• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

NerveDamage

Chelios Blasts Mike Babcock

Rate this topic

6 hours ago, chaps80 said:

Nielsen was an impulse signing when Holland couldn't sign Stamkos and he overpaid big time. 

I remember reading an interview with Matt Martin where he said John Tavares made guys like Nielsen and Okposo lots of money because he made them better players and inflated their stats just by being on the same line with him.

The whole thing with Dats' contract trade was uneccesary, but it is what it is.

Depends on your definition of "overpaid". Did he pay him above market value....no. Was it a bad signing for our team with our cap situation....yes.

NYI offered him more then us, not 100% sure about the term/NMC though.

Maybe I'm inferring too much, but when I read his comments, I start thinking that he's good for young players because you need to work them hard, but he's not good for veterans because he wants to work them too, but veterans shouldn't have to work hard anymore?  Is that his complaint?  If veterans were staying away because they didn't want to have to work hard....not veterans I want on my team.

Again, probably way too much inferring here.

1 hour ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

And Zetterberg never played with Datsyuk.  Come on, man.  You are better than this.

What does that have to do with anything? He wasn't making some blanket statement that centers never play with other centers. Tavares and Nielsen didn't play together, other than a few rare occasions and some PP time. 

22 hours ago, chaps80 said:

They did play on the same line sometimes, and quite a bit together on the powerplay.

Between 2009 (when Tavares came into the league) and until Nielsen's last season with the Islanders. They played a total of 87 minutes together "on the same line". Mind you that's 87 minutes out of like 7000-8000 minutes (rounded up). On the powerplay they played together a total of 700 minutes or so but that's nothing compared to the overall amount of minutes Nielsen played between 2009 and 2015 for the Islanders (precisely 7847 minutes since 2009). 

I know you hate the signing but you need to fact check yourself. 

wISg2m5.png

11 hours ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

And Zetterberg never played with Datsyuk.  Come on, man.  You are better than this.

Read above and go ahead and add it to your burn book.  

Edited by kickazz

36 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

My point is that Nielsen DOES owe a decent amount of his Islandees success to Tavares.  Is it at a Gretzky/Messier level?  No.  But it also isn't at a Datsyuk/Helm level either.  

11% is a decent amount? Was Tavares literally carrying Nielsen on his back like yoda during that time?

23 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Luke was using the force to assist him with Yoda's backpacking.  Tavares was just scoring points with Nielsen on the power play.  Very different!

Luke was simply performing calisthenics at that time, using very little force. He could barely get his X-wing to budge when he tried.

13 hours ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

900 out of 8000 minutes, or 11% of the time.  I didn't say they were linemates.  But saying they didn't play together is just false.  

What site is that, btw?  That is awesome fact checking.  Props on that.

1 hour ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

My point is that Nielsen DOES owe a decent amount of his Islandees success to Tavares.  Is it at a Gretzky/Messier level?  No.  But it also isn't at a Datsyuk/Helm level either.  

It's Corsica hockey. Great site, though the performance kind of sucks. 

Also, you're reaching. You said I was wrong when I said they rarely played together, now after you see the data showing I was right, you want to play semantics.

Also also, Gretzky and Messier weren't regular linemates either, and Helm played with Datsyuk about the same relative amount as Nielsen played with Tavares. 

7 hours ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

These are really weird comparisons to use.

Maybe you're thinking of Jari Kurri? Messier didn't play on Gretsky's line. Messier also had plenty of success in Edmonton and NY without the great one on the team.

Helm played on Datsyuk's wing for about 2 half seasons. He had about the same amount of points as his other seasons.

Edited by PavelValerievichDatsyuk

2 hours ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

I'm not sure what you mean by it not being a Gretzky/Messier level.....they didn't play on the same line.

43 minutes ago, PavelValerievichDatsyuk said:

These are really weird comparisons to use.

Maybe you're thinking of Jari Kurri? Messier didn't play on Gretsky's line. Messier also had plenty of succes in NY without the great one.

Helm played on Datsyuk's wing for about 2 half seasons. He had about the same amount of points as his other seasons.

Don't remind me.  The suffering he underwent scared Datsyuk so much that he left for Russia.

16 minutes ago, BinMucker94 said:

You're spare parts aren't ya bud

i don't know if you ever saw babcock on tv,  but he always appeared to be mentally retarded, and this was confirmed when he left chelios and hasek out of the 2008 playoffs

5 hours ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Doing a little more research, looks like about 1900 minutes for Tavares and Nielsen together when you add up ALL the time/situations.  

Makes sense.

You can't completely trust the line combo report, especially when counting PP time. I believe it gets a lot of overlap from combos with 4 forwards. For instance, if you look at just 5v4 time, it shows Nielsen with nearly 2860 total minutes, 1673 with Tavares. But NHL.com shows his total PP time over that span to be only 1424:55. 

WOWY is better. 

Untitled.png

11 hours ago, gretzkyGOAT said:

i don't know if you ever saw babcock on tv,  but he always appeared to be mentally retarded, and this was confirmed when he left chelios and hasek out of the 2008 playoffs

Idiotic comment from the start to suggest someone looks "mentally retarded", but confirmation we was because he left off a 46 year old Chelios that could no longer keep up and a 43 year old Hasek?  Come on!

14 hours ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Good call.  Now do that from the start of his career through 2016 season so we can get the final answer.

Spent 12.3% of his time with Tavares in all situations. Come thru, the burn book's, lit.  

1% on even strength. 

And since your tried to be a Einstein earlier and brought up Zetterberg and Datsyuk. They spent 37% together in all situations (compared to the 12% of Nielsen and Tavares) and 33% on even strength (compared to the 1% between Tavares and Nielsen). 

Not even close. 

Edited by kickazz