• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
FireCaptain

Red Wings trade Vanek to FLA for (D) Dylan McIlrath and Conditional 3rd Round Pick

Rate this topic

6 hours ago, chaps80 said:

LThat wasn't what I was implying. Obv a 3rd is better than a kick in the nuts, but Holland got a 3rd for spare part Jurco. You'd think Vanek would fetch more.

Chicago paid for Jurco because they thought he has potential and is young with an upside. Vanek is an older guy who has been hopping around teams with a dwindling NHL career and terrible playoff experience. 

Holland said he did the best he could in the Vanek deal, which means nobody wanted Vanek for anything better. I cannot believe you're actually blaming Holland because other teams didn't want to pay more for him. 

Edited by kickazz

54 minutes ago, kickazz said:

Chicago paid for Jurco because they thought he has potential and is young with an upside. Vanek is an older guy who has been hopping around teams with a dwindling NHL career and terrible playoff experience. 

Holland said he did the best he could in the Vanek deal, which means nobody wanted Vanek for anything better. I cannot believe you're actually blaming Holland because other teams didn't want to pay more for him. 

Holland has become a weak negotiator.  We need real strong man like Putin to make deals for us.  

57 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Patiently waiting for the photoshop of Holland's head on Putin's shirtless body riding the horse...

No.  Holland is the headless horseman at this point.  

Guy probably had his secretary handling the phone calls while he went to the parking lot to kick tires.  

3 hours ago, GMRwings1983 said:

Holland has become a weak negotiator.  We need real strong man like Putin to make deals for us.  

Agreed. But with the way things have been Holland is definitely better at negotiating than the current guy with the Red Hat in DC. 

1 hour ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Why are we not gunning for the #2 pick in the draft?  That's the big concern.  Beating Vancouver doesn't help us at all.

Players dont want to lose and playing to win. Blame the captain. 

Edited by kickazz

10 hours ago, chaps80 said:

That wasn't what I was implying. Obv a 3rd is better than a kick in the nuts, but Holland got a 3rd for spare part Jurco. You'd think Vanek would fetch more.

Jurco's an RFA after this year so he's not just a rental for the Blackhawks. That's a big difference in value for teams. It's a few years of a player vs. a few months.

6 hours ago, kickazz said:

I'm not blaming him. I guess "fleeced" was the wrong term. He took what he could get, and no one can fault him if that was the best offer.

Still disappointing. But, he did get a lot for Smith and Jurco, and a 6th for Ott, which were excellent moves. Maybe I got my expectations too high after those deals and all the talk of a possible first rounder.

I wonder if Vanek and Holland ever discussed an extension? I know he liked it in Detroit, but probably wanted too long a deal for too much money. Too bad. At his age he'd be looking for one more nice payday, and there's enough s***ty long term contracts on the books as it is. If someone throws $5 million per season at him (which I don't doubt), he'll actually be making over $10 million per season. I know it's not a good thing career wise to have your contract bought out due to lack of performance, but it must be nice to know you have millions rolling in for doing nothing. If I were him, i'd just retire after this season and kick it. Haha But I guess it's hard to turn down more easy money.

2 hours ago, PavelValerievichDatsyuk said:

Jurco's an RFA after this year so he's not just a rental for the Blackhawks. That's a big difference in value for teams. It's a few years of a player vs. a few months.

True, and the Hawks did overpay for a guy who's shown nothing at the NHL level. What if he gets offer sheeted by Holland? Haha we all know he loves bringing back players he traded or lost.

Vanek doesn't have to be a rental. I'm sure he'd stay in Florida for the right price since I doesn't look like teams are kicking in his door to try to sign him.

1 hour ago, chaps80 said:

True, and the Hawks did overpay for a guy who's shown nothing at the NHL level. What if he gets offer sheeted by Holland? Haha we all know he loves bringing back players he traded or lost.

Vanek doesn't have to be a rental. I'm sure he'd stay in Florida for the right price since I doesn't look like teams are kicking in his door to try to sign him.

But Vanek publicly that he's going to free agency to see what his options are (mlive article on trade speculation). I'm sure that was heard by everyone that thought about signing him at the deadline. Plus his history of not re-signing with the Islanders or The Habs when they picked him up in years past means that teams would have definitely valued him as a rental. 

4 minutes ago, PavelValerievichDatsyuk said:

But Vanek publicly that he's going to free agency to see what his options are (mlive article on trade speculation). I'm sure that was heard by everyone that thought about signing him at the deadline. Plus his history of not re-signing with the Islanders or The Habs when they picked him up in years past means that teams would have definitely valued him as a rental. 

Oh, I didn't see anything from Vanek saying he intends to test the market. Return makes more sense now. Too bad he didn't stay quiet about it till after the trade. Lol

On 3/3/2017 at 4:47 PM, chaps80 said:

Oh, I didn't see anything from Vanek saying he intends to test the market. Return makes more sense now. Too bad he didn't stay quiet about it till after the trade. Lol

Yeah, I remember thinking "keep your mouth shut vanek!" haha. Here's the section:

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2017/02/red_wings_thomas_vanek_prepare.html

"Vanek said there hasn't been much contract talk with the club. He would prefer to explore free agency on July 1.

"Really is no point to talk right now anyway," Vanek said. "July 1 is right around the corner. Again, like I said, it's a place that I like, but at the same time I might as well wait and see what's out there.""

Doesn't necessarily mean that he didn't want to sign with any team before July 1st, but it might be a red flag if the thought was to get a player and up your chances to re-sign them.

Although, teams don't really sign guys at the deadline with the thought of extending them often. And especially with the expansion draft and having to protect any signees, it's unlikely anyone would want to sign him before July 1st.

Edited by PavelValerievichDatsyuk

11 minutes ago, PavelValerievichDatsyuk said:

Yeah, I remember thinking "keep your mouth shut vanek!" haha. Here's the section:

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2017/02/red_wings_thomas_vanek_prepare.html

"Vanek said there hasn't been much contract talk with the club. He would prefer to explore free agency on July 1.

"Really is no point to talk right now anyway," Vanek said. "July 1 is right around the corner. Again, like I said, it's a place that I like, but at the same time I might as well wait and see what's out there.""

Doesn't necessarily mean that he didn't want to sign with any team before July 1st, but it would be a red flag.

Damn. Great way to say thanks to a GM who gave you a shot to turn your career around fresh from a performance based buyout on a pretty big contract. Those statements had to affect his trade value, possibly even more so than his past playoff performances. If Florida thought they had a shot at getting him on something like a 2-3 year deal at $4-5 million per, then he may have fetched a 2nd rounder or something instead of the 3rd and the throw in player.

Well if Vanek is only worth a 3rd and a minor leaguer, perhaps he won't get the high offers he's hoping for in July. Which means there is a possibility we could sign him again if he truly liked it here. Not saying we necessarily should, but getting a 3rd for him and then getting him back again I'm sure would make people feel better about the trade return.

8 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Well if Vanek is only worth a 3rd and a minor leaguer, perhaps he won't get the high offers he's hoping for in July. Which means there is a possibility we could sign him again if he truly liked it here. Not saying we necessarily should, but getting a 3rd for him and then getting him back again I'm sure would make people feel better about the trade return.

Yeah I was thinking he could come back as well. Would be cool. (Most of) One season wasn't enough. He and AA played great together..like to see a lot more of that.

I just noticed in that article where the writer said Vanek might fetch a 1st, and he should get the Wings at least a 2nd, if not multiple picks. Seems like quite a few thought he'd fetch a much better return than than did.

3 hours ago, Jacksoni said:

Hicketts on the left side, McIlrath on his right, let's see how they gel. In the AHL, of course.

Probably won't bear any fruit but I'm open to see what'll happen.

McIlrath played his first game last night paired with Renouf, and looks to be same pairings again tonight.

People have mentioned the possibility of McIlrath becoming the replacement for Ericsson *when Vegas takes him this summer*... Well he is wearing number 52 in GR, so maybe...

I'm hoping De Haas can develop into the steady stay at home defenseman to replace Ericsson, but he's at least another year or two away.

So 5 games into the Vanek trade and Vanek has 1 goal, 0 assists, and is (-6)......and Florida is 0-5.

Obviously the 0-5 part is not on Vanek and the team seems like its struggling in general, but I think based on how low Vanek's value was at the deadline, and how's he's doing now, unless he starts to tear it up we may be able to sign him on the cheap again this off-season.

If we trade one of Tatar/Nyquist, I am fine with that.

11 minutes ago, kliq said:

So 5 games into the Vanek trade and Vanek has 1 goal, 0 assists, and is (-6)......and Florida is 0-5.

Obviously the 0-5 part is not on Vanek and the team seems like its struggling in general, but I think based on how low Vanek's value was at the deadline, and how's he's doing now, unless he starts to tear it up we may be able to sign him on the cheap again this off-season.

If we trade one of Tatar/Nyquist, I am fine with that.

We should sign him and trade him again during the deadline, when we're way behind in the standings again.  :lol: