• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
BBD10

Packaging picks for a top 3 pick

Rate this topic

With the deadline coming up fast, like the rest of you, I have been amazed at some of the values they have thrown out for some of the guys we are looking to possibly sell off by Weds.  Just what I have seen thrown around:

Vanek- 1st rounder + Prospect (depending on the team)

Sheahan- 1st rounder to 2nd

Green- 1st rounder + (Would have to be a mid 1st or 1st plus)

Smith- possibly a 2nd rounder to 3rd

(Note: This is all assuming the picks fall as the percentages portray at this point)  With the draft being somewhat of a down year in terms of quality at the top, do you guys see Holland trying to gather up as many picks as possible and maybe packaging our 1st and another 1st for a top 3 pick?  Im not a prospect guru so let me know if I am way off here, but after Patrick, Hischier, and Liljegren, there is a bit of a drop off as far as immediate impact prospects go.  Im not all that confident that the Avs are going to trade away the chance to select Patrick at #1, but trading up from where we are (Which should be in a good spot still) to #2 and select Hischier or 3rd for Liljegren could be possibilities. 

It would be really encouraging to see Holland trade Vanek for sure and then Smith.  If he could deal Sheahan for a 1st, that would be incredible.  That would give us our 1st, two other 1st round picks plus what you get for Smith.  All that on top of the 8 other picks in hand.  That gives Holland some real fire power to potentially move up in the draft and possibly draft one of those top 3 players who have a shot to be real franchise players. 

Like most, I am at the point where I believe this team definitely needs to rebuild.  With the immediate success of young players in the NHL these days, if we can make the right moves, we are back in the hunt in a couple of years.  Package up some picks to trade up or possibly get lucky in the lottery and draft a guy like Patrick or Hischier, we are opening up the new Arena with an exciting new toy on display.

I'm fairly confident we're going to draft 3rd anyway. Wings are not showing us much to prove otherwise. 

Bah, I totally forgot about the lottery. Haha....depending on where we actually end up would determine the trading scenario I guess. 

Edited by DRW Dominance

56 minutes ago, DRW Dominance said:

I'm fairly confident we're going to draft 3rd anyway. Wings are not showing us much to prove otherwise. 

Bah, I totally forgot about the lottery. Haha....depending on where we actually end up would determine the trading scenario I guess. 

Also don't forget LV can draft no lower than 3rd

10 minutes ago, UpstateNYRedWingsFan said:

Also don't forget LV can draft no lower than 3rd

They get lottery odds as if they were third from last.... they can draft as low as 6th if the three lotto picks go to teams above them and (likely) the avs and coyotes. That most likely won't happen obviously, but they're not automatically the third overall pick. The first three picks are still being auctioned off.

According to this (not sure how legit it is) we have a 23.5% chance to take top 3, 7.6% chance at #1.

http://www.tankathon.com/nhl

Worth nothing that it has Van, Dal, Vegas at 30% or less, so we're pretty similar there. But Colorado at nearly 50% to get a top 3 pick.

Based off of where we are at right now in the lottery standings (4th behind Avs, Yotes, Knights) we definitely have a shot to snake our way into the top 3.  Then again we also have a chance of falling to like 7 or 8.  Of course, if we send Vanek and some other productives out for some picks, that will only improve the tank lol.  Maybe catch the Yotes but they are pretty terrible and I see that as a long shot.

I just hope that we sell Vanek and get a 1st rounder + and then go from there.  If we can get a 1st out of Sheahan, great, if not, we dont need to sell him for nothing.  Get what you can out of Smith.  If someone comes knocking for Green with a juicy offer, take it.  If we have enough picks to package together, IMO Las Vegas(definitely) and Arizona could use some extra picks if we need to move up.  Im just praying, like the rest of you, that we are able to snag either Patrick(C), Hischier(C), or Liljegren(RHD).  Those are the 3 franchise players in this draft IMO and guys who are in the line up game 1.  We need someone in this draft to build around. 

If we don't end up winning a lotto pick and assuming those guys are the first three, I hope we land Mittelstadt. Dudes got some good hands and speed  and coming out of high school into the draft makes me think he could be a little underrated (kind of like when we picked Larkin lower). I think he'll go to Minnesota and tear it up as a freshman like Larkin did at UM. 

Edited by amato

I really don't want Liljegren unless we fall way out. No way I'd draft him with a top 3 pick, not even top 5. I'm not that high on Hischier either, we have enough smallish forwards.

I want to draft some big, skilled guys. The order I'd pick would be Patrick, Vilardi, Tippett, Rasmussen, Mittelstadt. After those 5 are gone, then I'd start looking at Hischier and Liljegren...

There are too many centers at the top of the draft for me to like us drafting tippett. Also I'm a little higher on Liljegren but I kind of agree on Hischier.. I'd prefer for us to get bigger. I think my top five might be Patrick, Liljegren, Middelstadt, Vilardi, Hischier

but i'm sure that'll keep changing due to my indecision :P 

I agree that we need a number one center more than a winger, but I do think we need to add a big, right-handed sniper as well, and Tippett could be that guy. I'd definitely take Patrick or Vilardi before him, but after those two it would be a toss-up between the other three for me. Tippett has a bomb of a shot and is being compared to a Kessel type sniper, something we could definitely use... Our biggest needs remains to be defense, but I'm just not that high on any of the defensemen in the top half of the draft. If we can acquire another 1st in a Vanek trade, that's when I'd go hard after defensemen. Foote or Hague would be ideal, but I doubt either will be available late in the first...

10 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

I agree that we need a number one center more than a winger, but I do think we need to add a big, right-handed sniper as well, and Tippett could be that guy. I'd definitely take Patrick or Vilardi before him, but after those two it would be a toss-up between the other three for me. Tippett has a bomb of a shot and is being compared to a Kessel type sniper, something we could definitely use... Our biggest needs remains to be defense, but I'm just not that high on any of the defensemen in the top half of the draft. If we can acquire another 1st in a Vanek trade, that's when I'd go hard after defensemen. Foote or Hague would be ideal, but I doubt either will be available late in the first...

I do like that plan with the hopeful Vanek return. And good points on tippet. I'm not saying I'd be upset with him but just that I'd prefer a center. 

Hopeful but unlikely situation: we win one of the lotto picks, get a center.. team that gets Vanek doesn't protect the pick for missing playoffs, misses, we get Foote/Hague :P 

None of this will ever happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Riley Sheahan for a 1st? Y'all are more optimistic than when Holland thought Legwand was the missing piece to the next dynasty.

When it comes to any draft, I rather load up on picks if you are going to do the reload. This team has many holes and needs to build through the draft. Make the trades and load up on picks, for the 2017 and 2018 drafts. From what I have read the 2017 is not as deep, so that's why I say get some picks for the 2018 draft. 

3 hours ago, MS_ said:

None of this will ever happen.

Riley Sheahan for a 1st? Y'all are more optimistic than when Holland thought Legwand was the missing piece to the next dynasty.

Just repeating what those who know a lot more than me are saying.  They just hit on one in Braden smith, even under priced him.  This is a good sign for the next 24 hours.  I think Holland took his adderal this morning.

2 hours ago, BBD10 said:

Just repeating what those who know a lot more than me are saying.  They just hit on one in Braden smith, even under priced him.  This is a good sign for the next 24 hours.  I think Holland took his adderal this morning.

He was up all night stomping full size tires into hard rubber pucks, so yeah most likely 

I heard Tacoma (Wash) East football star and first ever 6 star football recruit, Milky Waters, is considering switching sports and giving hockey a try.  If so, the Wings would be smart to draft him.  (Sean Baligian fans will get this).