• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

ShanahanMan

Brendan Smith traded to Rangers for 2nd (2018) and 3rd (2017) Round Draft Picks

Rate this topic

1 minute ago, derblaueClaus said:

Shattenkrik had a lot to do with it. After the Caps got him the pressure was on NY and and to a degree Pittsburgh to bolster their D as well and that drove the price up. Good for us.

Peer pressure.  Like seeing two of your buddies in a bar hook up with average looking women at closing time, and then scrambling to find anybody to go home with yourself.  The Rangers go home with Smith.    

1 minute ago, greenrebellion said:

Indeed, definitely looks like prices are inflated at this deadline...even more so than usual.

Hmmm..............I wonder what we could get for Danny Dekeyser?  He's big and young.  Someone would certainly pay a lot for him right now.    

Just now, GMRwings1983 said:

Peer pressure.  Like seeing two of your buddies in a bar hook up with average looking women at closing time, and then scrambling to find anybody to go home with yourself.  The Rangers go home with Smith.    

hahaha I miss this when we use to watch the streams hahaha Good one GMR

1 minute ago, GMRwings1983 said:

Who looks pretty average himself. ;)

Just to clarify: My comment wasn't meant to say that Smith is a bad defense man. He is not and I wouldn't mind seeing him in Detroit again. But a 2nd and a 3rd is still a steep price for a top 4  defenseman who will be an UFA at the end of the season. 

Here's what went on behind closed doors.

KH- Brendan, we want you,  here's 3x $3.5M...

BS- No, I need 4 at $4.5M...

KH- ok, we'll trade you, you can go where you can prove you are worth it, maybe get yourself a Cup, then if you prove you're worth it, we'll offer you 4 at $4.8M, if you still want to be a Red Wing,  we'll see you in July. 

1 hour ago, Jersey Wing said:

Monitoring the Twitter

Detroit is now up to 10 picks in the 2017 NHL draft: 1st 2nd 3rd CHI 3rd NYR 3rd TOR 4th 5th 6th 6th FLA 7th

It's a shame they're mostly in the wrong half of the draft, and in a weak year :/ oh well hopefully they can work some magic with them.

5 minutes ago, Echolalia said:

It's a shame they're mostly in the wrong half of the draft, and in a weak year :/ oh well hopefully they can work some magic with them.

When they say its a "weak" draft, they are really only talking about the top handful of picks with no super star standouts.  Its not like magically this entire draft class is way weaker than other years.

Let's find out what Rangers fans think of the deal thus far:

guess i'll reserve judgement until i see him play. I do like the mean streak trait though. definitely something we need for the playoffs.

2nd and a third in two different years....meh, deadline deals seemingly rarely are steals for the buyers in recent years.

Totally a knee jerk move b/c of Caps getting Shattenkirk giving up a 2nd/3rd round pick.

More of a measured response to the fact some of our D-men are bad.

Detroit seems to be over the moon about this. Never a good sign.

Washington loads up with Shattenkirk. We get... Brendan Smith. Cool

not pleased with this deal. hopefully he has some impact didn't really see the need for a LHD tho

If we unloaded 2 seconds for this guy I will lose my ****

Such an odd trade. People seem to be either over the moon or not liking it.I'm in the "Not so good" camp, but I hope I'm wrong. Won't mind eating crow. I just don't see that value. He shores up our bottom 3 d-men. That's about it

23 minutes ago, Echolalia said:

Yamamoto and Suzuki. If they fall a bit. They are currently rising though, may have to acquire another 1st to snag Yamamoto. Then take Suzuki with our high 2nd. 

Solid return for Smith. Holland did well in this situation.

1 hour ago, LeftWinger said:

Here's what went on behind closed doors.

KH- Brendan, we want you,  here's 3x $3.5M...

BS- No, I need 4 at $4.5M...

KH- ok, we'll trade you, you can go where you can prove you are worth it, maybe get yourself a Cup, then if you prove you're worth it, we'll offer you 4 at $4.8M, if you still want to be a Red Wing,  we'll see you in July. 

Bite your tongue!!

I'm in disbelief on what we got back for Smith. I may need to cool it a bit with my bitching about Kenny...for now lol. Getting a 2nd and a 3rd rounder for arguably our worst defenseman, and the 3rd rounder we already got for Jurco, is nothing short of amazing. Bravo Kenny! Gotta give you a pat on the back for this one. Wow.

Delicious return. 

I fear that Smitty was starting to find his game and he will start tearing it up for the Rags, but an even greater fear was that he was just going to become J. Ericsson 2.0. 

Either way, quality return for Smith.

Good luck Brendan. 

I didn't hate Smith, but he didn't amount to what he could have in Detroit. Management gave him more than enough time to get it together, and he didn't. It always seemed like he'd make great progress in one area, but then decline in another. Was time to ship him out with other upcoming defenders needing spots and the expansion draft and his UFA status looming.

The Rags overpaid, but so did Chicago for Jurco. Holland is actually off to a good start in the first season as a seller. Keep piling up those picks!!

Now to move Vanek. I wonder what kind of offers Holland has been getting? A first would sure be nice.

2 hours ago, greenrebellion said:

When they say its a "weak" draft, they are really only talking about the top handful of picks with no super star standouts.  Its not like magically this entire draft class is way weaker than other years.

Generally anything outside of the top 25-50 is a crapshoot, depending on the depth of the draft.  This one is fairly shallow, so the majority of our picks are essentially just more shots at playing the odds at finding a diamond.  Maybe one sticks and becomes a star.