• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

kliq

The Streak is officially over

Rate this topic

3 hours ago, toby91_ca said:

It does come at a terrible time though....with new building set to open.  I suppose you could look at both as new beginnings though.

This is the way I am looking at it..Hopefully the new barn will help re-energize the group 

Edit:  oh yeah, and fire Blash...please and thank you

Edited by 13dangledangle

5 hours ago, toby91_ca said:

It does come at a terrible time though....with new building set to open.  I suppose you could look at both as new beginnings though.

That's a good way to look at it. Hopefully we'll start a new streak with the new arena next year. :)

3 hours ago, NerveDamage said:

the only honourable way to settle this is for them to commit Japanese ritual suicide

4004405.gif

Well, they'd better buy a good exoskeleton to make up for the one that mother nature didn't provide.  Maybe Robert Downey Jr. can provide some shopping tips.

14 hours ago, Dabura said:

Jimmy "Very Disappointing" Devellano says the rebuild is on:

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2017/03/red_wings_streak_not_likely_to.html

Interesting read. I like how forthcoming Devellano is.

So they admittedly did exactly what many around here complain about. Put off a rebuild, out of a feeling of obligation to keep this team competitive as long as possible. Whether you agree with that strategy or not, they certainly did a good job of it. 25 years is impressive to say the least.

I think the true reason this team has slowly fallen is the inability to find gems in the draft since 1999 with Zetterberg. We have done some pretty great drafting since 99, but like Devellano says, we've picked late and haven't been able to get anyone who truly moves the needle. IMO Zberg is the last guy we drafted that really moves the needle. When Lids left we lost that player on the backend. With Datsyuk now gone, Zberg is the only one left who can push this team.

Parity is here, and it's time to rebuild so we can get these types of players again. The only players found late in drafts these days are players like Nyquist, good, but nothing to build a team around. I don't think we can cite our team as having superior drafting ability anymore. That was all in the 90s. We got to roll up the sleeves and do what everyone else does, tank.

I'm proud of what they've accomplished, but I'm glad they've turned their attention to rebuilding now.

“I sit back and shake my head,” Nill says. “The era that we live in right now, with social media and reading some of the comments about the franchise and Kenny Holland, I’m amazed at the lack of respect that occurred there. It’s an incredible feat and I don’t think it gets as much respect as it should.”

http://www.torontosun.com/2017/03/29/red-wings-playoff-streak-is-over-but-it-was-amazing

Nill needs to worry about his own team and to stop and realize that what people are complaining about is the last 2-3 years, and what happened 20+ years ago is irrelevant to now.

1 hour ago, DickieDunn said:

“I sit back and shake my head,” Nill says. “The era that we live in right now, with social media and reading some of the comments about the franchise and Kenny Holland, I’m amazed at the lack of respect that occurred there. It’s an incredible feat and I don’t think it gets as much respect as it should.”

http://www.torontosun.com/2017/03/29/red-wings-playoff-streak-is-over-but-it-was-amazing

Nill needs to worry about his own team and to stop and realize that what people are complaining about is the last 2-3 years, and what happened 20+ years ago is irrelevant to now.

I think Nil is a great GM, the guy fixed Dallas' center problem in 2 years by bringing in Seguin and Spezza but he needs to worry about his own team. The Wings are where they are because the streak was more of a burden during the last few years that's not showing a lack of a respect towards the 25 years it's just a fact.

I wonder if Nil will say the same thing if Chris Ilitch demands answers for this from the top to the bottom? New building, new owner, new uncharted waters. Fact is the Wings should have started t he rebuild after failing to land Suter, Parise sadly they didn't and missed out on some good drafts highlighted by McDavid, Eichel, Matthews, Ekblad, Werenski and Jones...

Edited by frankgrimes

hell with the streak, I made my peace with the end of Great Red Wings Era shortly after beginning of this season. however, I am still worried it may just traded places with Edmonton and that will become the start of little caesars era and playoff drought... that i wont make a peace with ever...

Well, you must know that's not true. You succeed in the modern NHL and you don't pick high and it corrodes your talent pool. Past success is absolutely relevant to later struggles. 

If the comments he's referring to are anything like the ones you've been leaving this season, then I'm not surprised he's amazed.

I've been a fan since 1989-90, so I saw the streak from beginning to end. We can complain all we want about moves we don't like, but think of the players we've lost since 2011, Draper, Holmstrom, Lidstrom, Franzen, and Datsyuk. It's tough to replace those guys.

8 hours ago, DickieDunn said:

What's the matter? Don't like being put in your place by Jim Nill? :lol:

On 3/29/2017 at 2:03 PM, DickieDunn said:

Sticking with a bad coach is a worse idea,  They need to find a guy who knows ow to work with young talent and let them play their game while working on their weaknesses.  Blashill was supposed to be that then turned into Babcock lite.

I agree.

Blashill system is horrible. Our players won't ever succeed. 

Was gonna post in a new thread but I reckon it can go in here.

Losing the streak means at least we now have one, final game to say goodbye to the Joe. It's not the way we wanted to say goodbye, but I'd have hated it if our last game of the season was on the road and not at JLA, Throw everything into the biggest send off we can and make that last game something really special.

I mean, it's not ideal; that would be saying goodbye by winning the cup on home ice, but it also casts off the monkey on our backs that we knew was coming, and would have really sucked if the first season at the new arena was the season to break the streak. Real feeling of a new fresh start, what with loading picks at the deadline, not being a playoff team, new barn, youth movement going forward.