• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Jersey Wing

Bishop to Kings: MacKenzie & TSN

Rate this topic

2 hours ago, kliq said:

Yes that's right. Vegas can speak with 100% off UFA's and if they sign one prior to the expansion draft, that signing counts as their "pick" from the team the player came from.

But how many will sign with Vegas during the "early window"? Would make more sense for players to wait until July 1 when all teams can bid on their services. Why take Vegas' early offer and possibly screw yourself out of money? Only things I can see attracting UFAs to Vegas early is the offer of a captaincy or increased minutes.

1 hour ago, GMRwings1983 said:

He seems to own our ass in the playoffs.  

Mrazek has owned Tampa's ass too.

1 hour ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

They dont even have to re-sign Zatkoff. Just have to submit a qualifying offer to Campbell and their requirments are fuffilled. This is really a non issue.

Yep that works too.

28 minutes ago, chaps80 said:

But how many will sign with Vegas during the "early window"? Would make more sense for players to wait until July 1 when all teams can bid on their services. Why take Vegas' early offer and possibly screw yourself out of money? Only things I can see attracting UFAs to Vegas early is the offer of a captaincy or increased minutes.

I think you answered yourself. There are plenty of good players like Bishop who get moved around a lot who will want to "find a home". Bishop will likely be a cornerstone in that franchise. He will get good money and term out of them, so why chance it in FA? If they hit your number take your number.

TSN says Eric Cernak is going to be a top 4, puck-moving Dman. He's listed 6'3", 203 lbs and righthanded. He was a 2nd round pick in 2015 (43rd overall). Could be a good pick up by Stevie. 

This could be a really bad trade for the Kings. If Quick plays the majority of the season and into the playoffs and they have significant success, they could have payed a 2nd round pick and a top 4 D man for a slightly upgraded backup who only plays a few games. I guess if they go far, they won't care that much, though.

There must be significant concerns about Quick's recovery.

Edited by PavelValerievichDatsyuk

6 minutes ago, PavelValerievichDatsyuk said:

TSN says Eric Cernak is going to be a top 4, puck-moving Dman. He's listed 6'3", 203 lbs and righthanded. He was a 2nd round pick in 2015 (43rd overall). Could be a good pick up by Stevie. 

This could be a really bad trade for the Kings. If Quick plays the majority of the season and into the playoffs and they have significant success, they could have payed a 2nd round pick and a top 4 D man for a slightly upgraded backup who only plays a few games. I guess if they go far, they won't care that much, though.

Cernak sounds a lot like Chychrun to me. Big strong young guy who makes good decisions and is RH. Sounds like the kid is a very smart physical D man.

3 hours ago, chaps80 said:

That's a good question, the only way I can see it is if LV has a lot of money to spend, they could throw stupid money at a player that is way above market value that they wouldnt come July 1st, other then that I dont know why. I wouldn't if I was a player.

9 hours ago, PavelValerievichDatsyuk said:

Bingo bango! 

Dean Lombardi revealed that he and Steve Yzerman had been working on a deal for Ben Bishop for about two or three weeks.

Quick, 31, was impressive in a win over the Anaheim Ducks, but Lombardi and the Kings just could not be sure about how he would fare in the stretch drive after coming back from such a lengthy time away, and were therefore set on acquiring another No. 1 goalie.

The condensed schedule over the next few weeks was another factor in making the trade for the Kings. They just simply don’t want to wear Quick down.

“This is not an insurance policy,” said Lombardi. “There’s not a lot of room here for error. We just want to take that out of the equation by making sure that we have a No. 1 goalie in there every night.”

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2017/02/26/a-number-of-concerns-about-jonathan-quick-led-kings-to-pursue-bishop/

This is not an insurance policy,” said Lombardi. “There’s not a lot of room here for error. We just want to take that out of the equation by making sure that we have a No. 1 goalie in there every night.”

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2017/02/26/a-number-of-concerns-about-jonathan-quick-led-kings-to-pursue-bishop/

Haha. Not an insurance policy, you're just making sure you have a no. 1. Umm Lambardi, that is an insurance policy. Gotta work on your spin talk.

Edited by PavelValerievichDatsyuk

6 hours ago, GMRwings1983 said:

LA has allowed the 5th fewest goals in the league this season.  They are 25th in goals scored.  

Seems like goaltending isn't the issue.  Strange move.   

As much as I respect the season Budaj is having this year, I wouldn't trust him in a deep playoff run, and if they are not 100% sure about Quick's health, it completely makes sense.

Spoke to some LA fans who enlightened me a bit on the state of their team.

I guess when Quick went down and Budaj came in the team completely changed their systems. That is they locked it down defensively, sacrificing a lot of offense. From what i understand Quick is very good at playing the puck outside the net and stopping breakaways. This insurance allows their D men to join the rush and overall make more aggressive offensive plays. Budaj rarely plays the puck outside the net and is not the breakaway stopper Quick is. So the team buttoned down the hatches and reverted to a defensive grinding style. This is why Budaj has had a career year numbers wise, the team gave him tons of support. 

Now Quick is back, but hes been out a long time and probably has some rust. His groin is becoming a real issue health wise. And they have a lot of back to back games coming up, with no room for error if theyre going to make the playoffs.

Long story short, Bish allows there team to return to a more up tempo scoring style and can take some of the work load off Quick. And they didnt have to sacrafice much to bring him in. So perhaps a goalie will fix their scoring issues?

Yeah that up tempo scoring style stuff is a lot more exciting than what the kings have looked like most of this year. They've been the second team I root for since around 08ish when I started paying more attention to the rest of the league. Their usual style is a lot of fun to watch imo. And yeah a lot of that revolves around having a very good tendy because that style leads to odd man rushes the other way.. no offense to budaj but I wouldn't trust him in that system either. Quick going down hurt them a lot more than losing their starting goalie would hurt most teams. 

4 hours ago, amato said:

Yeah that up tempo scoring style stuff is a lot more exciting than what the kings have looked like most of this year. They've been the second team I root for since around 08ish when I started paying more attention to the rest of the league. Their usual style is a lot of fun to watch imo. And yeah a lot of that revolves around having a very good tendy because that style leads to odd man rushes the other way.. no offense to budaj but I wouldn't trust him in that system either. Quick going down hurt them a lot more than losing their starting goalie would hurt most teams. 

I cant remember their coaches name at the moment, but I applaud him for making those changes. REALLY helped Budaj. Bold strategy Cotton, ets see if it pays off. 

Edited by ChristopherReevesLegs

2 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I cant remember their coaches name at the moment, but I applaud him for making those changes. REALLY helped Budaj. Bold strategy Cotton, ets see if it pays off. 

Darryl Sutter. And yeah, good adjustments.. not sure if they'd be as high in the standings without them. Now if only he could get Kopitar going :P 

On February 26, 2017 at 11:16 PM, GMRwings1983 said:

Just like Cujo owned the Ducks' ass in 2003.  Just look at the numbers.  

Cujo had pretty good numbers (2.08 GAA, .917 SV%), but was swept that year.

Mrazek has a 1.88 GAA, .931 sv%, and 3 shutouts in ten playoff games, all against Tampa. He took Tampa to 7 games in 2015 when they had no buisiness even getting that far, and gave the Wings every chance to win after replacing Howard 2 games in in 2016. His first start was a shutout.