• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
FireCaptain

Red Wings trade Vanek to FLA for (D) Dylan McIlrath and Conditional 3rd Round Pick

Rate this topic

Holland got fleeced, unless that was the best offer he got. Vanek does have a habit of dissapearing in the playoffs, and and will want quite a bit to re-sign. But really, a trade for a Dman who has spent most of his ten year pro career in the minors? Looks like he was in the Rangers system and had one season where he played a decent amount of NHL games. Other than that, nothing. 

I recall his name from awhile back. He's a big tough guy, but not that great a skater, and is prone to snapping out and taking stupid penalties. He probably won't see much time with the Wings unless he changes some things. They won't ice a guy who plays that way. As a fan, I def welcome a player with his size and toughness that can really fight, but not if he's going to be more of a liability than Kronwall or Errorsson when it comes to playing the game. 

The 3rd rounder is cool. Piling up picks is good good. But instead of the player+3rd plus retaining $1.3 mill in salary, a 2nd straight up would have been a lot better.

Oh well. They can't all be winners, right Kenny?

38 minutes ago, kliq said:

Not sure if anyone posted this or not, but for those complaining about Dylan Mcllrath, I think he was just a throw in so Florida could make cap. He is a UFA after this season. Think of this trade as essentially Vanek for a 3rd rounder.

Yeah I don't see him ever playing a game with the Wings. Total opposite of the players they like, plus pretty much a career minor leaguer, injury prone, prone to dumb penalties, etc.

Vanek for a 3rd sucks. Especially with the $1.3 mill in retained salary.

Edited by chaps80

Holland got fleeced, unless that was the best offer he got. Vanek does have a habit of dissapearing in the playoffs, and and will want quite a bit to re-sign. But really, a trade for a Dman who has spent most of his ten year pro career in the minors?

McIlrath started playing pro hockey at 14?

The retained salary is irrelevant. They won't need the cap space and it's gone for next year. And that likely is the best offer. Florida probably needed to send a player for contract limit reasons.

Sent from my LGLS676 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, chaps80 said:

Holland got fleeced, unless that was the best offer he got. Vanek does have a habit of dissapearing in the playoffs, and and will want quite a bit to re-sign. But really, a trade for a Dman who has spent most of his ten year pro career in the minors? Looks like he was in the Rangers system and had one season where he played a decent amount of NHL games. Other than that, nothing. 

I recall his name from awhile back. He's a big tough guy, but not that great a skater, and is prone to snapping out and taking stupid penalties. He probably won't see much time with the Wings unless he changes some things. They won't ice a guy who plays that way. As a fan, I def welcome a player with his size and toughness that can really fight, but not if he's going to be more of a liability than Kronwall or Errorsson when it comes to playing the game. 

The 3rd rounder is cool. Piling up picks is good good. But instead of the player+3rd plus retaining $1.3 mill in salary, a 2nd straight up would have been a lot better.

Oh well. They can't all be winners, right Kenny?

Yeah I don't see him ever playing a game with the Wings. Total opposite of the players they like, plus pretty much a career minor leaguer, injury prone, prone to dumb penalties, etc.

Vanek for a 3rd sucks. Especially with the $1.3 mill in retained salary.

Do you think Holland turned down a better offer??? Honestly?  Not trying to be rude but everything that came from the media said the offers just weren't there and there is a lot of info out there as to why that was the case. As far as all the wingers the offers weren't there, add in the fact he is a specialty player

As far as the picks go you point out would it have been better to just get the 2nd. Ill say yes and no, depending on who the pick is coming from. We ended up with a 3rd and a D "prospect" who can help in the AHL and maybe play 7th in the NHL next season if he puts the injuries behind him and protect guys like AA and Larkin. The key to the whole thing is Florida making the playoffs. If Florida makes playoffs we get Arizonas pick which could be as early as 63-65ish?

As for a straight 2nd Florida obviously wasn't giving it up, so say a team like Chicago or Pitt did. So they go on Win the cup or right outside of it. That second ends up being pick 59-62. 

so our options were:

63-65ish and McIlrath

or

59-62ish

I know where I fall. I think people get too hung up on the round number when the key number is the overall.

If this draft got me excited about one thing. It is the Idea of Green being a Rental next season. The Idea of having a PP Dman for sale on the deadline next season for another pick in the 2018 draft is exciting. Detroit is going to be making a lot of picks the next 2 seasons. and hopefully that includes 2 top 5 picks this year and next. 

15 minutes ago, kickazz said:

Our third pairing should be Ericsson and Dylan 

E is done. With the acquistion of Dylan we now have more qualified RHers than LHers (finally).

On the right: Dylan, Green, Jensen, Sproul

On the left: Dekeyser, Kronwall, Ericsson, Ouellet

Ill take the right side thank you

4 minutes ago, F.Michael said:

Lord Mcilrath - foil for your knuckles?

And a scotch for your nerves?

2 hours ago, Bolgar said:

I recall some people here wanted us to draft McIlrath in 2010...

I wasn't here around that time but I was one of the people wanting McIlrath very very happy to have this guy. Now looking forward to plugs like Komarov trying to run over Howard, Mrazek or Coreau again or even trying to look at one of the Wings smaller forwards and not thinking about McIlrath. Have fun next time the Wings and Bruins meet Marchand...

@Nyquististhefuture:

LA basically paid nothing for Iginla a guy who is beloved around the league, known for his leadership and work-ethic while Vanek is a soon to be UFA, with a bad reputation around the league, 33 years old, not exactly known as a gym-rat and he is playing for another (bigger) contract so given all of that expecting a first and maybe even a slight plus was never realistic. A 2nd round pick would have been nice but keep in mind if Florida makes the playoffs the Wings are getting the pick from Arizona which would be a very early third and at that range there really isn't much difference between the players, all are going to need years of development.

McIlrath is basically a third pairing defensive defenseman making sure the Wings are tougher to play against and he doesn't come with a huge caphit.

Edited by frankgrimes

2 hours ago, Bolgar said:

I recall some people here wanted us to draft McIlrath in 2010...

Maybe that's why his name sounds familiar.. I might've been one of those. But to be fair, he was basically thought of as the next coming of Scott Stevens when being drafted. Somewhere along the way his development either got derailed or he was projected too high. 

Either way, looks like he has about a two month trial with the Griffins. Hopefully he does well. 

I'd be shocked if McIlrath plays a single game with the Red Wings. He's a UFA after this season and if he is re-signed (I doubt he will be), it will be strictly to play in Grand Rapids. The only thing he can do is punch faces, he's not a hockey player...

42 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

So why was he part of the deal? It's not like they had to include him in the trade...we asked for him for some reason. I Hope NOT Just to stay in GR for a month...if so, then kudos Kenny, kudos... 

I'd expect Dylan to be called up, if not, we got even more raped on DL day. 

Minor leaguer's are involved in trades all the time. Holland did lose this trade in my opinion, but maybe that is all he could get for Vanek. If that is the case, I'm happy he got a 3rd for him, rather than nothing. Bottom line is that Vanek needed to be traded regardless of what kind of return he would get. Not impressed by the trade at all, but good on Holland for getting something...

Minor leaguer's are involved in trades all the time. Holland did lose this trade in my opinion, but maybe that is all he could get for Vanek. If that is the case, I'm happy he got a 3rd for him, rather than nothing. Bottom line is that Vanek needed to be traded regardless of what kind of return he would get. Not impressed by the trade at all, but good on Holland for getting something...

So he lost, unless he didn't. Makes perfect sense. Not much reason to think he could have gotten more. GMs know what Vanek is, and he's not a stud.

Florida probably needed to move a contract to make room for Vanek.

Sent from my LGLS676 using Tapatalk