• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

LeftWinger

Farewell To Joe Louis Arena

Rate this topic

With two weeks left, it's time for all of our favorite and least favorite memories to flow like the tears that will most definitely be flowing when that final horn sounds...Thank You Joe Louis Arena, from when i was 9 years old,  up until I moved away 33 years later, no matter how luxurious the new barn will be, you will never be replaced.

I look forward to reading everyone's good times and bad at our home. Games, concerts, events...

Here's the video from NBC Sports today to start is off.

I always lived far away from Detroit except a few years ago I unfortunately had to move to Ohio for 7 months for work. Took that opportunity to make it to one game in Detroit while I was there, and our tool rep on site got us free tickets. My experience was amazing, had chills the whole time and it's something I'll never forget (especially those nasty outdated bathrooms!).

Made the trek down for game one of the '08 Finals. Incredible atmosphere and pretty much the only time I was in the majority as far as fan support haha. Biggest beer I have ever seen at a game too and it wasn't stupidly expensive. And of course the old school charm of troughs. Beating the Pens 4-0 didn't hurt either. Happy I got to experience it before it closes.

Obviously going to March 26th, 97 was at the top of my experiences too, but here's a couple of crappie times.

Playoffs, 1991 vs. St. Louis. We were up 3 games to 2, we bought tickets to game 6 hoping to see the elimination of Scott Steven's and the blues...but we lost 3-0. Ugh....fast forward to 2008, our first game against the Pens since our Cup victory...we lost 3 leads, including a 3 goal lead only to lose in OT. To top it off, we sat in a section full, and I mean FULL of visiting pens fans. They were nice people (probably because we had our young sons with us) but it still sucked to be next to them celebrating....bleh!

Edited by LeftWinger

Another great regular season game I went to was a game against the Northstars, back in 89 or 90, we won, but the two highlights for me was Kocur beating the snot out of Link Gaetz and to a bloody pulp. Shawn Burr netted a hattie, an even strength, pp and a shortie. We sat right above the zamboni entrance. 

20 hours ago, NerveDamage said:

what day is today?

detroit-turtle-day_design.png

great topic LW, and great moment you share with all of us. I can't imagine how proud you must have felt.

Yes, that was the game where I worked the door on our bench, which is the door on the Wings bench in front of the hallway down to the dressing room. Of course the door just inside the hallway was closed and locked, but it was still very surreal to even be standing there. The actual bench is an uneven crappy piece of wood. I was surprised how it looked. It looked like a bench at your local ice rink. I'm sure it was the original one that was installed there.

4 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

Another great regular season game I went to was a game against the Northstars, back in 89 or 90, we won, but the two highlights for me was Kocur beating the snot out of Link Gaetz and to a bloody pulp. Shawn Burr netted a hattie, an even strength, pp and a shortie. We sat right above the zamboni entrance. 

Hey, Link actually looked good in that fight being able to take those punches and still stand up.  

this season I could finally fulfill a life long dream of going to Detroit and specifically to go visit the Joe and finally see my beloved Red Wings LIVE. I always wanted my first game ever to be there and nowhere else, so it was now or never. My most fond memories of the Joe happen in a 16 day span visiting Detroit last January.

First Game, First Win: Penguins 3-6 Red Wings.

I couldn't believe I was climbing the stairs I've seen on so many broadcasts, standing next to another fellow Red Wing Fan on his first game at the Joe ever as well. to walk through those doors and see Mr. Hockey, and the production line in all of it's glory. I've must have walked 6 times around the Joe, looking at every column, every mural, every poster, everything, trying to take 17 years of waiting all at once, not wanting to miss anything. Then went through that tarp and like a bright flash that blinds you for a second... our Joe in all of its splendor, it was truly breathtaking. To see the rafters, Stevie Y's banner, the ice, the smell, the noise. I couldn't believe I was finally home.    3 periods later and I was signing Journey at the top of my lungs. We had not only defeated Pittsburgh, we outscored them... for me it was so special and meaningful for a first game ever.

Most Exciting Moment:

started chanting AA! AA! right when he soared thorugh center ice on that 200 ft play. 9th row to the left of Fleury so got a great glimpse of the goal. That's me in red inside the circle. With my first jersey ever, 17 year old Starter. As old as my passion for the Wings. We've been through hell and back together.

58db3e72f30ab_AAgoal.jpg.a984b42324ee21ff5308b9e4ba30a759.jpg

Shutout at the Joe: Canadiens 0 - 1 Red Wings.

Met my favourite broadcaster Ken Kal before the game started, got a few pics with him, he signed a jersey (on which I managed to get Mantha, AA, DeKe, Smith, Nielsen, Nyq, Coreau, Chelios and Al Sobotka as well) and a copy of all the stats he usually gets for each game, signed an all... Sat 3rd row on the Isle by the Zamboni, right behind Price.

Most thrills on a game: Bruins 5 - 6 Red Wings:

Yeah that was one for the books, what a game... came back from a 4-1 deficit after they chased our goalie.  tallied back to tie it at 4 and then, just like that, got scored on right away, only to tie again with less than 3 minutes in reg. some 3 on 3 hockey and then on to the shootouts. Got to see Vanek and Nielsen score, and win our 3rd in a row at home.

Most disappointing game, Maple Leafs 4 - 0 Red Wings

My 5th and last game ever at the Joe, I hadn't planned on attending this game, so I had to re adjust my whole trip in order to do so, get new plane tickets, called work to get a few more days off, get a new place to stay, etc. But I didn't want to miss a chance to see Babs, Matthews, Marner, etc. and specially another Original 6 team, who knows when I'll be back, if ever...  Anyways, I did all this only to witness our team get handled and held scoreless, disrespected and outchanted at our own house. I had a sign and all, but kept waiting until halfway the 3rd to have it out. because I was so into the game and didn't want to block anyones view since we're all waiting for our Boyz to perform another Detroitian ComebackTM that just never happened. I stayed inside the lower bowl for as long as I could approached the benches, the sin bins, stood on the SRO area and just took a moment in silence, just me and My Joe. saying goodbye. I peaced out! my beloved Joe before heading to the Olympia for one last drink. In a table by the entrance were some Leafs fans shouting "Shutout!"  to every Wings fan that passed by. After they did it to me I took out my sign and showed it to them. the heckling turned to fistbumps and Respects!, from them and some girls on other table. so It was all cool after that, To me that was amazing, how as hockey fans, we all understand what this sport means to us and how it moves us, no matter the team or the colour, or where we are from, we're all one big family, which happens to beat the crap out of each other from time to time, hehe, just one big beautiful family.

DRW_Sign.thumb.jpg.ed460ccd13e06e82e397175eb8ab79f7.jpg

Sorry for the long post but, LGRW!!! now and always.

Edited by NerveDamage

41 minutes ago, amato said:

Finally got some tickets for what will be my last game at the Joe.. Monday against the Sens (by far the cheapest game left ha). It'll be a sad day for sure. But thankful I could find a way to go one last time. 

Do It!

Octopus.jpg

I guess my only regret is not throwing an octopus. but I didn't want to be a jinx or anything. since it's supposed to be a Playoff tradition only, but since the streak is ovah...

Edited by NerveDamage

1 hour ago, NerveDamage said:

Do It!

Octopus.jpg

I guess my only regret is not throwing an octopus. but I didn't want to be a jinx or anything. since it's supposed to be a Playoff tradition only, but since the streak is ovah...

haha I have always wanted to do this.... if only lower bowl tickets weren't around at least 300 for any of the games left.

also, yeahh it wouldn't quite feel the same with the whole no playoffs and all :confused:

9 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

So, what will become of Steve Yzerman Drive? Will they re-designate a road near lca? Will they rename Yzerman drive something like Lonely Abandoned Street?

Jeff Blashill Lane sounds pretty good.  It will intersect with Sheahan Avenue.  

38 years old. I live in western Canada, been a Wings fan for 25 years and I finally got to the Joe for 2 games last weekend. Surreal experience from walking up the steps at the entrance to drinking in the Olympia club in the bowels of the Joe.  Couldn't have been happier to step foot in the old place.  The atmosphere was amazing even in a losing season.  It sure is an old barn. Narrow concourse, 1000 degrees inside, lack of bathrooms but when that pucked dropped I knew I was in one helluva special place.  That being said I can't wait to go back to Detroit and watch a game in Little Caesar's.