• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

ShanahanMan

Brendan Smith traded to Rangers for 2nd (2018) and 3rd (2017) Round Draft Picks

Rate this topic

1 minute ago, kliq said:

lol! I've admitted that I am a GM before, this is why I empathize with Holland some times. I know what it's like to be given a direction by the owner that you don't even necessarily agree with, but have to sell it to people. It sucks.

Do you also have immunity at your job, like Kenny does?  

6 hours ago, lwing said:

You keep saying this kliqqy boy and it is so blue collar stupid I can't stop laughing. You believe what you want to, but I have my investments right up here on the screen. .... Good luck. 

6 hours ago, lwing said:

You keep saying this kliqqy boy and it is so blue collar stupid I can't stop laughing. You believe what you want to, but I have my investments right up here on the screen. Tell me what you know about asset allocation? Do you know who Bogel or Swensen are? What's an index fund? What's an expense ratio? What's the difference between a Roth IRA and a 401k? Extra credit 403b. Type what you want. I know and you know you can't answer these questions and it proves you are not taking care of things and are a financial loser.

Here’s the real story. I came here to post some frustration over these dinky little trades that are doing little to reverse the demise of the Red Wings. I made a post, then checked my investment funds and came back. Like the new girl meeting the gang of little junior high school mean girls, I was reprimanded for not following the rules of discourse for your little cliché. I realized how truly pathetic it is. To some of you, your list of “friends,” likes, and posts counts actually mean something to you. You actually measure this as some kind of accomplishment! Like it has some actual value, or worse, it gives you some kind of worth! 

I could care less what any of you say. Why? Because, I actually accomplish things in the real world and from that I have real capital I can spend, not web forum capital. You are one server crash away from losing your meaningless identity.

To the mean girls wannabes who don't quite fit in, I implore you, give up on your quest to impress these keyboard jockeys! Instead spend your computer time learning to code. There are no shortage of free courses that can help you develop job earning skills. Web development with html, javascript, css or learn how to work with data using SQL, Python or R. Try 30 minutes a day with Learn Python the Hard Way vs letsgowings for a few weeks and see what happens. While you rack up skills, you can come back here now and again and see how the more popular loser mean girls spent the same amount of time and effort racking up meaningless post counts and likes. Good luck. 

I bet your broke as s*** lmao

On 3/3/2017 at 11:21 AM, lwing said:

You keep saying this kliqqy boy and it is so blue collar stupid I can't stop laughing. You believe what you want to, but I have my investments right up here on the screen. Tell me what you know about asset allocation? Do you know who Bogel or Swensen are? What's an index fund? What's an expense ratio? What's the difference between a Roth IRA and a 401k? Extra credit 403b. Type what you want. I know and you know you can't answer these questions and it proves you are not taking care of things and are a financial loser.

Here’s the real story. I came here to post some frustration over these dinky little trades that are doing little to reverse the demise of the Red Wings. I made a post, then checked my investment funds and came back. Like the new girl meeting the gang of little junior high school mean girls, I was reprimanded for not following the rules of discourse for your little cliché. I realized how truly pathetic it is. To some of you, your list of “friends,” likes, and posts counts actually mean something to you. You actually measure this as some kind of accomplishment! Like it has some actual value, or worse, it gives you some kind of worth! 

I could care less what any of you say. Why? Because, I actually accomplish things in the real world and from that I have real capital I can spend, not web forum capital. You are one server crash away from losing your meaningless identity.

To the mean girls wannabes who don't quite fit in, I implore you, give up on your quest to impress these keyboard jockeys! Instead spend your computer time learning to code. There are no shortage of free courses that can help you develop job earning skills. Web development with html, javascript, css or learn how to work with data using SQL, Python or R. Try 30 minutes a day with Learn Python the Hard Way vs letsgowings for a few weeks and see what happens. While you rack up skills, you can come back here now and again and see how the more popular loser mean girls spent the same amount of time and effort racking up meaningless post counts and likes. Good luck. 

Bless your little cotton socks.  You prize material wealth and that is apparently going well for you. Have a biscuit. Any of us who try to pass judgement on others due to their ability to succeed in our priorities is, for want of a more nuanced phrase, an idiot. Me? I jacked in my managerial career a decade ago to do things I love that pay me very very badly. I suspect that I am in a worse financial situation that most posters on this board in absolute terms. I'm also by far the happiest I've been in my life, and look forward to every day. What I do that I love may be of no interest to anyone else on here.

It seems like you love playing investment markets, and the challenge of making your assets grow in an uncertain world. Cool. I used to love playing around with business and stock market simulations when I was younger, and continued sufficiently to have the various higher education paperwork to prove it. But ultimately I felt I couldn't connect with most people in those fields.

I know now that my brain workings and relationship with the world means that although I'm pretty good at all that kind of thing in the short term, long term it gives me no satisfaction. I turned down my white collar pathway, ignored the blue collar left turn, and now live a life outside both of those worlds. It turns out it suits me and my personality type. I'm not desperately successful at it, but, in all honesty, I'm basically getting paid to do things I would happily do for free.

But here's my primary point. This is a hockey forum. I'm not from a hockey country. we have no ice here! But I love hockey for the speed, the intensity, the emotion and the connection. The relationships between fans and players and the camaraderie between players from all types of backgrounds are fantastic. Whether it be the PK and Weber tributes or the enduring love for troubled souls like d-mac or Mickey Redmond and his ginger ales on the airwaves or all the college kids from educated families or the Jagr-esque Eastern European farm boys, more often than not Hockey is a family world that is increasingly embracing diversity and builds bonds over barriers. Whether its the 'If you can play' campaign, or the vast sums donated by players who come from comfort or come from nothing, it is primarily a game characterised by generosity, humility, understanding and class, particularly as it continues to develop and become more global. 

While perhaps provoked, your post is the opposite of so many of those values. This is a great community, built of a joint love of a great franchise and a great sport. Lets keep it that way. Right now this world needs to embrace the things that connect us and look beyond differences as much as possible. Its entirely possible that things like sport will by vital in stopping people creating wars for their own gain, as sport makes it harder for us to hate and judge those who are different, because it makes us connect with them. Hell look at the  Russians in Hockey. 30 years ago, they were hated and mistrusted in much of NA. Now every fan wishes they had a Vladdie, Sergei, Ovechkin or Bure or Dats on their team, an not just for their skills but for their character.

Also, technically, financial wealth in the investment markets are only ever a few hacks and technical and security breakdowns from being meaningless...;-)

Back on topic ...a trade both sided can be happy with. Smith with a genuine number 1 guy will be fine,despite the odd bonehead play. There is a reason him and McD were so good together in college. From a wings perspective, we can enjoy the fact that Kenny decided not to hand out another unwise contract extension and stock up on picks, because beyond the first 10 picks, almost as many 1st line d-men come in rounds 2 and 3 as between 11-30 in the draft. While I think Smith was probably the 3rd best D on this team as it currently stands, he's not ever going to sufficiently better than those behind him in line to not make a 2nd and a 3rd a good deal.

On 3/1/2017 at 2:23 AM, Jonas Mahonas said:

How is using a first round pick, spending 7 years developing him into a capable defenseman in his prime, and then trading him away for a 2nd and 3rd a "good job"?  The Wings are in a bad way right now.  They could have every 1st round pick next year, and it wouldnt matter.  I guess most people still haven't come to realize that our GM has no idea what he's doing.  Cleary, Miller, long term contract after long term contract.  You'd think everybody would realize that Holland is the biggest problem we have.  

Oh well, just sucks for us.  I'm sure Smith isn't shedding any tears.  Getting traded from the Red Wings must feel like breaking out of prison.

It is a good job when the team is going nowhere and by the time its relevant again he'll be past his prime AND as an upcoming UFA he wanted more money than any of us would have been comfortable giving him on a team that is already overloaded with bad contracts we need to slowly get rid of AND we have kids in the system who are less dynamic but more controlled who will probably reach a level not far off Smith's pretty soon.

As for Holland, we have no idea what will happen next, as he's never been in this situation before. Personally I expect him to give a few kids a look once missing the playoffs is confirmed, and then sign some low cost short contract vets (1 or 2) in the summer to have another go at squeezing into the playoffs, before flipping them for picks when we fall short again. Not attempting to rebuild on the fly the same way as before, but not tanking either...

Just now, Jonas Mahonas said:

We are doomed to mediocrity if Holland does that.

In the short term and with a better coach, yes. But his mandate at the moment is to try to get us in the playoffs while simultaneously bringing one or two new kids onto the roster a year. At least we now know if next year is a disaster too that he'll sell what he can, and he's also said if its 3 in a row its full tankathon time. 

Of course much will be influenced by who we lose in the expansion draft and how the lottery for picks goes. We get lucky and this team will be too good to fail next year. We fall and have to take a longer term prospect with upside and it'll be lottery time next year too regardless of any cheap UFAs

15 hours ago, joesuffP said:

Now that's how you troll in 2017 ^^ elaborate, nobody can quite tell if their serious, beautiful. Bill Bazerich, you can learn a lot from this guy. Trolling is all about quality not quantity

Hahhaahahah. This post was hilarious. Good one Joe. 

Just now, Jonas Mahonas said:

I really think we are 4 years away.  We need 2 defenseman and 2 forwards that are all top calibur.

4 years away from making the playoffs? Being contenders? Or winning a cup?

4 hours ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

I really think we are 4 years away.  We need 2 defenseman and 2 forwards that are all top calibur.

I guess 4 years is what I mean by Medium term...I'd certainly say 3-4 years is the minimum to make us really competitive again, and that is with some luck and some good management.

On 3/4/2017 at 8:31 AM, lomekian said:

Bless your little cotton socks.  You prize material wealth and that is apparently going well for you. Have a biscuit. Any of us who try to pass judgement on others due to their ability to succeed in our priorities is, for want of a more nuanced phrase, an idiot. Me? I jacked in my managerial career a decade ago to do things I love that pay me very very badly. I suspect that I am in a worse financial situation that most posters on this board in absolute terms. I'm also by far the happiest I've been in my life, and look forward to every day. What I do that I love may be of no interest to anyone else on here.

Also, technically, financial wealth in the investment markets are only ever a few hacks and technical and security breakdowns from being meaningless...;-)

Oh my God what an incredibly stupid thing to say about investments. Is this some of that "working class wisdom" someone mentioned earlier? Obviously you have no investments to speak of and/or know nothing about them. Remember Brexit? I lost about 2% of my total investments in a day. Why, because I have a well balanced asset allocation. 101 investment there bucko. Instead of running for the hills I bought even more international stock index funds (always buy low and sell high) and I have made a killing - about $200k.

Perhaps my late reply serves my point. Rather than wasting endless hours writing 1000-2000 word simple minded tomes and believing my self-esteem, or anything of any real-world value, is tied to my participation in something as banal as a hockey forum, I have spent the past few months being a productive member of society and increasing my net worth. 

So many of your long-winded assumptions are so simple minded and utterly predictable.

1. That I am a phoney. Trust me I have money. Am I the richest person you ever met? Of course not. However, I make a good six figure salary, have saved/invested 30% or more of my salary for 25 years resulting in a multiple seven figure retirement fund. If that makes you envious, then get off your a$$ ike I did.

2. That I only value money and am a sad lonely person. I have an advanced degree and paid for 100% of my education myself. My work has benefited people both directly and invaluably as well as collectively in via published and highly cited research contributing to human knowledge. I did none of this alone, but with many other hard working people. I could have made MUCH more in industry. I have plenty of friends and family too. Money is not the end for me, it is the means to have control of my life so I can help those I care about.

My point from the beginning was this forum has its little in-groups and self-anointed gurus whose big accomplishment in life has been exceeding the 1,000 post mark. Can you imagine these jokers doing this at “work” all day? Some job huh? if you find yourself thinking this is a good job to have, I have a hint. Loser.

For those aspiring to be “in” - there is a better way. Accomplish something REAL in the WORLD. When you do, like I have, your forum heroes are revealed as a sad pathetic joke. People who spend what must be an hour or two a day posting “well crafted” arguments that accomplish... what? Absolutely zero. Take that same hour or two a day toward learning R, SQL, Python, html… and add some math, statistics or business. In six months to a year, instead of racking up a collection of meaningless online hockey buddies (and adversaries), you will open the door to making good money, having a real career and being your own boss.

It is plain as day. Your "leaders" here are real life losers. 

23 minutes ago, lwing said:

Oh my God what an incredibly stupid thing to say about investments. Is this some of that "working class wisdom" someone mentioned earlier? Obviously you have no investments to speak of and/or know nothing about them. Remember Brexit? I lost about 2% of my total investments in a day. Why, because I have a well balanced asset allocation. 101 investment there bucko. Instead of running for the hills I bought even more international stock index funds (always buy low and sell high) and I have made a killing - about $200k.

Perhaps my late reply serves my point. Rather than wasting endless hours writing 1000-2000 word simple minded tomes and believing my self-esteem, or anything of any real-world value, is tied to my participation in something as banal as a hockey forum, I have spent the past few months being a productive member of society and increasing my net worth. 

So many of your long-winded assumptions are so simple minded and utterly predictable.

1. That I am a phoney. Trust me I have money. Am I the richest person you ever met? Of course not. However, I make a good six figure salary, have saved/invested 30% or more of my salary for 25 years resulting in a multiple seven figure retirement fund. If that makes you envious, then get off your a$$ ike I did.

2. That I only value money and am a sad lonely person. I have an advanced degree and paid for 100% of my education myself. My work has benefited people both directly and invaluably as well as collectively in via published and highly cited research contributing to human knowledge. I did none of this alone, but with many other hard working people. I could have made MUCH more in industry. I have plenty of friends and family too. Money is not the end for me, it is the means to have control of my life so I can help those I care about.

My point from the beginning was this forum has its little in-groups and self-anointed gurus whose big accomplishment in life has been exceeding the 1,000 post mark. Can you imagine these jokers doing this at “work” all day? Some job huh? if you find yourself thinking this is a good job to have, I have a hint. Loser.

For those aspiring to be “in” - there is a better way. Accomplish something REAL in the WORLD. When you do, like I have, your forum heroes are revealed as a sad pathetic joke. People who spend what must be an hour or two a day posting “well crafted” arguments that accomplish... what? Absolutely zero. Take that same hour or two a day toward learning R, SQL, Python, html… and add some math, statistics or business. In six months to a year, instead of racking up a collection of meaningless online hockey buddies (and adversaries), you will open the door to making good money, having a real career and being your own boss.

I dont know what's worse, a person creating a fake persona on a message board and trying to push it forward 6 months after he had a hissy fit?

Or, a person who really is successful seeking validation on a message board.

Either way, both are sad. Just stop. Or go on another rant about how great you are, I really don't care :lol:

2 hours ago, lwing said:

Sir, "good boy points" your mommy gives you for picking up your basement bedroom are not "investments" or actually even real money.

Let us know what you cash all those GBPs in for though. I suggest a big plate of chicken tendies. Tyson brand. Yummy yummy

On 9/11/2017 at 5:37 PM, krsmith17 said:

How has this loser not been banned yet?

Dont be so hard on Jonas bro, he's a teddy bear on the inside.

-----

Btw this new guy makes shocky2002 seem like a noob troll. 

Edited by kickazz