• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
HockeytownRules19

Robbie Russo recalled!

Rate this topic

At this point Miller should not be playing another game, and Kronwall should rest for the remainder of the year. Hopefully Russo takes Kronwall's spot. We need to play the kids.

3 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

I'm excited to see Russo, just sucks that it's at the expense of Sproul. 

Just saw he was hurt....damn! Kid can't catch a break. I was really hoping he could use the next couple months to prove he is a top 6 D-man, or potentially top 4.

Edited by kliq

27 minutes ago, Wheelchairsuperhero said:

Can someone give me the low down on this kid? I've heard him talked about fondly on here a few times but I don't know much about him. 

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/robbie_russo/
History

2008-09: Robbie Russo played for the Chicago Mission Tier 1 AAA club, scoring 5 goals and adding 17 assists for 22 points in 46 games.

2009-10: Russo joined the U.S. NTDP program, splitting his time between the U-17 national team and the NTDP team in the USHL. In 52 games for the U-17 team, Russo scored 7 goals and added 24 assists for 31 points to go along with 58 minutes in penalties. In 34 USHL games, he scored 3 goals and added 17 assists for 20 points. Russo played for the USA’s gold medal team at the 2010 World U-17 Hockey Challenge, scoring 3 goals and adding 2 assists for 5 points in 6 games.

2010-11: Russo played for the U.S. NTDP squad competing in the USHL, where he picked up 6 assists in 24 games. Russo captained the USA’s gold medal squad at the 2011 U-18 World Junior Championship, scoring 1 goal and adding 7 assists for 8 points in 6 games. Russo has committed to the University of Notre Dame for the 2011-12 season. Russo was chosen in the sixth round, 132nd overall, of the 2011 KHL Draft by Locomotiv Yaroslavl.2008-09: Russo played for the Chicago Mission Tier 1 AAA club, scoring 5 goals and adding 17 assists for 22 points in 46 games.

2011-12: Russo stepped right into the lineup for Notre Dame as a freshman – skating in all 40 games for the Fighting Irish. Russo finished one point behind junior Sam Calabrese for the team lead in points amongst defensemen with 4 goals and 11 assists and was minus-seven with 14 penalty minutes. He scored all four of his goals on the power play. Notre Dame finished eighth in the CCHA and advanced to the league tournament quarterfinals against Michigan after sweeping a first round series with Ohio State.

2012-13: Russo skated in all 41 games for Notre Dame as a sophomore. He led Fighting Irish defensemen in scoring with 5 goals and 18 assists and was +6 with 40 penalty minutes. Notre Dame captured the CCHA tournament championship after finishing second to Miami in the regular season. The Fighting Irish fell to St. Cloud State in the NCAA Midwest Regional semifinals.

2013-14: Russo skated in 21 games for Notre Dame in his junior season at Notre Dame. He scored 4 goals with 11 assists and was +9 with 8 penalty minutes for the Fighting Irish before being declared academically ineligible in January. Notre Dame finished eighth in Hockey East in its first year in the conference. The Fighting Irish upset first-place Boston College in the conference tournament and received an at-large bid to the NCAA Tournament; falling to St. Cloud State, 4-3, in overtime in the NCAA West regional semifinals.

2014-15: Russo was the second-leading scorer for Notre Dame as a senior, trailing only forward Vince Hinostroza (Chicago) with 41 points. He scored 15 goals with 26 assists and was +13 with 20 penalty minutes in 40 games for the Fighting Irish. Notre Dame finished fifth in Hockey East; taking fourth-place Massachusetts-Lowell to three games in the Hockey East quarterfinals before falling 6-4 in the decisive third game and finishing 18-19-5. Russo was not signed by the Islanders, becoming an unrestricted free agent, and signed a two-year entry-level contract with Detroit in August 2015.

2015-16: Russo was the leading scorer amongst defensemen for Red Wings’ AHL affiliate Grand Rapids in his first pro season. He scored 5 goals with 34 assists and was +40 with 42 penalty minutes in 71 games. The Griffins finished fourth in the Central Division, reaching the playoffs for the fourth straight season. 

Talent Analysis

Russo is a very solid puck mover from the back end and is not afraid to use his body. He is also a great leader and a very hard worker. A free agent signee by the Red Wings after playing out his NCAA eligibility, Russo is a playmaker from the back end while playing a strong defensive game.

Future

Russo skated for Detroit AHL affiliate Grand Rapids in 2015-16, leading the team's defensemen in scoring as a rookie. Russo will push for a roster spot with the Red Wings in training camp in 2016-17 and projects as a middle pairing defenseman who can contribute to the attack and on the power play.

2 minutes ago, mackel said:

I wish they could convince Kronwall to be "injured" for the rest of the season... put him on "LTIR".  Then bring up another guy maybe McIlrath for an assessment.  

I'm looking forward to see Hicketts, but maybe it's better that we don't rush him. Russo is ready. I doubt McIlrath ever plays a game with Detroit...

13 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

I'm looking forward to see Hicketts, but maybe it's better that we don't rush him. Russo is ready. I doubt McIlrath ever plays a game with Detroit...

You don't have to doubt it. Holland said on 97.1 that mcilrath was acquired to be in GR. He said that he will be evaluated the rest of the season in GR. He probably won't even get re-signed. I'm think Holland just acquired him to use as a player to leave unprotected in the hopes maybe he won't lose another young D. 

But someone here is going to be very mad that The New Dylan didn't get the call...

18 minutes ago, joesuffP said:

In the next 5 years the defense should be nice and balanced we just need to draft a #1 in the next 3 years. No pressure Kenny

Everyone knows we need that number one defenseman, I just think we should be looking to acquire him through trade, rather than hoping to strike gold in the draft. Holland's staff has been great at drafting forwards, but for whatever reason, can't draft defensemen for s***. We have plenty of quality defensemen in the system, just no top end talent. If we can trade some depth to upgrade, I think that's the route we should go. Some teams like Anaheim, Carolina, Nashville have been great at drafting defense, but not so much at drafting forwards. Make some phone calls, kick some tires, and make a f***ing blockbuster trade that blows everyone away Kenny!

15 hours ago, kliq said:

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/robbie_russo/
History

2008-09: Robbie Russo played for the Chicago Mission Tier 1 AAA club, scoring 5 goals and adding 17 assists for 22 points in 46 games.

2009-10: Russo joined the U.S. NTDP program, splitting his time between the U-17 national team and the NTDP team in the USHL. In 52 games for the U-17 team, Russo scored 7 goals and added 24 assists for 31 points to go along with 58 minutes in penalties. In 34 USHL games, he scored 3 goals and added 17 assists for 20 points. Russo played for the USA’s gold medal team at the 2010 World U-17 Hockey Challenge, scoring 3 goals and adding 2 assists for 5 points in 6 games.

2010-11: Russo played for the U.S. NTDP squad competing in the USHL, where he picked up 6 assists in 24 games. Russo captained the USA’s gold medal squad at the 2011 U-18 World Junior Championship, scoring 1 goal and adding 7 assists for 8 points in 6 games. Russo has committed to the University of Notre Dame for the 2011-12 season. Russo was chosen in the sixth round, 132nd overall, of the 2011 KHL Draft by Locomotiv Yaroslavl.2008-09: Russo played for the Chicago Mission Tier 1 AAA club, scoring 5 goals and adding 17 assists for 22 points in 46 games.

2011-12: Russo stepped right into the lineup for Notre Dame as a freshman – skating in all 40 games for the Fighting Irish. Russo finished one point behind junior Sam Calabrese for the team lead in points amongst defensemen with 4 goals and 11 assists and was minus-seven with 14 penalty minutes. He scored all four of his goals on the power play. Notre Dame finished eighth in the CCHA and advanced to the league tournament quarterfinals against Michigan after sweeping a first round series with Ohio State.

2012-13: Russo skated in all 41 games for Notre Dame as a sophomore. He led Fighting Irish defensemen in scoring with 5 goals and 18 assists and was +6 with 40 penalty minutes. Notre Dame captured the CCHA tournament championship after finishing second to Miami in the regular season. The Fighting Irish fell to St. Cloud State in the NCAA Midwest Regional semifinals.

2013-14: Russo skated in 21 games for Notre Dame in his junior season at Notre Dame. He scored 4 goals with 11 assists and was +9 with 8 penalty minutes for the Fighting Irish before being declared academically ineligible in January. Notre Dame finished eighth in Hockey East in its first year in the conference. The Fighting Irish upset first-place Boston College in the conference tournament and received an at-large bid to the NCAA Tournament; falling to St. Cloud State, 4-3, in overtime in the NCAA West regional semifinals.

2014-15: Russo was the second-leading scorer for Notre Dame as a senior, trailing only forward Vince Hinostroza (Chicago) with 41 points. He scored 15 goals with 26 assists and was +13 with 20 penalty minutes in 40 games for the Fighting Irish. Notre Dame finished fifth in Hockey East; taking fourth-place Massachusetts-Lowell to three games in the Hockey East quarterfinals before falling 6-4 in the decisive third game and finishing 18-19-5. Russo was not signed by the Islanders, becoming an unrestricted free agent, and signed a two-year entry-level contract with Detroit in August 2015.

2015-16: Russo was the leading scorer amongst defensemen for Red Wings’ AHL affiliate Grand Rapids in his first pro season. He scored 5 goals with 34 assists and was +40 with 42 penalty minutes in 71 games. The Griffins finished fourth in the Central Division, reaching the playoffs for the fourth straight season. 

Talent Analysis

Russo is a very solid puck mover from the back end and is not afraid to use his body. He is also a great leader and a very hard worker. A free agent signee by the Red Wings after playing out his NCAA eligibility, Russo is a playmaker from the back end while playing a strong defensive game.

Future

Russo skated for Detroit AHL affiliate Grand Rapids in 2015-16, leading the team's defensemen in scoring as a rookie. Russo will push for a roster spot with the Red Wings in training camp in 2016-17 and projects as a middle pairing defenseman who can contribute to the attack and on the power play.

Thanks for this. I wonder why the Isles didn't sign him?

4 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Everyone knows we need that number one defenseman, I just think we should be looking to acquire him through trade, rather than hoping to strike gold in the draft. Holland's staff has been great at drafting forwards, but for whatever reason, can't draft defensemen for s***. We have plenty of quality defensemen in the system, just no top end talent. If we can trade some depth to upgrade, I think that's the route we should go. Some teams like Anaheim, Carolina, Nashville have been great at drafting defense, but not so much at drafting forwards. Make some phone calls, kick some tires, and make a f***ing blockbuster trade that blows everyone away Kenny!

That would certainly speed things up. Adding a guy like Trouba who will be a #1 but probably not Norris caliber will give us a Capitals like blue line in 5 years with Trouba being the only guy making huge money. Saarijarvi, Hronek, Ouellette, Hicketts and Russo all could be on the roster in 5 years

18 minutes ago, Wheelchairsuperhero said:

Thanks for this. I wonder why the Isles didn't sign him?

I dont really follow the isles but according to their SB Nation, sounds like their NHL roster was pretty young and their defensive prospect pool was pretty crowded.. this is from August of 2015 when Russo signed with the wings: 

As for the Islanders, the safe assumption is that they didn't see Russo breaking into an NHL level defense corps that's mostly penciled in already. At 22-years-old, Russo isn't much younger than starters Nick Leddy, Calvin deHaan or Travis Hamonic, who are all 25 or 24. And with prospects Ryan PulockScott MayfieldKevin Czuczman and Adam Pelech in the queue, the room for Russo is limited.

‪http://www.lighthousehockey.com/2015/8/16/9161749/islanders-pick-defenseman-robbie-russo-signs-with-red-wings‬

Oh boy Russo got bombed badly in his first game. Being a defenseman I could see he had big time trouble with the speed of the NHL. And Babcock ordered his hoodlums to bust in, it was not by accident Russo got hit over and over, Babs wanted him to cough up the puck.

With that said, don't give up hope on Russo. He got shocked but could still be an asset. Let him recover and more importantly refelct over his debut, he might still have something special. We need to see half a dozen+ games before we can say what's going on.

1 hour ago, Jacksoni said:

Oh boy Russo got bombed badly in his first game. Being a defenseman I could see he had big time trouble with the speed of the NHL. And Babcock ordered his hoodlums to bust in, it was not by accident Russo got hit over and over, Babs wanted him to cough up the puck.

With that said, don't give up hope on Russo. He got shocked but could still be an asset. Let him recover and more importantly refelct over his debut, he might still have something special. We need to see half a dozen+ games before we can say what's going on.

This wouldn't have happened to New Dylan had he been called, in fact quite the opposite would have happened.