• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

ChristopherReevesLegs

There Will Be Blood - Kris Draper

Rate this topic

11 minutes ago, GMRwings1983 said:

I've heard rumors that the Avs were embarrassed by Lemieux not fighting back, but if he was dazed by McCarty's gloved punch, I'm not sure what he could have done differently there.  

I looked, and the 1999 team had Parker, Deadmarsh, Odgers, Russell, Belak, Rychel, and Dingman.  It's true that many of the guys I mentioned were punching bags, but that was still a very tough team compared to what the Wings had.  Maybe that's why the Wings tried to get tougher (dirtier) during the deadline.  Still, Holland should have traded for a better backup goalie instead.  

They had tough guys but we had a McCarty. I remember Deadmarsh, Odgers tried fighting McCarty but couldn't really beat him. Wings went on to win cups, those guys were still embarassed. I've also heard the Crawford wasn't the best coach when it came to rallying the team together. Ironically Crawford was also involved in the Bertuzzi incident.  

Edited by kickazz

Here's a thought.  If Chris Simon was still on the Avs roster in 1997, how differently does that game go?  He was arguably the top enforcer in the league the year before.  

They didn't have a tough roster in 1997, and it certainly appears they tried to beef up after that.  Can't be a coincidence.   

9 hours ago, kickazz said:

Patrick Roy said in an interview once that the Fight Night at the Joe caused the entire Avalance team to lose their touch mentally for a few years. I'd say McCarty was solely responsible for temporarily throwing our rival off their game for a couple of years, allowing us to win those two cups. And so, I'm glad Draper didn't fight Lemieux. 

That Colorado team was better than us. The Fight Night finally put us over the edge. Then they were better again winning in the playoffs in 99 and 00 (?) until Holland revamped the team for 02 cup win, making us great again.

I'm still sticking to my belief that Detroit would've beaten Colorado and gotten the 3-peat in 1999 if Osgood it hadn't been for the Osgood injury.

1 hour ago, GMRwings1983 said:

Here's a thought.  If Chris Simon was still on the Avs roster in 1997, how differently does that game go?  He was arguably the top enforcer in the league the year before.  

They didn't have a tough roster in 1997, and it certainly appears they tried to beef up after that.  Can't be a coincidence.   

But then they wouldn't have had Keith Jones..... so.... there's that.

Edited by barabbas16

10 minutes ago, barabbas16 said:

I'm still sticking to my belief that Detroit would've beaten Colorado and gotten the 3-peat in 1999 if Osgood it hadn't been for the Osgood injury.

I feel that way too.  However, Belfour was amazing at that time, much like Roy was.  It'd be hard to beat him and a motivated, hungry Dallas team.  The Wings had more offensive talent, but they'd be much weaker in goal than the Stars.

Don't see Buffalo beating the Wings.  That was years before we'd start our alarming trend of getting beat by hot goalies surrounded by crappy teams.  

40 minutes ago, barabbas16 said:

Didn't he come back and lose the two games though? I remember watching game 6 and it was brutal. 

Edited by kickazz

1 hour ago, kickazz said:

Didn't he come back and lose the two games though? I remember watching game 6 and it was brutal. 

Yeah, but they had to rush him back because Ranford and Maracle were so horrible.

6 hours ago, F.Michael said:

Been searching for the Mike Keane post game interview with no luck.

I recall his arrogance, and holier than thou attitude, and what really pissed me off was his comment that went along the lines of 'They'd never have the balls to pull this crap in our barn'.

I sat there thinking to myself 'Just you wait c***sucker - Wings are gonna beat your a$$ in your barn too'.

Their barn?  Denver had a team for two years at that point.  That barn didn't scare anyone.  

Their roster in 1997 was weak physically.  Even the modern day Wings could goon it up against that team.  

2 hours ago, F.Michael said:

Must respectfully disagree.

Adam Foote, Adam Deadmarsh, and Claude Lemieux alone would beat the crap outta every member of this current Red Wings team.

Deadmarsh was tough, but the other two were useless fighters.

3 hours ago, F.Michael said:

Must respectfully disagree.

Adam Foote, Adam Deadmarsh, and Claude Lemieux alone would beat the crap outta every member of this current Red Wings team.

Lemieux lost 90% of his fights man. Abdelkader would beat him in a fight for sure.

Deadmarsh and Foote would probably decimate this team though.

On 3/20/2017 at 4:35 PM, GMRwings1983 said:

I've heard rumors that the Avs were embarrassed by Lemieux not fighting back, but if he was dazed by McCarty's gloved punch, I'm not sure what he could have done differently there.   

I don't think they were embarassed he didn't fight then and there, they were probably embarased he didn't challenge McCarty later in the game. Lemeiux did come back in the game after the turtle session if I'm not mistaken.

Edited by kickazz

One of the things I admired about McCarty's ability to fight was how easily he would duck and move out of punches. He didn't have the punch of Kocur, nor was he a heavyweight like Probert or Brashear, but he was one strategic fighter that's for sure. I mean as brutal as it may sound, after the glove punch on Lemieux and the follow up turtle the guy went straight to kneeing him in the head to inflict pain. Now that's some strategic street fighting lol. USE EVERYTHING AT YOUR DISPOSAL!

He would have probably been a better MMA fighter than McGrattan's sorry attempt at it (when he was doing some MMA training that is). 

Edited by kickazz

5 minutes ago, kickazz said:

One of the things I admired about McCarty's ability to fight was how easily he would duck and move out of punches. He didn't have the punch of Kocur, nor was he a heavyweight like Probert or Brashear, but he was one strategic fighter that's for sure. I mean as brutal as it may sound, after the glove punch on Lemieux and the follow up turtle the guy went straight to kneeing him in the head to inflict pain. Now that's some strategic street fighting lol. USE EVERYTHING AT YOUR DISPOSAL!

He would have probably been a better MMA fighter than McGrattan's sorry attempt at it (when he was doing some MMA training that is). 

not to mention all the coke would numb any punches he might eat

1 hour ago, kickazz said:

Dr. Echolalia, don't be judging! 

Also did you match?? 

yep!  staying in the detroit area, which me and my girl are happy about!  One of my friends from school also matched into my program, too, so its nice to know a familiar face going in.  Also I prescribe cocaine to all my patients who are expecting to get beat.

also: nothing to see here brahs

Edited by Echolalia