• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Andy Pred 48

Shut down time?

Rate this topic

Ok, so unless you have the most rose tinted glasses ever made the run is over. 

I believe we have 4 call ups we can use until the end of the year. In your opinion would it be better to shut down any of the vets for the remainder of the year and bring up the top prospects or would you just play out the year as we are and call up prospects as needed for injury cover? 

I would do the following:

Send Miller back to GR bring up Nosek.                                                   

Shut down Kronwall for the year bring up Mcilrath.

I would then call up Frk as the 13th fwd but actually play him for  5 games see how he fares, then do the same with Svechnikov, resting whichever forward needs sitting.

I would also like to give Lorito a look as a reward for his good season in GR, and my sentimental side would love to give big Tangradi a few games too. Not sure if that's possible with the call ups left.

Hopefully this doesn't upset the Griffins run towards another Calder cup run.

I'd call some of the young guys up to get their feet wet. 5-10 games to see where they are at in their development and see if they have what it takes to turn this team around sooner rather that later. No pressure now situation. The season is already lost. Just play your game. However they need to be played in their projected roles. Svech should play in the top 6 while he's up. Frk should get time on the 3rd line with some PP opportunities. Russo 2nd pairing. McIlrath 6th dman. Nosek could be 3rd or 4th line center.

The only thing I really agree with is sending Miller down and calling up one of Nosek or Frk. Svechnikov would benefit more playing top 6 / top power-play unit with the Griffins than he would bottom 6 for a few games with a losing Red Wings team. Lorito is a very good AHL player, he is not an NHL player. People get upset with the play of Nyquist and Tatar, Lorito is a smaller, less skilled version of those guys. I'd be okay with Tangradi playing a scattered game on the 4th line, but I think he is more important in Grand Rapids right now, than he would be for the "entertainment factor" in Detroit. I wouldn't mind seeing Kronwall get a break if we were on the verge of a playoff run, but without any chance of playoffs I'm okay with him playing the season out. If he were to get injured, Hicketts should get the call, not McIlrath.

I think it's time to blow it up, but over the summer. Leave the griffs down there to try to win a Cup, they've earned it and probably would be mad if they were brought up to a team that is going nowhere fast. I'm sure they'd want to stay there to win something that they were part of getting there. I'd send Russo back so he can be part of it too. Hell, bring mcilrath up to finish the season, why give him something he hasn't helped earn?  I'd send Callahan back as well.  Anyone coming up now does nothing but tear them away from their team in GR.

Over the summer trim about 4 spots and $12M- $16M in cap of crappy players and then give them this team.

Yes, the reason to not let him get his feet wet is just what you said. He has been tearing it up in GR. He has been a big part of that team and where it sits right now. Bringing him up now does nothing for us or him, except penalize him for us being so bad. Let all the griffins stay down there and try to finish what they played so hard trying to accomplish. Not one of those players would rather be here with limited minutes and not be a part of their team in GR. They've all played hard and have earned what they've accomplished in GR. It's be different if they'd be called up for a playoff run, but coming here now accomishes nothing but ripping them from their own glorious season. Blow it up over the summer, get their feet soaked come October. 

I'd like to call up everyone who has a shot at making this team next year and see who could be part of the big club in the future. McIlrath has to be first in line for a Callup the season is done so why not have some added entertainment.

Also another important point is the salary calling a player up means NHL salary for one month (10x more than an AHL salary).

Getting a call up to the NHL, even on a bad team, is a reward for young players playing well.  The logic for leaving him down because he's been good doesn't make any sense.

Of course, Holland and Trashill are insisting on trying to win as many games as possible now and not looking towards the future, so I doubt it happens.

Calling them up now would be slapping them in the face. They played their asses off to get GR to where they are now. Sure, normally a call up would be great for these guys, but why tear them away from what they've accomplished to play limited minutes here and not enjoy the reward they've earned in GR? Let them try to win it all in GR, they bled to get thst team to where its at, you bring them up and they miss reaping the reward. Blow it up over the summer and they'll be here full time.

Silence! Such blasphemy.. We can still make it. We only have to win all but 1 game to make it, guaranteed.

I believe this attitude shows a lack of faith and team spirit from some unnamed forum members. Show some grit and heart.

<takes off sarcastic pointy hat>

Of course we should shut down. But without showing it. I hope those statements makes sense paired up. As to how, I leave it to the OP.

Edited by Jacksoni

1 hour ago, LeftWinger said:

Calling them up now would be slapping them in the face. They played their asses off to get GR to where they are now. Sure, normally a call up would be great for these guys, but why tear them away from what they've accomplished to play limited minutes here and not enjoy the reward they've earned in GR? Let them try to win it all in GR, they bled to get thst team to where its at, you bring them up and they miss reaping the reward. Blow it up over the summer and they'll be here full time.

Doesn't work that way. The call-up is the ultimate ticket for any player in the AHL, regardless of whatever team they play for. They believe, and have been told that they are brought up to add unique value, driving the group forward.

Of course they would love bringing in a Calder cup. But it is a mere shadow to playing in the bright lights of the NHL.

20 minutes ago, Jacksoni said:

Doesn't work that way. The call-up is the ultimate ticket for any player in the AHL, regardless of whatever team they play for. They believe, and have been told that they are brought up to add unique value, driving the group forward.

Of course they would love bringing in a Calder cup. But it is a mere shadow to playing in the bright lights of the NHL.

Ya, if playing in the nhl had reason right now. I'm not talking all AHL players, of course if we were getting ready for deep run, it'd make sense. But they'd come up for nothing basically. I guess maybe early impressions, but I still think they'd love to stay and finish what they started instead of come up and play in useless games. Anyhow, my opinion is to let them try to get the end goal they've all played the arses off for, blow it up after the season, let them fight it out for a spot come October. 

1 minute ago, LeftWinger said:

Ya, if playing in the nhl had reason right now. I'm not talking all AHL players, of course if we were getting ready for deep run, it'd make sense. But they'd come up for nothing basically. I guess maybe early impressions, but I still think they'd love to stay and finish what they started instead of come up and play in useless games. Anyhow, my opinion is to let them try to get the end goal they've all played the arses off for, blow it up after the season, let them fight it out for a spot come October. 

They'd prefer to come up.  Apart from just playing in the NHL, $ would be a big driving factor.  For most of them, their pay would increase by a factor of 10.

Not to mention, if they are called up, with us not making the playoffs they will be sent back down in time to play in the AHL playoffs anyways.

Speaking of, can the Wings send AA, Larkin, Mantha, and Jensen down to play in the AHL playoffs? Or no because of how long they have been up?

1 hour ago, kliq said:

Not to mention, if they are called up, with us not making the playoffs they will be sent back down in time to play in the AHL playoffs anyways.

Speaking of, can the Wings send AA, Larkin, Mantha, and Jensen down to play in the AHL playoffs? Or no because of how long they have been up?

Exactly what I was going to say. None of the forwards will go down, and I think Jensen would have to clear waivers again, so I doubt he will either. Russo and Callahan are the only two currently up that I would think will be sent down for the Griffins run.

6 hours ago, kliq said:

I don't remember which article I saw it in but Holland has said emphatically that NONE of those folks will be going down to help. 

35 minutes ago, FireCaptain said:

I don't remember which article I saw it in but Holland has said emphatically that NONE of those folks will be going down to help. 

I guess that makes sense. If Larkin, AA, and Mantha are pretty much playing 82 games, why put more wear and tear on their bodies. They are not going to get any better at this point by playing in the AHL.

5 hours ago, DickieDunn said:

Teams are limited to 4 call-ups after the deadline, too. Have to be careful or you might end up short some players for a game if injuries hit hard.

Sent from my LGLS676 using Tapatalk

I'm aware of this rule, but what if injuries do hit real hard to some team? What if after the deadline, a team has 7+ injuries over the span of a few games? The 23-man roster is cut to 20, they use all 4 call-ups and need another one or two... Would they be forced to play the remaining games short benched, with only 16-17 players?...