• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
HadThomasVokounOnFortSt

Jensen Signed 2 YR Extension

Rate this topic

2 minutes ago, MileHighWingsGuy said:

Classic Kenny...everyone is waiting for very important trades and deals to be done prior to the trade deadline and we get a signing out of the blue. Shades of last year, when trades were needed and we signed Draper for no apparent reason to a minor league deal. I'm so tired of this act, the best thing at this point would be if he does nothing and ownership is as sick of his "leadership" as some of us are and fires him. Is there anyone at the top with a game plan or direction? Anyone at all? Glad to have Jensen onboard but good Lord focus on the task at hand.

Draper? Last year?

38 minutes ago, Buppy said:

Another example of a silly fan jizz-fest over a young guy whose greatest virtue is that he hasn't been around long enough for fans to turn on him. 

Ericsson, Helm, Abby, Leino, Smith, Nyquist, Tatar...remember when it was such a crime when those kids were left in the minors? Now they're the s***ty vets we wish we could get rid of. People turning on Mrazek, Dekeyser, and even Larkin now. The next thing is always the better thing. Hell, last year people were already about to give up on the current kids in favor of Russo/Hicketts. I'm sure within a year or two we'll be back to gazing longingly at the horizon waiting for the next wave.

Fact is the Wings do a great job of drafting and developing players, and putting young kids in situations to be successful. Maybe too good. Even without tanking for high picks, or selling for a high number of picks, we've produced more talent than we've had room for. Many have done so well starting out that it created unrealistic expectations for what they'd become, and/or made people believe that since they were successful they would have been equally so at any time, as if development doesn't matter at all. (Except for Jurco, who was obviously brought up too soon since he wasn't as successful, but if he had been it would have meant he was brought up too late...)

Maybe not perfect; but no one is, has been, or ever will be. Sad that we can't appreciate what the organization does well because we're so consumed with how things might have hypothetically been done better. 

I agree to an extent, but I think for the most part, most of us have somewhat realistic expectations for Jensen as well as most prospects coming up in our system. Just because we are excited about how well he's playing, and that he signed a very nice contract doesn't mean anyone is expecting him to become some sort of stud number one. I'd say his ceiling is 2nd pair, likely making a career as a mobile 3rd pairing guy. I'm excited for some of our D prospects too, but I don't think any of them are upgrades over anything we currently have, including Ericsson. But that doesn't mean I wouldn't love to see Russo in the lineup over Ericsson. That's just a personal preference, based on wanting to get younger while getting rid of a few bad contracts in the process.

The organization has been very good at grooming (drafting and developing) their prospects for the most part, but that doesn't mean they haven't made some errors in judgement along the way. Some were very apparent to most fans and as a fan base, we've earned the right to call them out on those. I do believe Jurco was brought up too soon, and mismanaged terribly, I also believe Jensen could have been brought up a year sooner and he would have been just as good last year. You may not agree with that, but that's the way I see it from my perspective.

Another example of a silly fan jizz-fest over a young guy whose greatest virtue is that he hasn't been around long enough for fans to turn on him. 
Ericsson, Helm, Abby, Leino, Smith, Nyquist, Tatar...remember when it was such a crime when those kids were left in the minors? Now they're the s***ty vets we wish we could get rid of. People turning on Mrazek, Dekeyser, and even Larkin now. The next thing is always the better thing. Hell, last year people were already about to give up on the current kids in favor of Russo/Hicketts. I'm sure within a year or two we'll be back to gazing longingly at the horizon waiting for the next wave.
Fact is the Wings do a great job of drafting and developing players, and putting young kids in situations to be successful. Maybe too good. Even without tanking for high picks, or selling for a high number of picks, we've produced more talent than we've had room for. Many have done so well starting out that it created unrealistic expectations for what they'd become, and/or made people believe that since they were successful they would have been equally so at any time, as if development doesn't matter at all. (Except for Jurco, who was obviously brought up too soon since he wasn't as successful, but if he had been it would have meant he was brought up too late...)
Maybe not perfect; but no one is, has been, or ever will be. Sad that we can't appreciate what the organization does well because we're so consumed with how things might have hypothetically been done better. 

Mostly bottom of the roster talent you don't sweat losing. Unless you're Holland, then you overpay the guys in the roster instead of swapping them out for cheap replacement players.

Sent from my LGLS676 using Tapatalk