• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
HadThomasVokounOnFortSt

Jensen Signed 2 YR Extension

Rate this topic

Wonder if this has anything to do with a smith deal falling through? Seems unlikely but this also seems like a weird time to focus on extending Jensen. Maybe it was just an easy process. 

Whatever the reason, I'm glad to have him.. Jensen has been exciting to watch and I hope he keeps getting better. 

Just now, krsmith17 said:

$800K 2017-18 and $825K 2018-19. Good signing.

Figured it'd be cheap. Could turn out to be a steal.. good signing indeed. 

10 minutes ago, amato said:

Wonder if this has anything to do with a smith deal falling through? Seems unlikely but this also seems like a weird time to focus on extending Jensen. Maybe it was just an easy process. 

Whatever the reason, I'm glad to have him.. Jensen has been exciting to watch and I hope he keeps getting better. 

Figured it'd be cheap. Could turn out to be a steal.. good signing indeed. 

I'm thinking it was just an easy signing to make. Maybe they wanted to get a deal in place before he had a chance to up his value...

7 minutes ago, amato said:

wait, is jensen hurt?? 

Typo I'm assuming... Better question is, did we call up Givani to play 3rd pair defense? :ninja:

EDIT: How do you quote tweets like that amato?

Edited by krsmith17

29 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

I'm thinking it was just an easy signing to make. Maybe they wanted to get a deal in place before he had a chance to up his value...

Typo I'm assuming... Better question is, did we call up Givani to play 3rd pair defense? :ninja:

EDIT: How do you quote tweets like that amato?

Hahahaha I didn't even notice it said smith twice. Whoops. 

I just copy the tweet URL from my twitter app and paste onto the mobile site and it does it automatically. I primarily use my phone for LGW so I'm not sure if it works in the regular browser but I'd assume so? (edit: just tried it on my desktop in the bishop to LA thread and it worked)

Edited by amato

5 minutes ago, PavelValerievichDatsyuk said:

From what we've seen from him, it really is a head scratcher why we didn't see Jensen before this year.

How many NHL Dmen play their 1st NHL game at age 26?  

It's the Red Wing way... Seriously though, what makes it even more mind boggling is the fact that he outplayed and was arguably the most deserving of a spot out of the 4, two years in a row. I've always been a fan of Jensen, but I honestly didn't think he'd ever get an opportunity here...

2 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

It's the Red Wing way... Seriously though, what makes it even more mind boggling is the fact that he outplayed and was arguably the most deserving of a spot out of the 4, two years in a row. I've always been a fan of Jensen, but I honestly didn't think he'd ever get an opportunity here...

Yeah, I kind of thought his window had closed. Even for the Red Wing way Jensen was way over ripe (does that make him rotten? haha). Marchenko and XO got called up a repeatedly rather than giving Jensen his turn and even Sproul got a game a few years ago. Thought they had decided he was not part of the future.

11 minutes ago, PavelValerievichDatsyuk said:

Yeah, I kind of thought his window had closed. Even for the Red Wing way Jensen was way over ripe (does that make him rotten? haha). Marchenko and XO got called up a repeatedly rather than giving Jensen his turn and even Sproul got a game a few years ago. Thought they had decided he was not part of the future.

Just another example of player mismanagement by this organization...

1 hour ago, HadThomasVokounOnFortSt said:

Toss up, love the way Jensen is so mobile more. Maybe I'm more so on the side of just let the young guys play now. Either way, yes!

I love Jensen's game (most of all: his skating, mobility) and I definitely want a youth movement. Just sayin'. Jensen's only played in a few games at the NHL level and he's been pretty sheltered in terms of his responsibilities, so it's not entirely clear what we have in him. That's one of the reasons I like this deal -- it's a zero-risk "show me" contract.

Another example of a silly fan jizz-fest over a young guy whose greatest virtue is that he hasn't been around long enough for fans to turn on him. 

Ericsson, Helm, Abby, Leino, Smith, Nyquist, Tatar...remember when it was such a crime when those kids were left in the minors? Now they're the s***ty vets we wish we could get rid of. People turning on Mrazek, Dekeyser, and even Larkin now. The next thing is always the better thing. Hell, last year people were already about to give up on the current kids in favor of Russo/Hicketts. I'm sure within a year or two we'll be back to gazing longingly at the horizon waiting for the next wave.

Fact is the Wings do a great job of drafting and developing players, and putting young kids in situations to be successful. Maybe too good. Even without tanking for high picks, or selling for a high number of picks, we've produced more talent than we've had room for. Many have done so well starting out that it created unrealistic expectations for what they'd become, and/or made people believe that since they were successful they would have been equally so at any time, as if development doesn't matter at all. (Except for Jurco, who was obviously brought up too soon since he wasn't as successful, but if he had been it would have meant he was brought up too late...)

Maybe not perfect; but no one is, has been, or ever will be. Sad that we can't appreciate what the organization does well because we're so consumed with how things might have hypothetically been done better. 

4 minutes ago, Buppy said:

Another example of a silly fan jizz-fest over a young guy whose greatest virtue is that he hasn't been around long enough for fans to turn on him. 

Ericsson, Helm, Abby, Leino, Smith, Nyquist, Tatar...remember when it was such a crime when those kids were left in the minors? Now they're the s***ty vets we wish we could get rid of. People turning on Mrazek, Dekeyser, and even Larkin now. The next thing is always the better thing. Hell, last year people were already about to give up on the current kids in favor of Russo/Hicketts. I'm sure within a year or two we'll be back to gazing longingly at the horizon waiting for the next wave.

Fact is the Wings do a great job of drafting and developing players, and putting young kids in situations to be successful. Maybe too good. Even without tanking for high picks, or selling for a high number of picks, we've produced more talent than we've had room for. Many have done so well starting out that it created unrealistic expectations for what they'd become, and/or made people believe that since they were successful they would have been equally so at any time, as if development doesn't matter at all. (Except for Jurco, who was obviously brought up too soon since he wasn't as successful, but if he had been it would have meant he was brought up too late...)

Maybe not perfect; but no one is, has been, or ever will be. Sad that we can't appreciate what the organization does well because we're so consumed with how things might have hypothetically been done better. 

Next time include a trigger warning with your post

Just had my first Franzen flashback in years because of you.

Classic Kenny...everyone is waiting for very important trades and deals to be done prior to the trade deadline and we get a signing out of the blue. Shades of last year, when trades were needed and we signed Draper for no apparent reason to a minor league deal. I'm so tired of this act, the best thing at this point would be if he does nothing and ownership is as sick of his "leadership" as some of us are and fires him. Is there anyone at the top with a game plan or direction? Anyone at all? Glad to have Jensen onboard but good Lord focus on the task at hand.