• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

puckloo39

3/15 GDT: at Colorado Avalanche 3, Red Wings 1

48 minutes ago, kylee said:

I just want Blashill fired at the end of the year - that's really the only thing I'm looking forward to with this franchise 

Agreed, Blashill and his staff have to go.  You can only rag on the players for so long until you HAVE to turn your eyes on the coaching staff.  This is not a terrible team, on paper.  I'm not saying they should be in the playoffs but losing to the lowly Avalanche and only generating a single goal?!?  That's some serious sadness right there.  There's little to no heart on this team, Hank can only do so much.  Serious changes need to come down the pipe and it has to start with the coaching staff getting replaced.  I just pray we can land Hitchcock (if he's planning on sticking around for a few seasons at least) or Gallant.  I'm sure there are others, but those are my top two candidates to come in in the offseason.

56 minutes ago, SwedeLundin77 said:

Agreed, Blashill and his staff have to go.  You can only rag on the players for so long until you HAVE to turn your eyes on the coaching staff.  This is not a terrible team, on paper.  I'm not saying they should be in the playoffs but losing to the lowly Avalanche and only generating a single goal?!?  That's some serious sadness right there.  There's little to no heart on this team, Hank can only do so much.  Serious changes need to come down the pipe and it has to start with the coaching staff getting replaced.  I just pray we can land Hitchcock (if he's planning on sticking around for a few seasons at least) or Gallant.  I'm sure there are others, but those are my top two candidates to come in in the offseason.

On paper the rhetoric going into the season was that we were better than the previous year's team. I thought we would be a bubble team again and it says a lot that we are nowhere close to that and nearly every player is having a bad year stats-wise. Send the AHL coach back where he came from. 

Edited by kylee

Wow, I fell asleep after the second period. We now own the distinction of having the least amount of regulation wins in the entire league. We may not be the worst team in the league, but we are certainly the least competitive. #FireBlashill

I fell asleep ten minutes before puck drop and slept through the whole thing. Seems like someone up there is looking out for me. ^_^

Don't look now, but the Coyotes could pull within a single point of us tonight. Translation: finishing 29th overall is still very much a possibility.

5 minutes ago, joesuffP said:

How are the Avalanche that far behind for last place it's ridiculous.? Anyways finishing 2nd last and firing Blashill is best case scenario for this team at this point

Not sure what happened to them this year.  They have several players that have way more upside than anyone on the Wings.  They've underachieved for sure.

2 hours ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Why fire the coach when he loses when we need to lose?  

There is a lot of truth to this comment. We are out of it, to fire him now and bring in say a Hitchcock who could possibly turn it around to the point where we shoot up the standings and just barely don't make the playoffs would be worst case scenario.

2 hours ago, joesuffP said:

How are the Avalanche that far behind for last place it's ridiculous.? Anyways finishing 2nd last and firing Blashill is best case scenario for this team at this point

Talk to any Av's fan, and they'll tell you It's lack of depth.

Outside of Landy, Duch, Mac, Barrie, and Johnson, they have nothing. And those guys are good players, but not good enough to put the entire roster on their back.

1 minute ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Talk to any Av's fan, and they'll tell you It's lack of depth.

Outside of Landy, Duch, Mac, Barrie, and Johnson, they have nothing. And those guys are good players, but not good enough to put the entire roster on their back.

They, at least, have players you can build a franchise around.  We don't.  I wish we had those first two guys you mentioned.  

12 minutes ago, Hockeymom1960 said:

I totally disagree.  We have Larking, AA, Mrazek, Mantha, etc. that we can build around.  

None of those players is in the same class as their top guys.  There's a reason those guys were such high picks.  And forget Mrazek. That guy needs to have an exorcism in the offseason to ever be the same.  

BTW, I hope Iginla (yes, he's still playing) is having fun there.  ;)

Edited by GMRwings1983

4 minutes ago, GMRwings1983 said:

None of those players is in the same class as their top guys.  There's a reason those guys were such high picks.  And forget Mrazek. That guy needs to have an exorcism in the offseason to ever be the same.  

BTW, I hope Iginla (yes, he's still playing) is having fun there.  ;)

He plays for LA now

2 hours ago, GMRwings1983 said:

... And forget Mrazek. That guy needs to have an exorcism in the offseason to ever be the same. 

I think Mrazek is capable to catching up with Hasek, though I think he'll skip Vezina and Stanley part of it, and end up playing some shadow corner beer league in Czech. They've got real good beer there!

We were at this one, which makes for a different view than on screen...  It has been a couple years since the last time I caught a live game (also Denver, DeKeyser's debut)... it definitely convinced me that coaching is the issue here.

Couple things I noticed:

Zone entry on the powerplay is godawful.

Own zone entry on the PK is even worse... 

There seem to be two complimentary issues there - on the PP they are getting stood up at the blue line as the opposing team closed with them and shut them off in the neutral zone.  Conversely, on the PK, they are very quickly collapsing into their own zone, letting the other team walk in and work the puck around the outside and set up good shots.

Nielsen looks a lot better in person as a player.

Athanasiou and Larkin are fast as hell.

Mantha is a giant.

Z is carrying so much of this team right now.

That Mike Green one timer from the point needs to get set up 10 more times a game.

Oullet looks good.

There are good players out there, especially forwards, but they seem to be holding back and second guessing their positioning because they are being told to do things that might not be the right things to do - the passing ends up being hesitant and they are rarely moving the puck effectively laterally - with all the high skill players they have, they should be able to move the puck so much better than they do.

They came back hard after each Colorado goal, only to get sucked back into the above after a shift or two.

Glendening and Miller looked awful.

Anyway... just a few thoughts I had.