• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Wing Across The Pond

NHL will not participate in 2018 Winter Olympics

Rate this topic

54 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Ooooo drama. This is fun.

Assuming NHLPA capitulates and 99% of NHL players abid by the rules and dont go, who does Canada send? US?

It would be very interesting to see how countries stack up without their NHL talent. I almost like this more.

Can the US send a rag tag squad of college misfits to take on the superior Russian Kontintel Leage?

Or perhaps an underdog youth squad from the twin cities battling team iceland?

Gotta watch out for Gunnar Stahl

8 hours ago, DickieDunn said:

Like I said, top players like him might get away with it. Guys like Tatar and Nyquist probably couldn't.

Sent from my LGLS676 using Tapatalk

I'm thinking they could too. Most anyone good enough to play in the olympics probably could. We'll see where this actually ends up,,

NHL needs to maintain their stance and not bow down to the players. If the NHL are hardballers, which they are, they'll schedule the busiest schedule they can during those two weeks. 

I, for one, don't think professional players should be playing in an amateur tournament. I understand the debate about the best players in the world, etc...but I just feel it should be players that aren't in the NHL or the KHL for that matter.

IMO, you either decide to play in the International Federation or the NHL. If you decide to sign the NHL contract and breach that contract, your contract is null and void and your ability to sign in the NHL again is blocked. Now if the NHL and the NHLPA want to work something into the next CBA, fine, but as of now, if the people who pay your exuberant salary say no, then it's no. You breach, you're no longer in the NHL. 

2 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

NHL needs to maintain their stance and not bow down to the players. If the NHL are hardballers, which they are, they'll schedule the busiest schedule they can during those two weeks. 

I, for one, don't think professional players should be playing in an amateur tournament. I understand the debate about the best players in the world, etc...but I just feel it should be players that aren't in the NHL or the KHL for that matter.

IMO, you either decide to play in the International Federation or the NHL. If you decide to sign the NHL contract and breach that contract, your contract is null and void and your ability to sign in the NHL again is blocked. Now if the NHL and the NHLPA want to work something into the next CBA, fine, but as of now, if the people who pay your exuberant salary say no, then it's no. You breach, you're no longer in the NHL. 

This, especially the KHL.

1 hour ago, LeftWinger said:

but I just feel it should be players that aren't in the NHL or the KHL for that matter.

Russia would never agree with that or find some way to circumvent it just so they could win.

Edited by BadgerBob

I honestly can't think of a valid reason as to why the NHL should participate.  I get that the players would like to, for me personally, I'd like them to, but from an NHL perspective, it makes zero sense.  Not only are you asking the owners to shut down during the middle of their season, it is also during a time where they face little competition (no baseball or football).  That's a big Cost #1.  Cost #2 is a risk of player injury, not only that, it's a risk of injury to your star players.  So if you do the cost vs. benefit analysis, we have 2 big costs and for benefit....ummmm.....nothing.  Even when the games are in N.A., there really is no additional measurable exposure participation brings to the game.

I'll miss not having them there and think it sucks, but if I use logic, it doesn't make sense to go.  Zetterberg's comment has some truth to it....owners probably want something in return, but why is Z being a whiner about it?  Why shouldn't the NHL expect something?

i really do hate Bettman. SOB cheats me out of an opportunity to watch some of my favorite players in my own time zone. Thanks you jerkoff. 

Meanwhile...

"Capitals owner Ted Leonsis has made it clear that he’s fine with Ovechkin or any Capitals player leaving during the 2017-18 season, even if the NHL doesn’t send its players.

“If Alex Ovechkin and Braden Holtby and Nick Backstrom tell us, ‘We want to go play for our country,’ how am I going to say no?” Leonsis said. “I might get fined. I might get punished in some way. But I feel I’m in partnership with Nick and Braden and Alex.”

IMG_1031.thumb.PNG.222ab7fdcdf5013f767f65dcab9cdf25.PNG
IMG_1030.thumb.PNG.5c5b73aaa4758b5cdee5277c06a38c03.PNG

Fetisov is such a hypocrite.

i really do hate Bettman. SOB cheats me out of an opportunity to watch some of my favorite players in my own time zone. Thanks you jerkoff. 
Meanwhile...

"Capitals owner Ted Leonsis has made it clear that he’s fine with Ovechkin or any Capitals player leaving during the 2017-18 season, even if the NHL doesn’t send its players.

“If Alex Ovechkin and Braden Holtby and Nick Backstrom tell us, ‘We want to go play for our country,’ how am I going to say no?” Leonsis said. “I might get fined. I might get punished in some way. But I feel I’m in partnership with Nick and Braden and Alex.”

You realize that this decision was made by the owners, who employ Bettman and tell him exactly what to say, right?

Just now, Echolalia said:

LGW should assemble a roster to submit to the olympics for US.  I play forward, playmaker, responsible defensively, not a bruiser.

Can I submit my resume for a center slot? good speed and shot, can win faceoffs..  I want @NerveDamage and you on my wings though. Row 8 bros, drinking dem Stroh's. :P 

1 hour ago, Datsyukian-Deke said:

IMG_1031.PNG

IMG_1030.PNG

Markov just made a bunch of statements about how he wants to retire a Hab or something like that, but he's old, maybe he pulls a Datsyuk.
Radulov just made a name for himself in the NHL again, is he really just going to go back again right away? Seems unlikely, but you never know with him.
The rest of those guys, save kutsnutsov, I could see leaving possibly.

12 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Ooooo drama. This is fun.

Assuming NHLPA capitulates and 99% of NHL players abid by the rules and dont go, who does Canada send? US?

It would be very interesting to see how countries stack up without their NHL talent. I almost like this more.

Can the US send a rag tag squad of college misfits to take on the superior Russian Kontintel Leage?

Or perhaps an underdog youth squad from the twin cities battling team iceland?

The entire 2016 Red Wings roster should be allowed to go.  

First off the players are paid by the owners not the NHL.
Maybe check your facts next time the Olympics aren't an amateur tournament they are the biggest international stage in hockey.
I hope the players are hardballers and just go anyways...OV already said he will go and his owner understands so tough luck NHL

1 hour ago, frankgrimes said:

First off the players are paid by the owners not the NHL.
Maybe check your facts next time the Olympics aren't an amateur tournament they are the biggest international stage in hockey.
I hope the players are hardballers and just go anyways...OV already said he will go and his owner understands so tough luck NHL

Why do you keep pushing this narrative in every post? I get you dont care for the owners, but you make it sound like the players will do what they want and their will be no ramifications.

The owners have all the power here legally speaking whether or not we as fans agree with them.

I don't think a player would be stupid enough to go against their team's wishes. I am pretty sure (I admit I need to fact check this) that if they suffered a career threatening injury while playing hockey on a team outside of their own against the teams/NHL's wishes, that player would not collect another dime from the NHL. For some players we are talking big money here. Is it really worth it?

Edited by kliq

Why do you keep pushing this narrative in every post? I get you dont care for the owners, but you make it sound like the players will do what they want and their will be no ramifications.

The owners have all the power here legally speaking whether or not we as fans agree with them.

I don't think a player would be stupid enough to go against their team's wishes. I am pretty sure (I admit I need to fact check this) that if they suffered a career threatening injury while playing hockey on a team outside of their own against the teams/NHL's wishes, that player would not collect another dime from the NHL. For some players we are talking big money here. Is it really worth it?

It's not a narrative it's a fact if the biggest stars are going AND some owners like Leonsis allow it? The NHL can do nothing about it.

Personally i think it will be a very individual decision for some it will be worth it, others who may be on their last contract anyways i could also see them going.

I think the chaos will be fantastic to watch

Of course their will be some ramifications like paying for the missed time, covering your own hotel and flight costs but to most of these guys that's nothing

46 minutes ago, frankgrimes said:

It's not a narrative it's a fact if the biggest stars are going AND some owners like Leonsis allow it? The NHL can do nothing about it.

Personally i think it will be a very individual decision for some it will be worth it, others who may be on their last contract anyways i could also see them going.

Of course their will be some ramifications like paying for the missed time, covering your own hotel and flight costs but to most of these guys that's nothing

Who told you this? I don't think that's true at all.

Pretty sure Leonsis said he's willing to personally eat the NHL's sanctions to allow Ovi and Kutsnutsoff to go. The NHL is not powerless here.

Anyone know mores?

don't be ridiculous. no one important player will go. those guys are pretty pragmatic. fines - a lunch money - aren't issue, but say one got season-ending injury - he looses his salary, no insurance will cover it. ovie will be the loudest, screaming and arguing and whatnot, but won't go anyway.

24 minutes ago, ami said:

don't be ridiculous. no one important player will go. those guys are pretty pragmatic. fines - a lunch money - aren't issue, but say one got season-ending injury - he looses his salary, no insurance will cover it. ovie will be the loudest, screaming and arguing and whatnot, but won't go anyway.

I tend to agree with you.

Holtby: "it's a personal decision for each guy but I would not leave the Caps and go to South Korea if there's no deal"

So far Ovi is the only one explicitly saying he will actually break the rules and go. The rest has just been grumbling from players.

Will be interesting to see how the KHL leverages this to their advantage.

43 minutes ago, ami said:

Uh, the entire purpose of insurance is, in fact, to cover that.

But insurance is likely to be the determining factor. Assuming the NHL sticks to their guns, they won't be paying for it. I highly doubt players would be willing to pay for it (especially if they'd be facing fines and loss of pay already). I doubt the IIHF or Olympics would pay for it. It would probably fall to the individual national teams, and many would likely be unable or unwilling to pay for it. 

If a player gets hurt, they wouldn't get paid until they were cleared again and could have their contracts terminated. If a team lets players go, the league could fine them, make them forfeit picks, and/or not allow them to replace the players who leave.

2 hours ago, frankgrimes said:

Your ignoring the insurance side of the debate because you enjoy watching the players stick it to the owners. I'm not pro owners, however the reality of the situation is that the owners are the one's with the power here. The biggest stars are the one's with the most to lose.

One player said he's playing regardless and one owner said he'd let his players go, and yes, the NHL can do something.