested. I'll be watching when I can, and it seems they post all the games. It shouldn't be too hard to stay in a bubble lol. 

https://www.laola1.tv/en-int/video/2017-02-23-ska-saint-petersburg-vityaz-moscow-region-fullmatch-len

Atta boy. Good to see that Datsyuk got some spirits still. Retaliation hit 100%.

I say let him walk. Shouldn't be a problem, being mother Russia and all. Add to the mix that he returned home premature.

As a referee of 15 years, this hit is completely clean. What is a penalty is the check from behind/boarding play that is clear as day. I also don't even think this hit was in retaliation. It wasn't the player that hit him, and he didn't chase after this player - it was just a natural place for Datsyuk to be.

Why its clean: Doesn't leave feet or take more than a stride to deliver the check + elbows down + no head contact. Since the close up of the hit doesn't display the head area, that could be the only thing that I wuld be mistaken, but it doesn't look like head contact to me.

On 3/18/2017 at 7:14 PM, martyrme19 said:

As a referee of 15 years, this hit is completely clean. What is a penalty is the check from behind/boarding play that is clear as day. I also don't even think this hit was in retaliation. It wasn't the player that hit him, and he didn't chase after this player - it was just a natural place for Datsyuk to be.

Why its clean: Doesn't leave feet or take more than a stride to deliver the check + elbows down + no head contact. Since the close up of the hit doesn't display the head area, that could be the only thing that I wuld be mistaken, but it doesn't look like head contact to me.

His elbow actually looks to be up a bit, could be a bit of follow through, hard to tell...but if nothing else, it's definitely a late hit, so not clean.  It's also retaliation for sure, doesn't have to be the same player.  Not sure why I'm arguing this point as it doesn't really matter to me whether it is or isn't, but he got hit, fell to ice and looked to be hurt, but that bounces right up a sec or two later (I didn't like that at all, you are either hurt or you're not...was he trying to buy a call) and then immediately skates over and hits the first player her sees.

Again, not sure about the elbow, hard to tell, but assuming it's down, I love the hit, other than the fact is was too late, he took the shot from well above the circles, gets on net, goalie makes save and puck ends up in the corner and that's when contact takes place.  That's not clean even in NA.

3 hours ago, toby91_ca said:

His elbow actually looks to be up a bit, could be a bit of follow through, hard to tell...but if nothing else, it's definitely a late hit, so not clean.  It's also retaliation for sure, doesn't have to be the same player.  Not sure why I'm arguing this point as it doesn't really matter to me whether it is or isn't, but he got hit, fell to ice and looked to be hurt, but that bounces right up a sec or two later (I didn't like that at all, you are either hurt or you're not...was he trying to buy a call) and then immediately skates over and hits the first player her sees.

Again, not sure about the elbow, hard to tell, but assuming it's down, I love the hit, other than the fact is was too late, he took the shot from well above the circles, gets on net, goalie makes save and puck ends up in the corner and that's when contact takes place.  That's not clean even in NA.

I don't think it's a late hit by NHL standards. NHL player safety defines a late hit as 0.6 seconds after the player gives up the puck. Due to youtube's slowdown feature, you can see the player shoots the puck near the end of the 3rd second of the video and the check happen just after the 4th second starts. Not exact timing, but seems definitely under the 0.6 to me. But maybe the KHL has different standards.

Also, by slowing it down, you can see the elbow is down, but he does follow through with it.

Edited by PavelValerievichDatsyuk

49 minutes ago, PavelValerievichDatsyuk said:

I don't think it's a late hit by NHL standards. NHL player safety defines a late hit as .06 seconds after the player gives up the puck. Due to youtube's slowdown feature, you can see the player shoots the puck near the end of the 3rd second of the video and the check happen just after the 4th second starts. Not exact timing, but seems definitely under the .06 to me. But maybe the KHL has different standards.

Also, by slowing it down, you can see the elbow is down, but he does follow through with it.

You may be right, perhaps it just looks worse than it is because of the position the player was in.  I tried using a stop watch, which is not entirely precise, but I was consistently getting just under .5 seconds (actual would be a little more, but unlikely to be greater than 0.6).  The 0.6 isn't official of course and it's not in the rulebook at all.  The problem is that you want players to be able to finish their checks, which is why you need to allow some time because it's tough to avoid contact if you are already committed to the check and the puck is gone.  That's why there is some arbitrary amount of time that is considered reasonably enough time to avoid the hit.  

I have zero experience with KHL rules though, but I suspect they are harsher when it deals with hitting.

On 3/20/2017 at 3:29 PM, toby91_ca said:

You may be right, perhaps it just looks worse than it is because of the position the player was in.  I tried using a stop watch, which is not entirely precise, but I was consistently getting just under .5 seconds (actual would be a little more, but unlikely to be greater than 0.6).  The 0.6 isn't official of course and it's not in the rulebook at all.  The problem is that you want players to be able to finish their checks, which is why you need to allow some time because it's tough to avoid contact if you are already committed to the check and the puck is gone.  That's why there is some arbitrary amount of time that is considered reasonably enough time to avoid the hit.  

I have zero experience with KHL rules though, but I suspect they are harsher when it deals with hitting.

If its so close you have to use a stop watch....its not a late hit. And his elbow was most certainly down. What you saw was the follow through which wasn't even high.

Edited by martyrme19

8 hours ago, martyrme19 said:

If its so close you have to use a stop watch....its not a late hit. And his elbow was most certainly down. What you saw was the follow through which wasn't even high.

No, it looked really late, only reason I used a stop watch at all was because the unofficial timing was brought up of 0.6 seconds, so I decided to see how long it was.

Ok mission accomplished Dats. Will you come back now? And bring your wife and kids here too. Easily could get your daughter into Harvard if she lists "I'm the daughter of The Magic Man" on her application. 

2 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

https://streamable.com/wty9j

^ Video of Dats raising the Gagarin cup (he's been injured so is dressed down. Also they apparently took the C from him and gave it back to Kovy after Dats got injured)

That's mean. 

4 minutes ago, kickazz said:

Ok mission accomplished Dats. Will you come back now? And bring your wife and kids here too. Easily could get your daughter into Harvard if she lists "I'm the daughter of The Magic Man" on her application. 

That's mean. 

Try try try to understand.

In all fairness Kovy had it first, but then he was a bad boy so they gave it to Dats

Edited by ChristopherReevesLegs

7 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Try try try to understand.

In all fairness Kovy had it first, but then he was a bad boy so they gave it to Dats

Kovy is probably a better captain anyways. He's the better player (at this point) and likely more vocal. 

8 minutes ago, kickazz said:

Kovy is probably a better captain anyways. He's the better player (at this point) and likely more vocal. 

Well part of the reason he lost the C was because he was training on his own, and not with the team.

“The decision on Ilya Kovalchuk is this: he has been withdrawn from the squad, and is training on an individual program,” SKA coach and former NHLer Sergei Zubov

"repeated violations of the [training] regime" and "conflicts with the assistant head coach Vladimir Fedosov."

But yeah he's their best player

Edited by ChristopherReevesLegs