• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

kliq

The Streak is officially over

Rate this topic

Gonna miss the Joe and the Streak, but it was bound to happen. Especially when you consider where we are and who was given favoritism in terms of contracts.

Fire Blashill and Holland. Time to restart NOW. There is no reason to hold on since there is no streak or cup within grasping distance.

3 hours ago, Datsyukian-Deke said:

Gonna be the first time that I was old enough to remember hockey that I don't see Red Wing playoff hockey. Talk about an empty feeling. Would have liked to see the last game played at the Joe be a playoff game. Here's to the next streak! 

I'm old enough to remember 1990. End of '89 had been bad enough, losing first round to Chicago then trading Adam Oates just when I was starting to like him. All of Probert's problems... Then got kind of excited when we traded for Carson, even though I liked Klima and still kinda thought Murphy could be good...then we lost like 10 in a row immediately after. Thinking all year, "man, we're better than this", then losing a bunch of games at the end of the year and missing the playoffs. I was thinking our window was closed at that point, lol. If only I had known who we had drafted that year.

Probably too much to hope that Cholowski, Smith, and Hronek can be the next Lidstrom, Fedorov, and Konstantinov, I guess. :)

First time in my lifetime there hasn't been red wing playoff hockey.. we could see it coming this season obviously, but it still feels weird to think that. 

The NHLs website got me with a few quotes: 

25-season run may never been seen again in NHL

Think of how much time has passed since the Red Wings last missed the playoffs. You're reading this on the Internet, which didn't exist.

No player in the NHL today was in the NHL then, not even Jaromir Jagr. Nine of the franchises in the NHL today weren't in the NHL, 10 if you include the Vegas Golden Knights, who begin play next season.

Coach Jeff Blashill was 16 when the playoffs began without the Red Wings in April 1990. Fifteen players who have appeared in a game for the Red Wings this season hadn't been born.

The NHL introduced the salary cap in 2005-06. The Red Wings cut their payroll in half to fit under the $39 million limit...

"I don't know that you'll ever see this again," Blackhawks GM Stan Bowman said. "I don't know that you'll ever see a team be this elite of a franchise for that many years. That's what we're striving to do, and we're not even a third of the way there, really, for the number of years that they've been able to do it."

link: https://www.nhl.com/news/detroit-red-wings-25-year-playoff-streak-comes-to-an-end/c-288192312

Also it mentions that the Penguins and Blackhawks have the next longest active streaks at 11 and 9 years respectively.. if the pens tied the wings streak, it'd be the same year Crosby turns 44 and Malkin turns 45.. the Hawks would see Kane and Toews turn 45 the same year they'd have to keep it going long enough to tie it. 

Crazy when you really put it all into perspective.. thanks for the memories that have literally lasted a lifetime so far, Red Wings. Here's to starting another long streak and proving 25 years can happen again. Cheers! 

Edited by amato

6 hours ago, Datsyukian-Deke said:

Gonna be the first time that I was old enough to remember hockey that I don't see Red Wing playoff hockey. Talk about an empty feeling. Would have liked to see the last game played at the Joe be a playoff game. Here's to the next streak! 

Same here. Last time it happened I was 4 (going on 5) years old. I wasn't old enough to understand or care, so this essentially feels like my first time. It's definitely a weird feeling. 

We can only go up from here, though. A new era starts now. 

I'm not sure if this is lucky or not, but I've been watching hockey for a lot longer than the Wings playoff streak, so I clearly remember a time when they weren't in the playoffs and not just a 4 or 5 year old.  

However, and it's a big however, if I really think about it, I'm not sure I've ever seen a year with them out of the playoffs while I've been a fan.  Back before they were in the playoffs I was a fan of the Oilers and Messier....I was younger and that's who my best friend liked, so that's who I liked as well.  It was probably when Fedorov was drafted and I got into collecting hockey cards that I started cheering for the Wings (I guess I came aboard at the right time).

Was inevitable but upsetting nonetheless.

Ready to build the next team to start a new streak (not sure Holland is the one to do it, either. Or that Blashill is the one to coach it.)

What a weird feeling. Never had to NOT put the playoff wins counter up there.

Earlier on this season I was on the "fire Blashill, trade everyone" train... I'm still on it. Time to break everything down and build it back up. I'd rather deal with a few down years for a proper rebuild with the right people in the front office than continue with half-measures as everything wilts.

Pretty sad but I'm handling it better than I expected

As far as firing Blashill goes... He's infuriated me at points this season but I'm not sure having a revolving door of coaches for young players is such a good idea. It took a full season but he's starting to trust guys like AA, Mantha and they're performing without Z.

The real problem imo is the defense. Blashill can get them to play competent enough to win for 5 game stretches but you see them come off the hinges a lot and when that happens the team simply cannot win games. That comes from inexperience and also some vets being a disappointment.

The worst thing going forward is to throw another coach and continue with the same struggles. The reward could be the team would respond to a new coach and immediately thrive but I doubt theirs much a coach can do for this roster

12 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

For me, the streak ended in 2013.  We were one lazy play by Nyquist and one bad break off Kronwall's leg from heading to the semi finals and having a great chance to take it all.  We haven't been truly competitive since.

Honestly that team was kinda crap. They did well under Babcock's gameplan and scored ugly goals and were high energy but they were outplayed for the most part. Could have easily lost that Ducks series with their 3 OT wins. Still one of the most entertaining runs

47 minutes ago, Matt said:

What a weird feeling. Never had to NOT put the playoff wins counter up there.

Earlier on this season I was on the "fire Blashill, trade everyone" train... I'm still on it. Time to break everything down and build it back up. I'd rather deal with a few down years for a proper rebuild with the right people in the front office than continue with half-measures as everything wilts.

John Wick for GM!

3 hours ago, joesuffP said:

Pretty sad but I'm handling it better than I expected

As far as firing Blashill goes... He's infuriated me at points this season but I'm not sure having a revolving door of coaches for young players is such a good idea. It took a full season but he's starting to trust guys like AA, Mantha and they're performing without Z.

Sticking with a bad coach is a worse idea,  They need to find a guy who knows ow to work with young talent and let them play their game while working on their weaknesses.  Blashill was supposed to be that then turned into Babcock lite.