• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

ChristopherReevesLegs

There Will Be Blood - Kris Draper

Rate this topic

4 hours ago, F.Michael said:

'Detroit is such a blue-collar town, and they love their Red Wings so much'.

This is why I became a Detroit Red Wing fan back in '84...As a  14 yr old kid growing up in the Milwaukee area - I could identify with the city of Detroit, and those living in the suburbs.

My 1st visit to the Joe was in the spring of 1994 - a game against the Pittsburgh Penguins, and I fondly recall the plethora of UAW/CAW, Steamfitters, and Teamsters union jackets in the crowd...Mullets galore, and everyone seemed to be enjoying a XL Molson Canadian tapper.

Wings won that afternoon game...Great memories.

Is that the game where Probert had that long fight with McSorley?

9 hours ago, GMRwings1983 said:

I forgot Wendel Clark and added him to the list.  Would have been funny seeing him win a Cup as a Wing.  Grimson is another guy I wish won a Cup in Detroit.  

Well, if Wendel Clark had won with Detroit in '99, so would Ulf Samuelsson.  It would've been nice to see how the end of that year had gone without the injury to Osgood.

3 hours ago, F.Michael said:

I wish...I had to rethink - the game I attended was in 1996...That bourbon I had last night must've altered my brain cells :crazy:

Wow.  The two teams had an amazing, high scoring game in 1996.  I don't remember if it was in Pittsburgh or at the JLA, though.  You would have remembered that game.  

7 minutes ago, kickazz said:

A lot of players on that Colorado team for some reason still hate Draper to this day while doesnt hate McCarty. Found that interesting. 

Cause Drapes was a quick little s***-disturber that didn't fight. I think they didn't necessarily like McCarty, but they had respect for McCarty. 

7 hours ago, kickazz said:

A lot of players on that Colorado team for some reason still hate Draper to this day while dont hate McCarty. Found that interesting. 

They wanted him to get the crap beaten out of him by challenging the guy that was 3 inches taller and 35 pounds heavier who broke his face ..... and that's not how it really played out.

18 hours ago, barabbas16 said:

They wanted him to get the crap beaten out of him by challenging the guy that was 3 inches taller and 35 pounds heavier who broke his face ..... and that's not how it really played out.

You make it sound like Claude Lemieux was the second coming of Joe Kocur.

On 3/18/2017 at 3:34 PM, GMRwings1983 said:

You make it sound like Claude Lemieux was the second coming of Joe Kocur.

Well, that was not my intent.  I don't, however, have much doubt that Claude Lemieux would have handled Kris Draper quite easily in a fight.  Most people don't jump at the chance to fight someone that much bigger than they are... Claude Lemieux certainly wouldn't have.

29 minutes ago, barabbas16 said:

Well, that was not my intent.  I don't, however, have much doubt that Claude Lemieux would have handled Kris Draper quite easily in a fight.  Most people don't jump at the chance to fight someone that much bigger than they are... Claude Lemieux certainly wouldn't have.

I don't think Lemieux actually ever won a fight. I remember watching him fight a few times in the 90s. He was a bit of an instigator but almost always lost the fights he got involved in. Draper vs Lemieux wouldn't have been a huge one-sided bout I don't think. I mean ultimately I'm pretty sure Draper would have lost the fight but I doubt much damage would have been done by Lemieux.

Even in McCarty vs. Lemieux round 2 I don't think Lemieux actually landed a single punch on Mac. He was just a bad fighter to be honest. Probably why he stopped fighting after his time with the Canadiens. 

Edited by kickazz

Looking at Lemieux's fight card, he did win a few fights, but not many.  He had 50+ fights in his career, so he'd definitely beat Draper on experience alone.  Still, Lemieux was not a feared fighter and I think Draper should have challenged him.  

Nothing wrong with what McCarty did, but Draper did look weak there for sure. 

8 hours ago, GMRwings1983 said:

Looking at Lemieux's fight card, he did win a few fights, but not many.  He had 50+ fights in his career, so he'd definitely beat Draper on experience alone.  Still, Lemieux was not a feared fighter and I think Draper should have challenged him.  

Nothing wrong with what McCarty did, but Draper did look weak there for sure. 

If Draper had fought Lemieux, it's arguable that the rivalry might've gone more in Colorado's favor.  Fight night at the Joe was pretty pivotal.  I, for one, am glad it went the way it did.

Patrick Roy said in an interview once that the Fight Night at the Joe caused the entire Avalance team to lose their touch mentally for a few years. I'd say McCarty was solely responsible for temporarily throwing our rival off their game for a couple of years, allowing us to win those two cups. And so, I'm glad Draper didn't fight Lemieux. 

That Colorado team was better than us. The Fight Night finally put us over the edge. Then they were better again winning in the playoffs in 99 and 00 (?) until Holland revamped the team for 02 cup win, making us great again.

Edited by kickazz

Best game I've ever been to! My birthday is 3-12 and my buddy called me up and said he has tickets to a Wings game and he'd like to take me for my birthday. I was 26. Just remember saying It SHOULD be a good game since they have a rivalry going on at the moment. Little did we know! 

Edited by LeftWinger

22 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Best game I've ever been to! My birthday is 3-12 and my buddy called me up and said he has tickets to a Wings game and he'd like to take me for my birthday. I was 26. Just remember saying It SHOULD be a good game since they have a rivalry going on at the moment. Little did we know! 

Yes I still have it!IMG_20170320_103441.thumb.jpg.5984a849b4cfdc1675cdc1d3de08e58c.jpg

$30 lol wow. That'd be nice.

27 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Not even sure what the prices are today...double?

Was checking out stubhub for a pair of tickets earlier today and the cheapest deal was $74 each. Around the same row in the upper bowl.

It was around 90 each on Saturday for the avs game (top couple rows)

Edited by amato

7 hours ago, kickazz said:

Patrick Roy said in an interview once that the Fight Night at the Joe caused the entire Avalance team to lose their touch mentally for a few years. I'd say McCarty was solely responsible for temporarily throwing our rival off their game for a couple of years, allowing us to win those two cups. And so, I'm glad Draper didn't fight Lemieux. 

That Colorado team was better than us. The Fight Night finally put us over the edge. Then they were better again winning in the playoffs in 99 and 00 (?) until Holland revamped the team for 02 cup win, making us great again.

I thought we lost in 1999 because God hated the Wings for acquiring Ulf Samuelsson, Chris Chelios and Wendel Clark.  Three of the dirtiest players you can imagine.  What was Kenny thinking?    

16 hours ago, DickieDunn said:

Draper wasn't a fighter at all. LePew would have killed him.

Sent from my LGLS676 using Tapatalk

No he wouldn't have.  He would have won, but it wouldn't be some serious beating.  Lemieux wasn't an enforcer.  

1 minute ago, kickazz said:

Around 9:00 minutes of the video Roy talks about how the game affected the Avalanche team for a few years.

I've heard rumors that the Avs were embarrassed by Lemieux not fighting back, but if he was dazed by McCarty's gloved punch, I'm not sure what he could have done differently there.  

I looked, and the 1999 team had Parker, Deadmarsh, Odgers, Russell, Belak, Rychel, and Dingman.  It's true that many of the guys I mentioned were punching bags, but that was still a very tough team compared to what the Wings had.  Maybe that's why the Wings tried to get tougher (dirtier) during the deadline.  Still, Holland should have traded for a better backup goalie instead.