• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
DickieDunn

Grade the deadline

Rate this topic

5 hours ago, DickieDunn said:

Good?  Bad?  Indifferent?

I give him an A-.  I thought he had three jobs: trade Vanek, trade Smith, get what you can for anyone else.  He did all three.  He got more than expected for Jurco and Smith, less for Vanek, but overall did well.

Pretty much agree with you 100%. I can't give an A+ on account of the Vanek trade, but at the same time I believe he got the best possible. A+ would only be given if he deified the market. Overall I was really happy with Kenny.

3 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

D-

My reason explained in the deadline thread. Would've been an F, but he at least gather a couple extra picks. But when it comes to selling for a rebuild F, F and F.

The trade deadline is for mostly UFA's. Expecting others traded is just unrealistic unless the player is a can't miss. Even green may be more valuable next year as this season teams have to worry about his 6mil caphit for next year. 

Toronto did it right in the last couple years...they moved cap and opened up nhl roster spots to bring in new, young players to rebuild with. Holland got a few extra draft picks that won't see the nhl until 2021...if ever. He'll have ZERO room for new, young players next season,  and zero cap to sign anyone not already here that may take less to stay. 

6 hours ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Complete F.  

Failed Miserably.

What we lost:

Thomas Vanek.  Former 1st rounder, proven top 9 winger, on a more than reasonable salary.

Brendan Smith.  Former 1st rounder, proven top 6 NHL defenseman, on a more than reasonable salary, wanting to sign for a reasonable salary (4 mil per), with 7 years of Red Wings family history.

Tomas Jurco.  Prospect at best, reasonable salary, with 5 years of Red Wings family history.

Steve Ott.  Rental player, reasonable salary.

What we got in return:

Late 2nd round pick, 3 late 3rd round picks, late 6th round pick, and McGrath.  All of this could amount to ZERO NHL players very easily.  The goal this year was to gain picks that would help us get players that project into part of the rebuild.  Holland did not do that.  He waited til the last minute, as usual, and then made crappy deals at the last minute, as usual.  He is an imbecile.

F-

21 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

Toronto did it right in the last couple years...they moved cap and opened up nhl roster spots to bring in new, young players to rebuild with. Holland got a few extra draft picks that won't see the nhl until 2021...if ever. He'll have ZERO room for new, young players next season,  and zero cap to sign anyone not already here that may take less to stay. 

Did they do it all on Deadline day? Jurco is a roster player next year that was traded so that is 1 roster spot created.  Upfront, with Vanek, Miller, Ott and Jurco gone we have those 4 spots for young guys. Add to that the 1 spot that will be create from the Vegas draft makes 5. There was plenty of talk about Sheahan and I think there's a strong possibility that he'll be traded - maybe at the draft (just speculation, but I have a feeling). Add to that, we do have a lot of youth on the roster already...

I'll go with Dickie's A- or B+. We got less than I expected for Vanek (though other deals show I expected too much), but more than I expected from everyone else and the Jurco deal wasn't even on anyone's radar.

To add to perspective on Vanek, consider that we picked him up for minimal salary as a UFA, and now we've got a 3rd and a prospect out of an asset that pretty much cost us nothing. Was a great pickup from free agency.

Edited by PavelValerievichDatsyuk

Holland did surprisingly well for his first time being a deadline seller. Got more than expected for both Jurco and Smith, Ott was a fair swap, and Vanek he did alright, but I thought he'd fetch more. I was hoping for at least a 1st.

i'm glad he realized that the team was not going to make the playoffs and did the right thing, traded his assets, and started the (hopefully) official rebuild instead of standing pat and trying to hold on and find a way iin to keep The Streak going, which wouldn't have happened. And would have blown this chance to stockplie picks.

A- for Kenny for the deadline.

5 hours ago, Majsheppard said:

D

I do not understand how he can get so little for these players when others can get so much for their garbage.

The one that dragged the grade down was Smith.

Everyone continues to say how impossible it is to get Defensemen now.  They really are the gold of the realm, and you have a proven youngster with a lot of skill there when there are next to no other options and you don't get a first round pick out of it?  He didn't even wait until the biggest part of the deadline.  This feels like a trade that should have happened at 3:01 to me. 

Yes Smith isn't a stud.  His faults are defensively oriented and would vanish if paired with the right defenseman. The entire team is broken because there isn't the right people on the backend to build pairs.  This is the same problem with Green, who btw should have been moved as well if the goal was a true rebuild. 

Getting anything for forwards is tricky... but usually you can get a 2nd for someone like Vanek.  Getting a "basically a fourth" for him is crap in my book. 

I have been calling for Holland's head for years, I left the forum because people gave me too much crap about it.  I think it is clear he shouldn't be at the helm come draft time.

L

Lotto system, no it doesn't.

Welcome back. Everyone is super nice here now

4 hours ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

Coreau has earned the backup spot?how the f*** do you figure? If Howard or mrazek was gone he'd be the backup by default , kids played 12 games and hasn't earned s*** 

Coreau started out alright, but was still allowing a lot of goals. Then after a bit he just imploded. IF Howard gets moved this summer or taken by Vegas, then Coreau will get a shot at the backup role. There will be other camp invitees, and they may even sign a cheap vet backup for insurance. 

Jurco for a 3rd: A - guy couldn't make the wings starting lineup and Wings still got a 3rd pick for him great return

Smith for a 2nd and 3rd: A, awesome he would have been past his prime once the Wings compete again and his salary demands were too high for a team looking to rebuild and in need cap flexibility

Ott for a 6rd pick: Like the player and his never surrender attitude a lot getting a pick for him instead of future considerations makes this a very solid B

Vanek for 3rd, McIlrath: C, I think Holland did the best he could. Dreger and others were reporting there is not much interest in him and his reputation is not the best to put it lightly...So getting something for him is better than nothing. Do people honestly believe Holland turned down a better offer? That's insane. Fans expecting a 1st when all indications were pointing in different direction had too high expectations in my mind. the only guy who could have returned one to me would have been Green but his salary is too high for deadline deals...Hopefully he gets dealt in the summer closer to the draft

So overall I'm happy finally the Wings are sellers (should have been done in 2012), and hopefully committed to a real rebuild.

Good job by Holland maybe he waited too long to move Vanek but that's just speculation, so Overall a steady B

I give Holland a "B" for the deadline.  In my opinion he should have been trying to do three things.  In no particular order those things were:

1) Move UFAs

2) Get rid of bad contracts

3) Acquire high draft picks for the rebuild

He did one of those things.  As usual I thought he was fairly conservative, but that's par for the course.  Hopefully he can use these extra third rounders to "sweeten the deal" in the offseason and get people to trade for some of our worse contracts.  He's got a little currency now, I'm interested to see what he can do with it.  And do something with it he must, because he (and everybody else) knows you can't win with a core of mediocre, overpriced, role players, and a bunch of 3rd round picks.

With the expansion draft coming up, He was never going to get a good return for a non-rental. The assets worth selling would only be of interest to teams who view themselves as contenders but most of them have too many players that they want to protect already without giving up significant assets to get hold of more. Also, not many of our assets that we want to part with have shown themselves to be great playoff performers, so their value is less at this time of any season than at the off season.

It just made no sense to sell anyone now unless a suprisingly good offer came out of left-field. And given the return that any forward not names Hanzal, Eaves or Jansen recouped, that was not going to happen.

He did what he had to do, and got more for the weakest pieces than expected, so B+. Nothing to blow you away, but all good solid moves that fit in both reloading and broader rebuilding philosphies at this stage, giving more flexibility going forward.

Anyone expecting a first round pick for what the Wings were selling or thought he'd find a sucker to take on the bad contracts during the season had unrealistic expectations.  first round picks rarely get moved anymore, and teams aren't looking to add salary.  Unless a team takes a bad contract back in return or pays a team to take it by giving up[ extra assets, those don't get moved.

On 3/1/2017 at 8:23 PM, PavelValerievichDatsyuk said:

Did they do it all on Deadline day? Jurco is a roster player next year that was traded so that is 1 roster spot created.  Upfront, with Vanek, Miller, Ott and Jurco gone we have those 4 spots for young guys. Add to that the 1 spot that will be create from the Vegas draft makes 5. There was plenty of talk about Sheahan and I think there's a strong possibility that he'll be traded - maybe at the draft (just speculation, but I have a feeling). Add to that, we do have a lot of youth on the roster already...

I'll go with Dickie's A- or B+. We got less than I expected for Vanek (though other deals show I expected too much), but more than I expected from everyone else and the Jurco deal wasn't even on anyone's radar.

To add to perspective on Vanek, consider that we picked him up for minimal salary as a UFA, and now we've got a 3rd and a prospect out of an asset that pretty much cost us nothing. Was a great pickup from free agency.

Jurco was the #14 forward. Rarely sniffed the ice outside of practice. Vanek, Miller, Ott and Smith were not on the roster to start next season. They were all UFA's. I was hoping to move about $12M in salary off next season's roster in order to bring kids in maybe a UFA or two and properly rebuild. We will lose a player to Vegas, but if that player is Tatar, there is another player that already isn't showing on the roster next season. We only have $6M in cap space next season, without the mentioned FA's above. So trading the UFA's and losing Tatar to Vegas does nothing to give us anymore cap space or upgrading spots. We need to re-sign AA, Ouellet and quite possibly Tatar. It's going to be hard. I hope we lose about $4Mish to Vegas, then I hope Holland deals about $8M more over the summer off the roster. He can still buyout E and Howard if he cannot move them, the hit would be minimal compared to their current salaries, it'll just double up the years. E would be 4, Howard 6. But cap would be very low. This is my hope...I will wait and see what he does for the expansion and there after. If we start next season with the same team (minus one) as now, I will screamed until i cannot scream anymore!