• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
FireCaptain

Red Wings trade Vanek to FLA for (D) Dylan McIlrath and Conditional 3rd Round Pick

Rate this topic

1 minute ago, joesuffP said:

Any chance this dman plays for us? Replaces Ericsson after he gets bought out

Rugged third pairing guy with some real snarl with a desire to prove himself and stick with a team. 

Why the hell not?

4 minutes ago, SwedeLundin77 said:

This guy seems like more of a career AHLer.... Not at all impressed with this move, considering we got a better return for Smith.

He cleared waivers this year.  Was traded from New York to Florida for a 7th rounder and some old crappy player.  About all you need to know.

Maybe we could have traded Vanek for Marchenko..

The irrationality and double standards that fans on this forum have blows my mind.  

To believe that Holland, who has GM'ed for 20 years, doesn't know how to get decent returns for his assets by letting the market speak is absurd.  It would be incompetence on an epic scale.  Sure, he may not have been a seller at the deadline before, but it doesn't mean he hasn't been around the block a few hundred times, been involved in countless negotiations, seen first hand how other teams have handled their deadline deals.  The guy is extremely experienced. 

That said, I am NOT some Holland apologist and it is fine to disagree with general team decisions and direction (which in many cases I do).  But to say that Holland butchered the Vanek trade and took way less than other teams would've offered is truly laughable.

McKenzie says we retain 50% of Vanek's salary. That seems unnecessary since he doesn't make all that much. That aspect doesn't matter much, though. I guess there wasn't much of a demand for Vanek. Surprising.

I expected more return, but I don't know anything about Mcilrath so if he's a solid piece, my opinion would change. Apparently he's starting in Grand Rapids.

24 minutes ago, F.Michael said:

Mcilrath is a bottom pairing guy...A big thug with minimal NHL ability...He'll clear the crease, play the body, block some shots, and punch some faces, but that's probably about it.

Even so - I'll look forward to seeing him do his thing.

We could definitely use someone who actually does that. 

26 minutes ago, F.Michael said:

Mcilrath is a bottom pairing guy...A big thug with minimal NHL ability...He'll clear the crease, play the body, block some shots, and punch some faces, but that's probably about it.

Go to a Griffins game then, the kid doesn't look like an NHL player

6 minutes ago, PavelValerievichDatsyuk said:

McKenzie says we retain 50% of Vanek's salary. That seems unnecessary since he doesn't make all that much. That aspect doesn't matter much, though. I guess there wasn't much of a demand for Vanek. Surprising.

I expected more return, but I don't know anything about Mcilrath so if he's a solid piece, my opinion would change. Apparently he's starting in Grand Rapids.

Depends on FLA's cap situation.  Either way, it's pretty meaningless for us... and yeah, just goes to show that the demand for Vanek wasn't as much as we all hoped and certainly not what NHL's finest trade prognosticators speculated.

I just like the fact that he's cut from a different mold than our other D.  When was the last time we had a big bodied d-man with some real snarl.  (Nobody better point to Ericsson)

27 minutes ago, F.Michael said:

If he actually is allowed to do these things then I will be ok. But I hate losing scoring no matter what form it came in....

The vitriol being spewed here is ridiculous.  I'm far from a Holland fan with his moves the last couple years, but you can only get what teams are willing to pay.  Unless something comes out that conclusively proves that Holland could have gotten a better deal earlier and he passed, I think it's safe to assume that there wasn't as much interest in Vanek as we thought there might be.  I stand by what I said earlier, it's better to get a third for him than keep him and lose him for nothing because they wanted a first instead.

46 minutes ago, Wingnut1989 said:

ya well the charizard helps you win the tournament 

45 minutes ago, greenrebellion said:

We won't be making the playoffs though :)

Lol exactly, gotta be in the tournament to win it. And in this case our tournament is the lottery, and a Vanek doesn't help you win that.

On a side note, I'm wondering if the retained salary is a goodwill to say "we're still here come July 1st". Vanek did say he was enjoying it here and hoped to stay. I mean if Florida makes the playoffs and Vanek doesn't pan out, they don't really lose anything; we get an Arizona pick and potentially Vanek back as a UFA. Not that I'd necessarily take him beyond the fact he's a good Austrian boy!

2 minutes ago, hillbillywingsfan said:

If he actually is allowed to do these things then I will be ok. But I hate losing scoring no matter what form it came in....

Vanek wasn't going to be scoring goals for the Wings next year anyway most likely.  Losing him now is meaningless

Lot of folks are making a fool of themselves with their absurd reactions. 

1. We don't know what offers were being given for Vanek.

1b.. Stop acting like you know, you don't know jack s***. 

2. Some of you (including me) overestimated Vanek's worth.

3 Vanek clearly said he's going to explore free agency so holding on to him would have been pointless. 

4. Having a big depth defenseman never hurts, we have too many small ones, it adds another dimension.

5. He's a former 10th pick, what makes you think we can't turn his career around?

6. You were likely looking to ***** about Holland and the previous two deals he made was making your ego hurt big time. The Vanek deal is your trigger to resume the whining. 

7. If you think Holland is incompetent, get used to it, he's in this for the long run it looks like. He officially just started the rebuild, they're going to give him years to see how it progresses.

1 minute ago, DickieDunn said:

Vanek wasn't going to be scoring goals for the Wings next year anyway most likely.  Losing him now is meaningless

meh whatever... I don't like it much unless he is allowed to fight and be disruptive which we haven't seen in years and years. Players like that come to the wings and get neutered not only by the coaching but the new style fan who can't stomach fighting and rough stuff. haha 

4 hours ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

Why the hell was holland in such a rush to make this garbage deal? Couldn't of waited till vrbata was gone?

i can't take ken holland anymore , he needs to f***en get lost

Buyers dictate the cost of rentals. In the end, all a GM can do is accept the best offer they have. This is why I hoped to see this trade happen a couple days ago. The returns get smaller on deadline day. Teams overpay a few days before the deadline to ensure they get their player.

No doubt it's probably the best he could've got. It's just crazy a s***ty smith That can barely hold a spot on one of the worst defensive teams in the league can grab a 2nd and a 20+ goal scorer on one of the worst offensive teams in the league  can only get you a 3rd. 

Edited by brett

1 minute ago, brett said:

No doubt it's probably the best he could've got. It's just crazy a s***ty smith That can barely hold a spot on one of the worst defensive teams in the league can grab a 2nd and a 20+ goal scorer on one of the worst offensive teams in the league  can only get you a 3rd. 

On its face, I agree the values look way off.  But keep in mind that Smith is young and likely to extend.  Vanek is much older and likely to test free agency.  

Finally, add in the fact that Vanek has a long history of completely disappearing in the playoffs, and you can begin to see the full picture here.

I don't like this trade... Nice to have big shutdown D but McIlarth is an average AHL'er nothing more and 3rd rounder... well Jurco was traded for 3rd rounder.

Scary part is that Vanek was one of the best player this year and we got only 3rd and an average AHL'er... and I would like to have him as a bottom Def if he can skate and play some hockey.

"She" needs to get traded right ******* now in order to clean this mess. I would also like to see some longterm contracts traded... 

Saw this guy several times when he played for NYR. Reminded me a lot of Ericsson, and he was a mediocre scrapper. He can hold his own, but his fighting abilities were about as impressive as his game, and I read he cleared waivers twice this season. The pick is about all Detroit got out of this deal. Hard to believe. I would have held out for a better deal, and if one did not materialize so be it. 

19 minutes ago, Datsyukian-Deke said:

If Holland's quote is true then I guess we can't fault him. 

IMG_0484.PNG

Oh so now he's lying to us too?!?!!

/sarcasm 

Hopefully Florida makes the playoffs. That would give us what will probably be the 64th pick. 

54 minutes ago, greenrebellion said:

The irrationality and double standards that fans on this forum have blows my mind.  

To believe that Holland, who has GM'ed for 20 years, doesn't know how to get decent returns for his assets by letting the market speak is absurd.  It would be incompetence on an epic scale.  Sure, he may not have been a seller at the deadline before, but it doesn't mean he hasn't been around the block a few hundred times, been involved in countless negotiations, seen first hand how other teams have handled their deadline deals.  The guy is extremely experienced. 

That said, I am NOT some Holland apologist and it is fine to disagree with general team decisions and direction (which in many cases I do).  But to say that Holland butchered the Vanek trade and took way less than other teams would've offered is truly laughable.

It's the sum of his ineptitude over the last 5-7 years. Bad contracts. Playing it safe. Losing Babcock. Not moving up to make room for Yzerman. Just some really bad moves.