• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Jersey Wing

What is dead may never die -- Best moments from 'The Streak'

Rate this topic

The streak is over, let's all be adults about this. This is ONE case where looking back on a generation (no, a real generation so says science) of titles, records, player awards, famous fights, tragic incidents, retired numbers, along with the losses of Gordie and Mr. I, et al. is worthwhile.

Let's celebrate today

Besides the winning of the cups, what are your favorite five or most impressionable memories from THE STREAK?
(John Belushi from SNL as "The Thing That Wouldn't Leave")

ThingWouldntLeave_DrJeckylMrRogers_SNP.jpg

Edited by Jersey Wing

These were my favorite moments, in no particular order, just in order of when I think of them :lol:

-Fight night at The Joe

-Yzerman in the 2002 Playoffs

-Beating the Avs 7-0 in Game 7

-The Comeback in Game 2 of the 1998 Cup Final

-DMac's 2008 comeback

Those were the first 5 I thought of, and the fun thing is, there's many more. We've had an incredible run.

My favourite moments were probably the back to back matches with Shawn Michaels.

Ohhhh wrong streak sorry ;)

Off the top of my head

1) 2008 Game 5 double OT. I was there in person, and at one point the Wings were 1min away from winning the cup (until stupid Pittsburgh scored). The energy for that moment prior to the goal was the craziest feeling I have ever experienced in person.

2) Yzerman scoring against St. Louis in OT in '96

3) 1995 Playoff run - it was the first time I had ever seen them have success in the playoffs, especially after the heartbreakers against SJ and TO the two previous seasons.

4) Franzen 4 (almost 5) goal performance against SJ

Wings winning back to back cups led the captain
Winning the cup in 2008 on the opponent's ice
Goose having a rookie season for the ages when Z and Pasha were on Ltir a few years ago
Russian 5 toying with the opponent's
Dmac making Lemieux his ***** and Shanahan flying into Roy
Wings lighting up Roy in Montreal
Perfect human Hattrick
Mr. I raising his first cup as an owner
Last but not least tears when the captain retired

So overall a great history of excellence but it's time to build towards a new one. Thankfully it doesn't really matter that it ends this year nobody can take away all those memories from me.

Since I wasn't able to watch our cup victories my greatest memory of the streak Game 6 2011 against the Sharks.

Wings went down 3:0 early in the series, so every game counted. The won the next two and then traveled to the Joe. A hard fought hockey ensued over the first two periods. Wings put pressure on the Sharks but no goal. The the Sharks lit the lamp with 9 minutes to go in the 3rd. And then this happened:

I have never seen the Joe going this nuts before and ever since.

Playoff hockey, I already miss you.

- Fight Night at the Joe - Turned the entire tide of the franchise. Thank you Darren McCarty, your assbeating brought the team and fan base together like never seen before. 

- Game 4 of 97 finals

- Game 4 of 98 finals

- Game 5 of 02 finals

- Game 6 of 08 finals

- The Euro-Twin era. My god were they fun to watch together 2003-2016. Best chemistry I've seen in hockey to date specifically in their prime years. 

- Everything Sergei Fedorov did

- Every time I saw #19 on ice, most fluid player I've ever seen play. 

And those we're my countless best moments of "The Streak" every minute of the above list was beautiful. 

Edited by kickazz

20 hours ago, derblaueClaus said:

Since I wasn't able to watch our cup victories my greatest memory of the streak Game 6 2011 against the Sharks.

Wings went down 3:0 early in the series, so every game counted. The won the next two and then traveled to the Joe. A hard fought hockey ensued over the first two periods. Wings put pressure on the Sharks but no goal. The the Sharks lit the lamp with 9 minutes to go in the 3rd. And then this happened:

I have never seen the Joe going this nuts before and ever since.

Playoff hockey, I already miss you.

Great game for sure!

As a some what older Wings fan, I've been a fan since 1989, Game 3 of the 1997 Stanley Cup final, was I time I remember the Joe going completely nuts, similar to Game 6 in 2011!

I'll always remember this goal by Lapointe, I still get chills watching it 20 years later, how he hit the post, scores on a second try a few seconds later, and the reaction of the fans.

1. 97 Cup

2. 98 Cup

3. 02 Cup

4. 08 Cup

5. 25 years of amazing hockey and the gift of cheering for a franchise with such great players, coaches and fans.