• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
FireCaptain

Red Wings trade Vanek to FLA for (D) Dylan McIlrath and Conditional 3rd Round Pick

Rate this topic

5 minutes ago, DickieDunn said:

So he lost, unless he didn't . Makes perfect sense. Not much reason to think he could have gotten more. GMs know what Vanek is, and he's not a stud.

Florida probably needed to move a contract to make room for Vanek.

Sent from my LGLS676 using Tapatalk

No idea what this even means... I think Holland lost this trade. That doesn't mean he shouldn't have made the trade or that he could have gotten more. I think Vanek is more valuable to a team going on a playoff run, than a 3rd round pick and a minor leaguer is to us. However, I also think the return is better than nothing, so I'm glad he pulled the trigger. What's so hard to understand about that?...

Also, Florida didn't need to move a contract. They're nowhere near the cap or the roster limit. McIlrath was just a throw-in, that will likely sign elsewhere this summer...

18 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

No idea what this even means... I think Holland lost this trade. That doesn't mean he shouldn't have made the trade or that he could have gotten more. I think Vanek is more valuable to a team going on a playoff run, than a 3rd round pick and a minor leaguer is to us. However, I also think the return is better than nothing, so I'm glad he pulled the trigger. What's so hard to understand about that?...

Also, Florida didn't need to move a contract. They're nowhere near the cap or the roster limit. McIlrath was just a throw-in, that will likely sign elsewhere this summer...

I'm confused.  You believe that Holland should have traded Vanek (because he's got little worth to us over the course of the remainder of the season and more value to a playoff team) and that he probably couldn't get more for him (a third round pick and minor league player ARE more valuable to us in the FUTURE than Vanek is to us now) and yet somehow we still lost this trade.  ?? 

Say what you mean kr... "You wish/hoped that Holland would have gotten more, but couldn't." 

That isn't win or lose.  It just is or isn't.  He can make the trade for what he is offered or he can sit on his hands and get nothing for a guy who doesn't really help us now and probably won't help us later. Unless you believe Holland missed the boat on a better offer earlier and overplayed his hand. (...Which I don't see you as one of those conspiracy theory guys..)

We won't really see who won or lost this trade until we see what FLA does with Vanek for the remainder of the season and the playoffs (if they make it.  fingers crossed.) and what we do with that pick and if McIlrath has a future with the Wings franchise. 

Maybe it'll be a win/win situation.  Wouldn't that be nice for e'rrybody.

Edited by e_prime

32 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

You said he lost, but maybe that's all he could have gotten.  If that was the best offer he got, then he didn't lose, we just overestimated Vanek's value.

Edited by DickieDunn

3 minutes ago, DickieDunn said:

You said he lost, but maybe that's all he could have gotten.  If that was the best offer he got, then he didn't lose, we just overestimated Vanek's value.

At first I thought we lost as well, but after reading analysis and seeing what other wingers went for I agree Holland did the best he could.

35 minutes ago, e_prime said:

I'm confused.  You believe that Holland should have traded Vanek (because he's got little worth to us over the course of the remainder of the season and more value to a playoff team) and that he probably couldn't get more for him (a third round pick and minor league player ARE more valuable to us in the FUTURE than Vanek is to us now) and yet somehow we still lost this trade.  ?? 

Say what you mean kr... "You wish/hoped that Holland would have gotten more, but couldn't." 

That isn't win or lose.  It just is or isn't.  He can make the trade for what he is offered or he can sit on his hands and get nothing for a guy who doesn't really help us now and probably won't help us later. Unless you believe Holland missed the boat on a better offer earlier and overplayed his hand. (...Which I don't see you as one of those conspiracy theory guys..)

We won't really see who won or lost this trade until we see what FLA does with Vanek for the remainder of the season and the playoffs (if they make it.  fingers crossed.) and what we do with that pick and if McIlrath has a future with the Wings franchise. 

Maybe it'll be a win/win situation.  Wouldn't that be nice for e'rrybody.

I base the winner of any trade on who got more to help their team, not what the individual teams got vs what they lost... Basically, I think Vanek will help the Panthers on their playoff run more than the 3rd round pick or McIlrath will help us on our rebuild. The market obviously wasn't there for Vanek, which is why we had to take what we could get.

I agree with the bolded. We won't know who won this trade until after we see how Vanek does with Florida, or even until after we see how the player we take with that 3rd round pick turns out. All trades including prospects / picks take years to truly evaluate, but that doesn't mean you can't judge who you "think" will win the trade... I think Florida won this trade.

16 minutes ago, kliq said:

At first I thought we lost as well, but after reading analysis and seeing what other wingers went for I agree Holland did the best he could.

Holland did do the best he could, but we still come out on the "losing" end of this trade in my opinion. Florida will likely get a "better bang for their buck".

I think any time a team gets fair value for a rental player that can help their team for a playoff run, it's a win.

My only question was if Holland asked for him, then he should be called up, ya?

If he never gets called up and leaves as a ufa, then what was the point of him being involved. Did Florida have to move a contract, maybe adding Vanek would've put them over the max contracts allowed?

Nevermind that, they gave 46 players under contract, max is 50. Holland must've asked for him..bring him up!

Edited by LeftWinger

2 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

If he never gets called up and leaves as a ufa, then what was the point of him being involved. Did Florida have to move a contract, maybe adding Vanek would've put them over the max contracts allowed?

No they didn't.

16 minutes ago, kliq said:

For those wondering about the Vanek trade, here is what the experts are saying:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/panthers-acquire-vanek-from-red-wings~1067932

Note, you cant watch this unless you are in Canada.

This is discrimination

3 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

I base the winner of any trade on who got more to help their team, not what the individual teams got vs what they lost... Basically, I think Vanek will help the Panthers on their playoff run more than the 3rd round pick or McIlrath will help us on our rebuild. The market obviously wasn't there for Vanek, which is why we had to take what we could get.

I agree with the bolded. We won't know who won this trade until after we see how Vanek does with Florida, or even until after we see how the player we take with that 3rd round pick turns out. All trades including prospects / picks take years to truly evaluate, but that doesn't mean you can't judge who you "think" will win the trade... I think Florida won this trade.

Holland did do the best he could, but we still come out on the "losing" end of this trade in my opinion. Florida will likely get a "better bang for their buck".

I think any time a team gets fair value for a rental player that can help their team for a playoff run, it's a win.

Too early to tell. Let's see what we get with the draft choice (it's also conditional so may become late 2nd pick basically), let's see if Vanek actually shows up in the playoffs for once, and let's see just how great New Dylan turns out.

2 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

He'll be called up.

For those wondering about the Vanek trade, here is what the experts are saying:
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/panthers-acquire-vanek-from-red-wings~1067932
Note, you cant watch this unless you are in Canada.

use a VPN and set the location to Canada.

No winger did return a lot other than Shattenkirk no team traded a first round pick..Reasons could be that the selling pieces weren't too great to begin with and teams are already planning for the expansion draft

24 minutes ago, frankgrimes said:

No winger did return a lot other than Shattenkirk no team traded a first round pick..Reasons could be that the selling pieces weren't too great to begin with and teams are already planning for the expansion draft

Does Shattenkirk play LW or RW? Maybe that's the difference. I think Vanek only plays RW now. Perhaps teams were more interested in LWs

Edited by ChristopherReevesLegs

1 hour ago, frankgrimes said:

That should work as well, though some sites recognize a VPN now a days. I had one in the past to watch Hulu, and it wouldn't let me.

Edited by kliq

7 minutes ago, BadgerBob said:

We need Paul Bissonnette to guide us through this rebuild.

Different era, but what did we do when we were rebuilding around Yzerman? We loaded up with bad boys like Probert and Kocur until we had the premium talent and could shed them.

If you're gonna be bad, be bad to the bone

17 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Different era, but what did we do when we were rebuilding around Yzerman? We loaded up with bad boys like Probert and Kocur until we had the premium talent and could shed them.

If you're gonna be bad, be bad to the bone

Yep. Call up All-Star John Scott and put him out there too. If the Wings are gonna suck, be the suck that's fun to watch. Tell Sean Avery we'll let him design all the team apparel if he comes and ruffles some feathers.

1 hour ago, BadgerBob said:

Yep. Call up All-Star John Scott and put him out there too. If the Wings are gonna suck, be the suck that's fun to watch. Tell Sean Avery we'll let him design all the team apparel if he comes and ruffles some feathers.

BTW love the profile pic

So we don't have more bad contracts than most teams, yet we have a max payroll and are one of the worst teams in the league...  sorry Kenny that doesn't jive.

1 hour ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Im at a restaurant at the moment