• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Wing Across The Pond

NHL will not participate in 2018 Winter Olympics

Rate this topic

Just now, Yzerman19 said:

Well that is a shame for the world of hockey....
And this is not even the Nhlpa's decision.

Envoyé de mon SM-A310F en utilisant Tapatalk

For me, living in the UK, the Olympics is always a great occasion to see the best players in the world on free TV, with real excitement. Not next year. Shame. Get money on Russia probably.

With acts like that the NHL is giving more incentives to the players to go play in the khl were the level gets higher and higher ever season...
Not allowing worlds superstars going out and play to the olympics is a big mistake and may on the longterm drive players out of it... especially ones who only miss an olympic medal

Just now, Yzerman19 said:

With acts like that the NHL is giving more incentives to the players to go play in the khl were the level gets higher and higher ever season...
Not allowing worlds superstars going out and play to the olympics is a big mistake and may on the longterm drive players out of it... especially ones who only miss an olympic medal

Well the NHL can do nothing if the players decide to go and pay for their own hotel, training so who cares. That being said Canada and the US would be hit the hardest by this because Sweden, Russia and even Finland are having enough talent playing in their home countries to overcome some stars not being there.

57 minutes ago, frankgrimes said:

Well the NHL can do nothing if the players decide to go and pay for their own hotel, training so who cares. That being said Canada and the US would be hit the hardest by this because Sweden, Russia and even Finland are having enough talent playing in their home countries to overcome some stars not being there.

Can I ask where you read this? I was not aware that it was built into the CBA that players can leave mid season to play in tournaments with zero ramifications.

Are you speculating? I feel that there would be some type of ramification, even if it's as small as being docked pay for time missed.

4 minutes ago, kliq said:

Can I ask where you read this? I was not aware that it was built into the CBA that players can leave mid season to play in tournaments with zero ramifications.

Are you speculating? I feel that there would be some type of ramification, even if it's as small as being docked pay for time missed.

it would be a hell of a protest if all the top players sat out that time

2 minutes ago, Echolalia said:

it would be a hell of a protest if all the top players sat out that time

That would be nuts. Can you imagine if a team didnt make the playoffs by a point or so and the same particular team lost the most players to this and went say 0-5 in the those 2 weeks?

I cant see it happening, especially if insurance is involved.

Fines suspensions and breach of contract.

Sent from my LGLS676 using Tapatalk

I have a feeling this isn't over.. we'll see. It will be interesting to see how the teams look if the NHL players all really don't play.

Will AHL, junior leagues, and college players be allowed? What about the ones that have already been drafted? (I'll admit I didn't read the article yet, so I'm sorry if these questions were answered in there). 

But I wouldn't be surprised if the players ended up being able to play in the end. I'm sure many of them will voice their displeasure. 

I'm fine with this.

It's hard to keep up with the Winter Olympics when they're not played on this side of the world.  The scheduling was terrible for the last Olympics.  All the games took place during work hours.  That means spoilers by the time you get home.  Not to mention, NBC and that idiot Bob Costas didn't show any hockey re-runs during the prime time evening hours.  They were too busy blowing Apollo Anton Ohno or some other doofus.  

This is gonna get messy. Some players are already outspoken about their intent to attend the Olympics whether they have permission or not. 

I see the NHL issuing coming out in the summer or early fall and announcing a huge fine to players who decide to go anyway. Something to the maximum monetary effect of a standard player contract. Waiting for the fireworks. 

Ovechkin has said if the NHL skipped the Olympics that he would go anyway.  I think he was referring to the games in Russia, but it will be interesting to see if he and some other players from the NHL decide to go.

3 hours ago, amato said:

I have a feeling this isn't over.. we'll see. 

This. The NHLPA is adamantly opposed to this decision, wouldn't be surprised if the tune changes at some point. Honestly I hope the superstars are the ones who say f*** it and go anyway. Then again I'm kind of fed up with the NHL in general right now so I enjoy things that may f*** them over. 

#teampetty

This. The NHLPA is adamantly opposed to this decision, wouldn't be surprised if the tune changes at some point. Honestly I hope the superstars are the ones who say f*** it and go anyway. Then again I'm kind of fed up with the NHL in general right now so I enjoy things that may f*** them over. 
#teampetty

Star players risk serious injury to play in games that generate 0 revenue for the owners and are played on the other side of the planet, and get almost no prime time tv exposure. I'd vote no too. The players want to go? Too bad. They signed contracts. I'd like to spend 6 weeks straight fishing and hunting in Alaska. My boss would tell me I have x vacation days, be back when I run out or find another job.

Oooooo passive-aggressive shots fired by Z!

Yeah they want you to promote their product while NFL and MLB seasons are on break, bro. They're businessmen. 

How do games that most people in North America won't see promote the game?

Betcha players go.. is anyone going to fire Ovi if he goes to play for his country? I'd be willing to bet he could find another job. 

Like I said, top players like him might get away with it. Guys like Tatar and Nyquist probably couldn't.

Ooooo drama. This is fun.

Assuming NHLPA capitulates and 99% of NHL players abid by the rules and dont go, who does Canada send? US?

It would be very interesting to see how countries stack up without their NHL talent. I almost like this more.

Can the US send a rag tag squad of college misfits to take on the superior Russian Kontintel Leage?

Or perhaps an underdog youth squad from the twin cities battling team iceland?